• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Name as identity of God

questfortruth

@blü 2: " IF God is said to have objective existence, independently of anyone's concept of [him], why is there no coherent definition of such a god, so that if we found a real suspect, we could determine whether it was God or not? There's also no coherent definition of 'godness', the real quality a real god would have and a real superscientist who could create universes, raise the dead, travel in time and so on, would lack."

Quest: "So, if a being is Omnipotent, Omnipresent, All-powerful, and has created the Universe, hell and Paradise, has raised the people from the death, has defeated satan, he might be just a highly advanced alien from a distant planet, but not God. What would it make us to call him God? His name. If his true name is God, then he is God, not an alien from a distant planet. The identity of a person is his name, look in the video. Word God means All-Merciful. Many names have meaning, for example Jesus in Hebrew is Saviour. Girls in Russia have names Love, Hope, Faith"

Christine has said that word God translates as imploring in the English Theology. Hence, God means All-merciful because He is Imploring. Definition of implore | Dictionary.com
"Implore definition.... mercy". Why cannot God beg atheists to accept salvation?
Otherwise, sinner will kill God in his heart and joy-ly say with Nitzsche "God is dead."

God puts emphasize on the importance of the person's name. Hence, His name can be plain and simple - God. It is not a position/title/profession because there is only one God. God is unique identity of the Being. The unique identity is understood as name. It is definition of the name. For example, even the brave Trump or Biden have never said "I am God." God loves to talk about mystery of the name:

The one who is victorious I will make a pillar in the temple of My God. Never again will they leave it. I will write on them the name of My God and the name of the city of My God, the new Jerusalem, which is coming down out of heaven from My God; and I will also write on them My new name. Revelation 3:12

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
@blü 2: " IF God is said to have objective existence, independently of anyone's concept of [him], why is there no coherent definition of such a god, so that if we found a real suspect, we could determine whether it was God or not? There's also no coherent definition of 'godness', the real quality a real god would have and a real superscientist who could create universes, raise the dead, travel in time and so on, would lack."

Quest: "So, if a being is Omnipotent, Omnipresent, All-powerful, and has created the Universe, hell and Paradise, has raised the people from the death, has defeated satan, he might be just a highly advanced alien from a distant planet, but not God. What would it make us to call him God? His name. If his true name is God, then he is God, not an alien from a distant planet. The identity of a person is his name, look in the video."

God is a title not a name :)
Same as Buddha means enlighten one
God means the supreme or ultimate reality as one example of what the word God means

questfortruth

God is a 6th century AD word derived from the proto germanic word ǥuđán...

According to the best efforts of linguists and researchers, the most common theory is that the root of the present word God is the Sanskrit word hu which means to call upon, invoke, implore.
The Etymology of the word God
I need to hear the position of Russian Theologists. Their knowledge: God means All-merciful.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
There are at least two sciences in the world, according to two gods: satan and God.
Hence, I need to hear the position of Russian Theologists. Their knowledge: God means All-merciful.

I don't really care how Russia interprets the word, what i do care about it it's etymology

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Quest: "So, if a being is Omnipotent, Omnipresent, All-powerful, and has created the Universe, hell and Paradise, has raised the people from the death, has defeated satan, he might be just a highly advanced alien from a distant planet, but not God.
We're specifically talking about real entities here, and the only possibly real talents you mention are reversing bodily decay after death to the point where the body can be reanimated without deficit, and being an extraterrestrial.
What would it make us to call him God?
So far, ignorance of what a real God really is.
His name.
The entity might not be a male, and it might not have a name. We'll know more when you bring your sample down to the lab.
If his true name is God, then he is God.
That's just silly. None of the people named Smith I know have been smiths. My friend Ms McDonald is not a son and does not have a father named Donald. President Putin is not a roadway. And so on.
not an alien from a distant planet.
What's your evidence for that claim?

questfortruth

Nope, implore means 'to beg earnestly for mercy '

Please don't omit relevent words from definitions
Why cannot God beg atheists to accept salvation?
Otherwise, sinner will kill God in his heart and joy-ly say with Nitzsche "God is dead."

Last edited:

...Word God means All-Merciful....

I think it depends on what god are you talking about. I have understood the word god is like a title and a position, similar to a king, but higher. All people have something as their god, ultimate authority that rules them and that can be seen from what they serve and what rules them. For some it may be fear, and for some it can be love, but as Bob Dylan sings, you gotta serve somebody.