• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mystical Psychosis

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Mystical psychosis - Wikipedia.

A little background on some distinctions and similarities of the Mystical Experience, and what has been coined as Mystical Psychosis.

Many features of first time Mystical Experience/Psychosis reflect many symptoms of Panic attacks.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I do think there is a neurological basis for mystical experiences/psychosis (but then, there is for everything we experience, right?)

It's interesting because one of things that drove me to mytical aspects of religion are experiences I've had throughout my life where it feels suddenly as if I've been looking at my life from a distant point, but am suddenly and tangibly aware of myself as an actual living thing and not an actor on a stage. That is a poor way to describe it; it is frightening and euphoric all at once. And, to top it off, I do get panic attacks, though not as bad as I used to.

According to this, that would be a mystical psychosis, yes?

Of course, I use ritual in order to trigger a mystical experience, where I feel greater connection with my environment and lose myself in it. It feels different, but leads to the same outcome.

I've read studies where neurologists have located the part of the brain that becomes activated during the mystical experience and it appears to be related to something like a glitch in the part of the brain that defines ourselves from the surrounding environment.