• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Myths about the mind/brain

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Greetings fellow earthlings!

Hope you are enjoying whatever you may be doing at the forum.

Here's an article at one of my favorite sites - called "Very well mind".

Myth 1: We Use 10% of our Brains

You've probably heard this oft-cited bit of information several times, but constant repetition does not make it any more accurate. People often use this popular urban legend to imply that the mind is capable of much greater things, such as dramatically increased intelligence, psychic abilities, or even telekinesis.

Research suggests that all areas of the brain perform some type of function. If the 10-percent myth were true, brain damage would be far less likely—after all, we would only have to worry about that tiny 10% of our brains being injured.

The fact is that damage to even a small area of the brain can result in profound consequences for both cognition and functioning. Brain imaging technologies have also demonstrated that the entire brain shows levels of activity, even during sleep.

To read the other myths - click below -

7 Myths About the Brain Debunked

Some of you will love myth number 6 :)

Makes an interesting google search too ...

Enjoy your day!

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
The estimate of 100 billion neurons has been repeated so often and so long that no one is completely sure where it originated. In 2009, however, one researcher decided to count neurons in adult brains and found that the number was just a bit off the mark. Based on this research, it appears that the human brain contains closer to 85 billion neurons. So while the often-cited number is a few billion too high, 85 billion is still nothing to sneeze at.

I feel like complaining - who stole my missing 15 billion? Feels like a lot more. :mad:

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
The estimate of 100 billion neurons has been repeated so often and so long that no one is completely sure where it originated. In 2009, however, one researcher decided to count neurons in adult brains and found that the number was just a bit off the mark. Based on this research, it appears that the human brain contains closer to 85 billion neurons. So while the often-cited number is a few billion too high, 85 billion is still nothing to sneeze at.

I feel like complaining - who stole my missing 15 billion? Feels like a lot more. :mad:

Now. Now. Don't be greedy - if you can function with 85 billion you are very fortunate!

It is a wonder more doesn't go "wrong" and that anyone can think straight at all.

Cheers!