• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Naftali Bennett set to become Israeli Prime Minister

ronki23

I am confused here: they say that Nethanyahu's Likud Party is right wing (created by a terrorist called Menachim Begin who was responsible for the King David Hotel Bombing) yet Naftali Bennett's party is supposed to be far-right.

Why would left wing parties be helping Bennett secure power ?

epronovost

From what I read, it's an alliance of convenience and the deal would make him Prime Minister only for a period of time to Yair Lapid, a centrist politician. The idea is to oust Netanyahu pretty much at all cost so that he can face justice for his corruption and is "tendency", to put it mildly, to stir up trouble in Gaza or occupied Palestine, to avoid facing the consequences of his actions and other internal problems like the rising cost of living in Israel, the privilege of small fundamentalist Jews and other things like that.

ronki23

From all I've gathered, the long and the short of it seems to be, "because they want Netanyahu to finally go to jail"

From what I read, it's an alliance of convenience and the deal would make him Prime Minister only for a period of time to Yair Lapid, a centrist politician. The idea is to oust Netanyahu pretty much at all cost so that he can face justice for his corruption and is "tendency", to put it mildly, to stir up trouble in Gaza or occupied Palestine, to avoid facing the consequences of his actions and other internal problems like the rising cost of living in Israel, the privilege of small fundamentalist Jews and other things like that.

Is it not a good thing that under Netanyahu there is peace between Israel, Bahrain and the UAE ?

I see in this new alliance Naftali Bennett wants a one state solution whereas Yair Lapid wants a two state solution. Lapid is centrist (I wrongly said he was a leftist)

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Is it not a good thing that under Netanyahu there is peace between Israel, Bahrain and the UAE ?
He's a prime minister, not a god king. Removing him will not likely stop bureaucrats from implementing policies the Knesset has agreed upon already, unless there is a majority that wants to overturn them.

Presumably, others would be able to continue a policy of peace with the authoritarian regimes of the Gulf without rampant, criminal corruption.

ronki23

He's a prime minister, not a god king. Removing him will not likely stop bureaucrats from implementing policies the Knesset has agreed upon already, unless there is a majority that wants to overturn them.

Presumably, others would be able to continue a policy of peace with the authoritarian regimes of the Gulf without rampant, criminal corruption.

I'm just thinking out loud here but there are four Muslim majority countries who don't hate Israel / don't restrict entry:

Egypt
Jordan
UAE
Bahrain

Honestly the only important Muslim countries who still don't recognise Israel are Qatar and Saudi Arabia. Maybe Oman at best.

Who actually cares about Syria and Yemen ?

Sure there are souks and bazaars in Tunisia and Morocco but you can get them in other countries too. I personally don't even like Turkey so no big deal.

Guinea, Somalia, Senegal- give me a break

epronovost

Yes and no. It's poised for war against Iran and none of those country were at war in the first place, though any effort of normalisation is welcome.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Who actually cares about Syria and Yemen ?
Apparently, the Saudis do, or they wouldn't be pouring soldiers and modern weapon systems worth many millions of dollars in there.

I suppose the US also must care somewhat about Yemen, or they wouldn't fly drone strikes there on a daily basis.