• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Name a Christian church in America that:

What is "Christian atheism"? How can a follower of Christ not believe in God?

Christ without God is like the Earth without the life-giving sea, soil, rain, moon and sun.

It's impossible to have a Godless Jesus Christ!
I find that title questionable too, so I googled it. Still reading, but basically it's not believing in God, or believing God died, while still following the teachings of Jesus, and Christian culture.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
1. addresses the Spirit of God only as "Holy Ghost" and that the Holy Ghost is in the form of a dove

2. accepts only the Holy Bible (King James Version) for its canon of Christian faith

3. accepts Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and as the only Mediator between Man and God

4. does NOT recognize homosexuality as a sin, therefore is LGBT affirming

5. does NOT accept the ordination of women

6. accepts God as only a male person

I cannot interpret anything in Scripture as a direct prohibition against homosexuality. I can, however, see strong arguments against women ministers in I Timothy and I Corinthians. Holy Spirit is never used in the King James Version, but only "Holy Ghost" is used in the First English Language Bible first published in 1611.

The only LGBT-affirming church I could find in Lawton, Oklahoma is Emmanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church but ELCA unfortunately ordains women ministers. I believe God did not design women with the power and authority to deliver sacraments. Until I find a church near my home that meets all six conditions my hind side is not inclined to come in contact with a pew.

I was baptised a United Methodist at age 17, but this church's acceptance of women ministers, referral to God as "Father and Mother" and her statement in her social principles that she does not condone homosexuality and that homsexuality is not compatible with Christian teachings has driven me away from her and churchgoing for the most part. When a Southern baptsist minister proclaims that he hates homsexuality during service and when at least one other church waves God Hates F_gs signs, I progressively have gotten turned off cold from the faith. I would like to come back home to Christ in a church that meet all my criteria but it might be a tall order: a church conservative enough to ordain men only but liberal enough to accept LGBT.
Sounds like you can start a new church.

Jonathan Bailey

Sounds like you can start a new church.

Yes, the First American Church.

My church would have a seventh requirement:

7. pride in American citizenship, respect for the Constitution, including the Second Amendment: a large American flag would always be displayed on the church lawn to the right of the church and illuminated at night if flown during the hours of darkness. A storm flag would be flown in inclement weather.

We would strive to be one church under God and Christ: we as American citizens and as congregation members would strive to make America one nation under God by the examples we set for others to follow by our own conduct. I'm a virtually model railroader by hobby. A church is featured on my layout as well as an old-fashioned school house.

2r27v3s.jpg

2r6i4gx.jpg

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Yes, the First American Church.

My church would have a seventh requirement:

7. pride in American citizenship, respect for the Constitution, including the Second Amendment: a large American flag would always be displayed on the church lawn to the right of the church and illuminated at night if flown during the hours of darkness. A storm flag would be flown in inclement weather.

We would strive to be one church under God and Christ: we as American citizens and as congregation members would strive to make America one nation under God by the examples we set for others to follow by our own conduct.
it's a free country.

Jonathan Bailey

I find that title questionable too, so I googled it. Still reading, but basically it's not believing in God, or believing God died, while still following the teachings of Jesus, and Christian culture.

God never died. God is immortal. His only begotten Son died a physical death on the cross but now has eternal life too.

John 3:16 KJV
For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Terry Sampson

Would your hymnal include:

??

"Different Drum" (The Stone Poneys)

You and I travel to the beat of a diff'rent drum.
Oh, can't you tell by the way I run
Ev'ry time you make eyes at me. Wo oh.
You cry and you moan and say it will work out.
But honey child I've got my doubts.
You can't see the forest for the trees.

Oh, don't get me wrong. It's not that I'm knockin'.
It's just that I'm not in the market
For a girl who wants to love only me.
Yes, and I ain't sayin' you ain't pretty.
All I'm sayin's I'm not ready for any person,
Place or thing to try and pull the reins in on me.
So Goodbye, I'll be leavin'.
I see no sense in the cryin' and grievin'.
We'll both live a lot longer if you live without me.

