• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NAACP issues travel advisory for Florida...

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
And notably unhealthy, according to the Mayo Clinic. That’s because Southern cooking tends to be high in saturated fats, salts and loaded with added sugar — all risk factors for hypertension. And these excesses are major risk factors for heart disease, stroke, vision problems and kidney disease, says Dr. Ivan Porter.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
And notably unhealthy, according to the Mayo Clinic. That’s because Southern cooking tends to be high in saturated fats, salts and loaded with added sugar — all risk factors for hypertension. And these excesses are major risk factors for heart disease, stroke, vision problems and kidney disease, says Dr. Ivan Porter.
OK in moderation.
Same thing with poutine.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
That just means I'll die happy.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
After 9/11, everyone was flying the flag; it was plastered everywhere. This was also when the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were ramping up, so republicans somehow managed to conflate patriotic sentiments with pro-war sentiments. Nowadays almost any overt, gaudy display of patriotic imagery will be companied by MAGA ****, confederate flags, "thin blue line" punisher decals, etc.
Oh the infamous MAGA punisher decals I’ve seen online.
Was…interesting to see Marvel write about that in the comics.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Speaking of woke.. Do you remember the Fat Albert cartoon?
Do you think that would be accepted today?

I barely remember it, although it seemed somewhat progressive for its time.

Fat Albert's mom must have been a good cook.

1684802968355.png

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I wonder about that -- there was a time when Islam was the protector of much of the ancient wisdom and then-modern science in the world. Now, not so much. There are more books translated into Spanish every week than there are into Arabic in a year. And women reading terrifies them. And don't even ask about their tolerance for LGBTQ+ issues! And that is in large measure a function of a religion.

It seems to me that many of the problems facing the Muslim world have more to do with current conditions (e.g., the economy, education, infrastructure, and political stability) than with religion per se. Generally, religions take the shape of the regions in which they exist, and Islam was able to take the shape of relatively prosperous and pro-scientific countries in the Islamic Golden Age. Likewise, Christianity has been able to take the shape of both less prosperous and very progressive countries. Humans shape religious interpretations and implementations after their own circumstances.

Also, a lot of Muslims have no problem with women's reading, nor is that forbidden or shunned in the vast majority of mainstream Islamic sects. On a more personal level, almost the entirety of the last two generations within my extended family (who are Muslims), whether male or female, are college graduates, and my family is not an anomaly among the middle class where I live.

Some, albeit a smaller number, have no issues with LGBT rights either—although views on LGBT people are indeed a major issue in need of reform among the mainstream sects of Islam. Still, this holds true for a lot of Christian denominations too, as you well know, not just Islamic sects. I don't see it as a problem exclusive to any religion.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Oh the infamous MAGA punisher decals I’ve seen online.
Was…interesting to see Marvel write about that in the comics.
Didn't surprise me. Marvel is smart. American cops are dumb. And cops just shouldn't be glorifying a merciless and violent vigilante.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Didn't surprise me. Marvel is smart. American cops are dumb. And cops just shouldn't be glorifying a merciless and violent vigilante.
Yeah. Not to mention Marvel’s or I guess now Disney’s PR machine prompting extra scrutiny.
Not saying that the original Punisher author’s would approve of cops celebrating the Punisher, obviously.
I’ll admit not being overly familiar with the history of the character but even I know the infamous calls for them to “be better than he is.”

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Yeah. Not to mention Marvel’s or I guess now Disney’s PR machine prompting extra scrutiny.
Not saying that the original Punisher author’s would approve of cops celebrating the Punisher, obviously.
I’ll admit not being overly familiar with the history of the character but even I know the infamous calls for them to “be better than he is.”
I don't know much about him either, but I know enough to know he may not really be a suitable role model for anyone, and that's the point. He's damaged goods and making others more broken than him. It's good story to see such stories where evil is thoroughly punished, but in the real world it has entirely necessary to make laws to prevent law enforcement from doing what he does.
Captain America is a far better role model for them and his shield definitely better than Punisher's skull. Steve even has a legit mid-20 century America thing going on.