• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Name at least 5 reasons why you like you path, faith or religion.

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
Most people who follow a spiritual path, faith or religion have motivations or reasons why they consider theirs to be better suited to their needs and perhaps even to the needs of the whole world.

Can you name at least five or perhaps even more than five reasons why your path, faith or religion is best for you or for the whole world?

Altfish

Veteran Member
  • It suits me and my lack of belief.
  • 99% of my friends follow a similar path
  • I do not have to believe in anything on 'faith'.
  • Sundays are free for life's important issues like family and friends
  • Science and nature fills me with wonder
  • I'm not afraid, when answering the big questions to say, "I do not know"

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Most people who follow a spiritual path, faith or religion have motivations or reasons why they consider theirs to be better suited to their needs and perhaps even to the needs of the whole world.

Can you name at least five or perhaps even more than five reasons why your path, faith or religion is best for you or for the whole world?

Well. All my life I've always had brain issues. Both neurological and psychological. I didn't understand about the heart-olgical of spirituality (nor that term) growing up. So it was all a medical blah.

Then, after flirting with christian theology, and pondering over my mother's withcrafic life, I pretty much took up a lot of things that made sense in my childhood that aren't scientific.

Years later, I started practicing Zen Buddhist. Fast forward. Nichiren. I learned Buddhism is all about the mind. Understanding the mind. And finding the source of our spirit-ual beliefs and facts interpretations, perceptions, and ideals of the mind. So, it's not scientific in that psychology and heart-stuff people call god does exist. I just see the logic behind these beliefs and experiences mind oriented.

So, that felt refreshing to put that together. So, it brings clarify and pretty much wisdom in experiences and practices. It just makes sense.

As for cosmic reasons I believe, nothing really. I don't treat it as a religion. I feel religion or spiritual beliefs are facts regardless where we put our faith. I settled more on my art and find more liberation through that than meditation. The theology is tough to understand but not to where I doubt it's validity.

Last edited:

YeshuaRedeemed

Revelation 3:10
I love being a Christian because Jesus is amazing, the Bible is amazing, Jesus saved my life and still makes me feel safe, I think the Father is amazing, and Holy Spirit is amazing.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

First of all we need to find the path that works best for us individually. There is no point in advocating a path for others if the path we take does not work for us. Then the path we chose may work for us, but for very few others.

It can be trial an error.

The paths I explored prior to becoming a Baha'i were:

Christianity
Atheism
Buddhism
Hinduism

1/ Through Buddhism and Hinduism I learnt how to meditate.

2/ Through Atheism I learn there was a God.

3/ Within Christianity I learnt about the power of the Manifestion/incarnation of God.

4/ I learnt there was a light or wisdom within Buddhism and Hinduism similar to Christianity.

5/ The Baha'i Faith affirmed the truths I had learn and brought these strands together in a coherent manner.

The five reasons for becoming a Baha'i for me?

1/ Meditation
2/ Monotheism
3/ The Manifestation of God
4/ Divine Wisdom
5/ Coherent universalism

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

I cannot. In fact, I cannot even name one. I see it less as what is best for me or the world or what I like about it than I see it as what merely is.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd pretty much second what @adrian009 said.
Not so much that atheism has taught me there is a God, although the idea that we learn through our journey is universal.
But the path I tread wouldn't help everyone, nor make sense to everyone.
Believing this helps me be more accepting of other people's paths.

If our journey informs us, then it's worth remembering we've all been on different journeys, so we all see the world in different way.
I hope there is enough commonality that we can teach and learn from each other, but thinking there is one right answer that works for everyone seems far more problematic than the alternative.

Hmm...the 'hope there is enough commonality that we can teach and learn from each other' sounds a little too koombaya-ish for me. I'd rather suggest that I can both learn and teach people with diverse beliefs. And that some people seem beyond either learning of teaching regardless.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
So doesn't that convey qualities like 'honesty' or 'transparency'?

I suppose, but I can't say that these qualities are unique to my worldview, nor is it my place to judge whether these qualities are necessarily the best for everyone.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
1) provides a channel for direct communion with the divine
2) a living preceptor that can give personal guidance
3) very few books to read, limited gridded intellect
4) opportunities to experience other cultures
5) a strong belief in non-proselytizing, (goes with personal shyness)
6) tolerance and respect for humanity
7) allows for independent thinking, not crowd uniformity
8) methodologies for cleaning the dross of the subconscious
9) opportunities for humble service

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Great things about being an atheist.
5) No scripture to study, memorize or obey
4) No guilt for enjoying what comes naturally
3) No need to kill or steal in the name of any deity.
2) Free inquiry into anything
1) Eating bacon wrapped shrimp

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
Not that these points consciously attracted me to my present path from the start (except perhaps the first point):

1. It is a Neo-humanist (an extended type of humanism) or spiritual path rather than religious or atheist
2. It blends the strongest practical elements of five main religions into one modern neo-humanistic path and doesn't feel like any particular religion but more like a set of useful practices supported by a rational spiritual and social philosophy
3. It blends five main types of approach to spiritual practice (it blends five types of Tantra)
4. It has meditation and yoga besides (other, more physico-psychic) devotional practices (also collective types)
5. It combines spiritual practices with social service and striving for a better socio-economic structure with minimum necessities guaranteed to all in society

Before I met this path I did not like religious ways of thinking, I liked philosophy, science and social improvement but also felt attracted to a deeper understanding of the universe and my relation to it (as a form of consciousness) and vaguely felt attracted to mysticism in general.

