• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Naked Swimming In School

Skwim

Veteran Member
I happened to come across this history of swimming when swimming naked in school pools was encouraged, which in some schools was a required form of swimming right into the early 1970's

.............................Naked Swimming In School Pt. 1...........................................................................Naked Swimming In School Pt. 2.

(There's a third, no so interesting, part 3 that can be accessed right from YouTube.)

My thought here is how uptight we've become about innocent nudity.

Last edited:

Curious George

Veteran Member
I happened to come across this history of swimming when swimming naked in school pools was encouraged, which in some schools was a required form of swimming right into the early 1970's

.............................Naked Swimming In School Pt. 1...........................................................................Naked Swimming In School Pt. 2.

(There's a third, no so interesting, part 3 that can be accessed right from YouTube.)

I suppose i am not against naked swimming if it is the students choice. But I am certainly against schools forcing kids to swim naked. I don't see why it would be reasonable to require people to swim naked. Don't know if I am up tp watching twenty minutes to find this particular argument. Is there any reason to require naked swimming?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In my junior high school, naked swimming was required for boys, prohibited for girls.
We had a really creepy gym teacher who did unwanted touching.
But complaints fell on deaf ears.

siti

I am inclined to agree in principle but I have serious reservations about the idea that adolescent boys in the 1970s would have taken compulsory nude swimming lessons as "innocent nudity". I'm even less convinced that their teachers necessarily did. I was an adolescent boy in the 1970s - not in the US and not in a school that had nude swimming - we always wore trunks for swimming from the late 60s at least as far as I can recall - but we had no qualms about showering nude together after a game or sports lesson - I don't know what they do now, but even as late as the late 1990s the university (where I then worked) had a gym that had communal showers in the male changing room - as did the athletics club I was a member of - and there, everyone from 6-year-old-kids to 60-something veterans shared communal showers and thought nothing of it - at least I thought nothing of it. Where I work now its all private shower cubicles at both the gym and the pool and I don't do team sports any more. Maybe its changed everywhere?

Curious George

Veteran Member
In my junior high school, naked swimming was required for boys, prohibited for girls.
We had a really creepy gym teacher who did unwanted touching.
But complaints fell on deaf ears.
Creepy gym teacher is not a good reason to require naked swimming. But this explains some of your backwards thinking, you went to backwards school.

Just joking btw.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Creepy gym teacher is not a good reason to require naked swimming. But this explains some of your backwards thinking, you went to backwards school.

Just joking btw.
My school was one of the best & most progressive in the state.
Alas, that still didn't prevent them from hiring & tolerating teachers
who needed the boot....a "swift boot".
It was the 60s. S*** happened in the 60s.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I suppose i am not against naked swimming if it is the students choice. But I am certainly against schools forcing kids to swim naked. I don't see why it would be reasonable to require people to swim naked. Don't know if I am up tp watching twenty minutes to find this particular argument. Is there any reason to require naked swimming?
As related in the video, in earlier years when men and boys went swimming they always swam in swimming holes and lakes without suits. Swim suits were regarded as an unnecessary expense. Then when the suits did become affordable they were only worn to protect the sensibilities of any females who might happened by. When indoor pools opened up males and females swam separately, so there was no need for males to wear a suit---females did wear swimming suits only because of the perceived female propriety. The video also say that the nude male body symbolized youth and vigor, and was therefore acceptable. Aside from this, the early wool swimsuits were deemed unhealthy because they harbored bacteria that could spread deadly diseases. Because of this threat, in the mid 1920's the American Public Health Association published guidelines for swimming pool management that recommended that males swim nude, although it recommended that women wear unadorned and undyed tank suits. Having to wear swimming suits wasn't seen as much of problem to women because very few of them swam. In any case, the practice of males swimming naked was well established in the American mind. In 1947 the American Public Health Association came out with the strong recommendation that males swim nude, and that women, if they wished could also swim nude if they wished, although all swimming was to be segregated. The video goes on to point out that in 1960 Walt Disney Studios came out with the movie Pollyanna, which has a scene in which fully naked boys are pictured going into the water. So even up to this point males swimming naked was quite acceptable.

Last edited:

Shaul

Premium Member
I haven’t heard any of the kids I teach asking for this. And if some outside adults want to push for it, that’s kind of creepy. Adolescents have enough pressure coming into self awareness that they don’t need this for added angst and worries with body image issues.

Great guns, teenagers today don’t even want to do physical education at all. This idea is a non-starter.

Curious George

Veteran Member
As related in the video, in earlier years when men and boys went swimming they always swam in swimming holes and lakes without suits. Swim suits were regarded as an unnecessary expense. Then when the suits did become affordable they were only worn to protect the sensibilities of any females who might happened by. When indoor pools opened up males and females swam separately, so there was no need for males to wear a suit---females did wear swimming suits only because of the perceived female propriety. The video also say that the nude male body symbolized youth and vigor, and was therefore acceptable. Aside from this, the early wool swimsuits were deemed unhealthy because they harbored bacteria that could spread deadly diseases. Because of this threat, in the mid 1920's the American Public Health Association published guidelines for swimming pool management that recommended that males swim nude, although it recommended that women wear unadorned and undyed tank suits. Having to wear swimming suits wasn't seen as much of problem to women because very few of them swam. In any case, the practice of males swimming naked was well established in the American mind. In 1947 the American Public Health Association came out with the strong recommendation that males swim nude, and that women, if they wished could also swim nude if they wished, although all swimming was to be segregated. The video goes on to point out that in 1960 Walt Disney Studios came out with the movie Pollyanna, which has a scene in which fully naked boys are pictured going into the water. So even up to this point males swimming naked was quite acceptable.

So after the 60s and 70s there was really no reason require nude swimming? So, it ought to be swimmers choice?

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle

You should say Americans have become uptight about nudity. Most of the rest of the world isn't so "ashamed" of a naked body as Americans are.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Well...the US have always normalized male nudity in movies.
In Italy it's the opposite...female nudity has been normalized in movies, on TV...whereas male nudity is still a taboo.

Skwim

Veteran Member
You should say Americans have become uptight about nudity. Most of the rest of the world isn't so "ashamed" of a naked body as Americans are.
In as much as both videos only concerned themselves with swimming naked in the USA, and that I live in the country, it should be apparent that my remark was limited to Americans. That you seem to have picked up on this I find it odd that you think others won't.