• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mysticism-Christian

ΩRôghênΩ

Disciple of Light
"God is infinitely near and infinitely far. We are fully aware of Him only if we experience both of these aspects."

Paul Tillich

I believe that mysticism is the greatest gift of the holy spirit, allowing us to directly experience eternal light in Yaweh...:162:

http://www.christianmystics.com/
http://www.kheper.net/topics/christianmysticism/ChristianMysticism.htm

The definition of mysticism is:
Main Entry: mys·ti·cism
Pronunciation: 'mis-t&-"si-z&m
Function: noun
1 : the experience of mystical union or direct communion with ultimate reality reported by mystics
2 : the belief that direct knowledge of God, spiritual truth, or ultimate reality can be attained through subjective experience (as intuition or insight)
3 a : vague speculation : a belief without sound basis b : a theory postulating the possibility of direct and intuitive acquisition of ineffable knowledge or power

now there are many mysticisms. many from different religions. mysticism is the direct experience of god, mainly achieved by extreme spirituality, in chanting, meditation, and concentration. Islam, for instance, has sufism. christianity has monasticism (which is broken into orthodox and catholic mysticisms).hindus also have chants. buddhists claim to have glimpses of Nirvana. Wiccans recite rituals and have said to see the netherworld. mainly, i believe that mysticism is the greatest spiritual experience, no matter what walk of life you come from.

Christian mysticism is generally seen whithin monasticism. the christian monks live a simple and reflective, yet innerdly powerful life in christ. in this simplicity they are alowed more devotion and concentration to God, without distractions from the world.

mysticism is believed mainly by christian mystics to be the full influence of the holy spirit, and the direct experirence of God. this can be achieved by meditation, chanting, and simplistic life style. The direct experience of God is called Divine Ecstacy.

Divine ecstacy can only be described in feelings, or in examples or relations to other things, because the direct experience of God, and god himself, are above human understanding, and therefore cannot be explained, only felt.
it's like a fish being watched by the human. the fish is so uninteligent, it is not evenh aware of the humans existance.

Disdain for material things

Some have Me in their mouths, but little in their hearts.
There are others who, being enlightened in their understanding and purified in their affection, always breathe after things eternal, are unwilling to hear of earthly things, and grieve to be subject to the necessities of nature; and such as these perceive what the Spirit of Truth speaketh in them.
For it teacheth them to despise the things of the earth and to love heavenly things; to disregard the world, and all the day and night to aspire after heaven.

Thomas a Kempis
Of the Imitation of Christ Bk. 3 Ch. 4 v. 4

Distrust of Intellect

Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

St. Paul
Colossians 2:8

If thou reliest more upon thine own reason or industry than upon the virtue that subjects to Jesus Christ, thou wilt seldom and hardly become an enlightened man; for God wishes us to be perfectly subject to Himself, and to transcend all reason by inflamed love.

Thomas a Kempis
Of the Imitation of Christ Bk. 1 Ch. 4 v. 13

Yearning for Divine Edification

Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought: But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory: Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
St. Paul
1 Corinthians 2: 6-14

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
</SPAN>Dear &#937;Rôghên&#937;,
Strange to see that since 2005, nobody has given you their thoughts on this wonderful subject! Perhaps it is because, like me, they share your views on what mysticism is?

Still, there are a couple of things in the quotes you list, which - though perfectly in harmony with what is usually said in such contexts - I personally, have come to feel differently about:

&#937;Rôghên&#937;;305234 said:
Disdain for material things

Some have Me in their mouths, but little in their hearts.
There are others who, being enlightened in their understanding and purified in their affection, always breathe after things eternal, are unwilling to hear of earthly things, and grieve to be subject to the necessities of nature; and such as these perceive what the Spirit of Truth speaketh in them.
For it teacheth them to despise the things of the earth and to love heavenly things; to disregard the world, and all the day and night to aspire after heaven.

Thomas a Kempis
Of the Imitation of Christ Bk. 3 Ch. 4 v. 4

Though it is true that worldliness be a distraction in contemplative life, mystical experiences can, through the deeper sense of humility they grant, rid us from despising it altogether.

I find that there are times in life when much goes on and contemplation is difficult, if not impossible. But, feeling certain that these phases come and go and that other, more peaceful ones, do follow; I have learnt that it is okay (perhaps even right) to attend to worldly things when one is called to do so. Later, when one is not and retreat and contemplation once more seem possible, one's sense of mystical union can be reachieved.

&#937;Rôghên&#937;;305234 said:
Distrust of Intellect

Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

St. Paul
Colossians 2:8

If thou reliest more upon thine own reason or industry than upon the virtue that subjects to Jesus Christ, thou wilt seldom and hardly become an enlightened man; for God wishes us to be perfectly subject to Himself, and to transcend all reason by inflamed love.

Thomas a Kempis
Of the Imitation of Christ Bk. 1 Ch. 4 v. 13

Insights received during mystical union, feel unquestionably true and so, to trust them and live by them personally, I agree, requires no reasoning or logical evidence whatsoever.

Yet, because Physics in my case, lead me to my first mystical encounter, it is hard for me not to see Science and Religion as closely related. In my view, the two often support one another so that reason and logic for instance, rather confirm mystical understandings and are useful when wanting to share such with loved ones.

Best regards and wishes,
Hermit