I was not consciously looking for a specific path, it somehow found me. But it fits me perfectly like a glove and knowing the Master of this path feels like a huge bonus.

Last edited:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Secular humanism is an intelligent and compassionate ideology based on the application of reason and empathy to evidence. It has given the world two huge gifts: science, and the modern, liberal democratic state with limited government and guaranteed personal liberties. These two things have transformed the world, turning subjects into autonomous citizens with longer lives that are also healthier, easier, and more comfortable.

Notably, secular humanism is free of faith based thought and religious beliefs, which I consider liberating. One of its bedrock principles is rational skepticism, or the insistence that nothing be believed without empiric support, and then, only to the degree that the quality and quantity of available relevant evidence justifies, and always tentatively, that is, with the willingness to modify belief as new evidence dictates.

This is among the best ideas that mankind has ever had, up there with things like justice. It turned alchemy into chemistry, astrology into astronomy, and creationism into evolutionary science, transforming them from sterile avenues of inquiry into modern sciences that allow us to predict and at times control outcomes.

I also admire the rational ethics of secular humanism, in which a community chooses goals for itself based on empathetic reciprocity, or the Golden Rule. Humanists choose a community which is free, safe, tolerant, just, and facilitates economic opportunity as well as self-development (education, personal integrity). To accomplish those goals, rules are devised, tested, and tweaked where necessary to facilitate achieving the desired society.

This has been an excellent choice for me. Life has been good. I came out of Christianity, which was a dark ideology, one that taught that we were all goners (it's always the end times), we might end up being tortured for eternity, we are born spiritually diseased (sinners) and need a cure, that the world is a bad place (worldly is a derogatory term) and fit for apocalyptic destruction, one's own flesh and mind are enemies, demons are trying to destroy us, we are being constantly watched and judged.

The change to secular humanism restored hope for the world and mankind, and ended the bondage of hell theology. Submission and faith were no longer the highest virtues. They were replaced by autonomy and reason. When a cute little doe-eyed girl dies of leukemia sometime later today (and one will somewhere), I now have the comfort of knowing that it was just rotten luck, and not something caused by or allowed to happen by an unseen overlord.

With the conversion, my attention turned from holy books and prayer to academic instruction, which has paid off richly. It's simply more interesting to live in a head filled with wonder and stimulating ideas rather than spending my days reading scripture while waiting to die in the hope of something better thereafter. Like I said, I found that worldview to be rather dark and negative. Humanism celebrates humanity rather than see it as weak and sick.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
1) I believe it is the most correct understanding we can sort of get our minds around

2) It fills me with love, peace and happiness despite the surface level ups and downs of the world.

3) The belief that I am more than one short life, but eternal, renders everything more meaningful.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I love many of the answers in this thread and applaud people's clarity of thought. I am more in the camp of @SalixIncendium in that I recognize my uniqueness, it's sort of hard to miss, but wouldn't suggest that my ideas are superior to others. They do work for me.

5, eh?

In no particular order.

4. I am intensely analytical. It literally never stops. Perhaps not an intellectual powerhouse, but I get by with what I have.

2. Empathy. I actually have to put baffles on empathy so that I am not overly affected by circumstances.

5. The undying bliss. It too, literally never stops, but does ebb and flow. (It sound frivolous, but this byproduct will get you through the times when nothing else will. It directly supports resilience.)

1. Meditation - that process whereby the visitor learns how to get back home.

3. Listening. I love to talk but I love to listen more.

6. Learning new things - this is perhaps the key to my understanding. Never stop learning! You will never know everything. (Maintaining your learning centres will actually help stave off mental deterioration with the onset of old age, in many cases, if my understanding is correct.)

I'll keep you posted, LOL.

GoodbyeDave

1. The gods have been good to me.
2. Polytheism is based on evidence.
3. — doesn't require me to have faith in things for which there's no evidence.
4. — doesn't require me to go around trying to convert others nor to discriminate against them.
5. My variety of polytheism has inspired great art and literature and is the foundation of Western civilisation. That's not to say I can't empathise with other civilisations, but obviously what I was raised in is uniquely mine.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
1. It places God at the apex -- I need to have something greater than myself out there, indeed something even greater than humanity, to give meaning to life.
2. It is a religion of orthopraxy rather than orthodoxy. Sometimes I believe very firmly. Other times my beliefs are quite weak. But my actions I always have control over. I also think that actions are the best indicators of our love, our faith, etc. And finally, I want a religion that's more than sitting in church and singing songs with pretty words.
3. It is a religion that is rooted in history. God isn't simply some celestial watch maker who created the universe and now sits back and watches it tick. He becomes involved with us, interacting with us, with Abraham, with Moses, with the prophets. In a different way, he is still interacting with us even today.
4. It is a communal religion. It's NOT "Just me and God." It's "God and Israel." I have an entire people to hold me up, to embrace me, to share my joys and sorrows.
5. It is NOT a shallow religion, but has more depth than I could ever possibly explore in my lifetime.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

1) I don't have to wonder about anything. The Bible explains it all.

2) The Bible is the best guide for living no matter what the world is doing.

3) The moral guidance given by the Bible prevents bad outcomes and leads to good decisions.

4) The God I worship has everything under control and will repair the damage man has done to the world and its creatures.

5) Everyone in the world would benefit by getting to know my God and to follow the path he recommends.
Everlasting life in paradise on earth awaits those who follow his teachings and abide by his laws.