• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Naked or Not

Which would you choose?

• $00.00 - $1,000

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • $1,000 - $10,000

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • $10,00 - $50,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $50,000 - $100,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $100,000 - $500,000

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I'm rich enough that I don't need half a million dollars.

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It is about morality. Are there situations when is it OK to be immoral?
No. But morality isn't so clear-cut as religionists would have it, either.
People whose religious beliefs teach that there is a higher authority may believe certain things are immoral. Since most people today do not believe in God or any other higher authority they do not have any understanding of morality.
Quite the opposite.
People without a divine checklist of dos and don'ts have to develop a practical, usually consequence-based, internalized morality -- far stronger and more functional than the external crutch of a rule book only incidently related to actual needs or consequences.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I asked why it is immoral. On what basis is nudity immoral?
The religious view is deontological as opposed to consequential. Compliance with tradition and divine law take precedence over actual effects of an action.
Perhaps it is those saying morality comes from God that are the ones who fail to understand morality?
No "perhaps" about it, I would say.;)
Well I certainly hope I don't see you running naked in the street.
You have the option of averting your eyes.

I see lots of unaesthetic things in the world. I don't try to outlaw them.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
The religious view is deontological as opposed to consequential. Compliance with tradition and divine law take precedence over actual effects of an action.

I always find that view terrifying. The idea that the only reason one doesn't do atrocities is because some inscrutable supernatural being tells you not to just means you can be convinced to do those atrocities if you believe your deity says you should.

No "perhaps" about it, I would say.;)

At the very least, they have a MUCH different view of morality than I do.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
consequence is not the only basis for morality. Deontological/Rule-based includes, for example, Kant's categorical imperative. There are also schools of thought rooted in ideas of the virtues. There are lots of variations on the various schools of thought.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
oh!....communal events....

no paycheck though.....right?
LOL! You seem to have a skewed opinion of us counterculture types.

+$50.00/h. Flexible, 8, 10 or 12h shifts, my choice. Night, day, evening -- my choice . Minimum, 5 day/month contract, open maximum --my choice.

A "contributing member of society." :D

I would want to get paid for appearing in the movie, but you wouldn't have to pay me extra for the nudity. I don'[t know why people have such an issue with it.