Spartan

I progressively have gotten turned off cold from the faith. I would like to come back home to Christ in a church that meet all my criteria but it might be a tall order: a church conservative enough to ordain men only but liberal enough to accept LGBT.

Why would any church approve of illicit homosexual sin? If you want a church that approves of gay sex then you won't have a real church. What you will have is a synagogue of Satan.

Jonathan Bailey

Why would any church approve of illicit homosexual sin? If you want a church that approves of gay sex then you won't have a real church. What you will have is a synagogue of Satan.

Because such church can find no hard evidence in scripture that same-sex committed relationships are a sin against God.

The only bad things in the bible in reference to homosexuality have to do with the rape of male angels, homosexual prostitution and possible homosexual pedophilia. There is nothing prohibited against same-sex relationships between two committed and consenting adults. The old Jewish priests who wrote old Jewish purity law in Leviticus may have thought homsexuality to be an "abomination" in their own eyes but who are they to judge through God's eyes?

II Samuel glorifies a same-sex relationship between King David and Jonathan.

2 Samuel 1:26 King James Version (KJV)
26 I am distressed for thee, my brother Jonathan: very pleasant hast thou been unto me: thy love to me was wonderful, passing the love of women.

Last edited:

Jonathan Bailey

Would your hymnal include:

??

"Different Drum" (The Stone Poneys)

You and I travel to the beat of a diff'rent drum.
Oh, can't you tell by the way I run
Ev'ry time you make eyes at me. Wo oh.
You cry and you moan and say it will work out.
But honey child I've got my doubts.
You can't see the forest for the trees.

But this is not even a religious song. I like the harpsichord, though.

Spartan

Because such church can find no hard evidence in scripture that same-sex committed relationships are a sin against God.

Let's review what God and the Bible actually say about homosexual sin:

Leviticus 18:22 - "Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable."

Leviticus 20:13 - "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."

Romans 1:26-27 - "Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion."

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 - "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

1 Timothy 1:8-10 - “But we know that the law is good if one uses it lawfully, knowing this: that the law is not made for a righteous person, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and for sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, for fornicators, for sodomites, for kidnappers, for liars, for perjurers, and if there is any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine…”

Jude 7 – “In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire.”

There's no approval of gay sex or gay marriage in either the Old or New Testaments.

Jonathan Bailey

Let's review what God and the Bible actually say about homosexual sin:

Leviticus 18:22 - "Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable."

Leviticus 20:13 - "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."

Romans 1:26-27 - "Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion."

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 - "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

1 Timothy 1:8-10 - “But we know that the law is good if one uses it lawfully, knowing this: that the law is not made for a righteous person, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and for sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, for fornicators, for sodomites, for kidnappers, for liars, for perjurers, and if there is any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine…”

Jude 7 – “In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire.”

There's no approval of gay sex or gay marriage in either the Old or New Testaments.

Second Samuel is indeed in the Holy Bible and this verse does seem to approve of loving another man surpassing the love for women.

2 Samuel 1:26 King James Version (KJV)
26 I am distressed for thee, my brother Jonathan: very pleasant hast thou been unto me: thy love to me was wonderful, passing the love of women.

Jonathan did more for King David than any two-legged creature with a vagina and boobs. Who can better excite a man than another man!

Last edited:

Jonathan Bailey

Just another example of a professing Christian choosing which scriptures to obey.

There are some things in scripture that are the opinions of certain human individuals who authored them as in same-sex relationships to be "abominable". Leviticus doesn't say to WHOM "homosexuality" is abominable. It certainly is not a commandment from God or Jesus Christ not to do something. Christians should only take direct orders from God or Jesus Christ whether printed in scripture or otherwise. I will refrain from homosexual practice forever should I ever be commanded by God or Jesus Christ to do so, directly from the tongue or pen of those persons, of by the the Holy Ghost or by God's angels.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
What is another interpretation of this one?

Leviticus 20
13 If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them.
What about the culture of an ancient, Judaic writer might be different from ours? What about Temple Judaism theology is different from ours? Answer those questions, and you may have an answer to your question.