• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mystical Hadiths

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane
“Amir al-Mu’minin, Imam Ali ibn abu Talib, recipient of divine
supreme covenant, has said, ‘Hypocrisy has four pillars: Desire,
Neglect, Resentment and Greed.
“Desire is of four branches: disproportionate behavior,
transgression, lust and insubordination. Whoever behaves
disproportionately faces great risks, remains lonely and without
supporters. Whoever transgresses does not remain immune to
harmful consequences, his heart is not in peace and he does not
control his soul against lustful matters. Whoever has not
balanced his soul in lustful matters he indulges in filthy
activities. Whoever acts insubordinately purposely and without
evidence strays in falsehood.
“Neglect is of four branches: dishonesty, yearning, fear and
procrastination. Fear and apprehension turns one away from the
truth and procrastination leads to extremely reduced activities
until the deadline approaches. If one does not have any
yearnings he knows his true condition and measures. If he
knows the true measure of his condition in which he is, he would
die suddenly due to fear and apprehension. Dishonesty cuts short
one’s deeds.
“Resentment is of four branches: arrogance, boastfulness,
egoistic, and racism. Whoever is arrogant turns his back to the
truth. Whoever is boastful indulges in sins. Whoever is egoistic
persists in sins. Whoever comes in the clench of racism commits
injustice.
“Thus, evil is the affair that swings in deterioration, indecency,
persistence and injustice on the path.
“Greed is of four branches: exhilaration, pleasure seeking,
worrying and superfluity. Exhilaration is detestable before
Allah. Pleasure seeking is feeblemindedness. Worrisome is a
misfortune for one who is forced to carry sins. Seeking
superfluity is useless, a childish manner, a vastful preoccupation
and an effort to change what is of a lower quality to a better one.
“This is how hypocrisy its pillars and branches are. Allah is
dominant over his servants. Speaking of Him is exalted and
glory is His. He has created all things in good fashion, His hands
are free, His favor is universal, His command is manifest, His
light shines, His blessing overflows, His wisdom is the source of
light, His book is overriding, His evidence is overwhelming, His
religion is pure, His kingdom is powerful, His word is the truth,
His measures are just and His messengers have already
preached. Thus, He has made evil a sin, sin a misfortune and
misfortune a filth.
“He has made virtuous deeds a threshold. The threshold is
repentance and repentance is purification. One who repents finds
guidance. One who plots goes astray, as long as he does not
repent before Allah and confess to his sins. No one dares to act,
to his own destruction, against Allah, except those who are
doomed.
“Allah! Allah! How vast is what He has for repentance, favors,
joy and great forbearance. How severe is what is before Him of
retribution, hell, and a hard grip! Whoever succeeds in
obedience to Him attracts His generosity. Whoever indulges in
disobedience to Him he will test the results of His disapproval
and very shortly he will become regretful.’”

VoidoftheSun

Necessary Heretical, Fundamentally Orthodox
Here is Hadith al-Haqiqa (Hadith of the Ultimate Reality), a very mystical conversation between Kumayl ibn Ziyad and Imam Ali Ibn Abi Talib (pbuh):

Kumayl ibn Ziyad asked `O my Lord and my Master [= the Commander of the Faithful, Amir al-Mumunin = Imam `Alī, d. 40/661)... What is al-Ḥaqīqa? (The Real / Reality' / `Ultimate Reality [God]').

He [`Alī] replied, upon him be peace, `What have you to do with al-Ḥaqīqa (Reality)?'.

So Kumayl replied, `Is it not that I am a [sharing] companion [custodian] of your secret (sahib sirrika)?'

He [Imam `Alī] replied, `Yes! But what [gnosis merely] sprinkles down upon you, billows over through me'. He, the Imam, upon him be peace, [then] said, al-Ḥaqīqa [ Reality is] `The disclosure of the splendors of the Majestic One [God] (subuḥāt al-jalāl) devoid of intimation [of His Ultimate Reality] (min ghayr al-ishāra)'.

He [Kumayl] said, `Expound it to me further'.

He [`Alī] said, `It [al-Ḥaqīqa `Reality' ] is the annulment of speculation (mahw al-mawhum) [consonant] with an awareness of [what is] the established' (saḥw al-ma`lūm)'.

He [Kumayl] said, `Expound it to me further.'

He [`Alī] said, `It [al-Ḥaqīqa `Reality'] is the rending of the [Divine] veil (al-sitr) through the mastery of the secret (ghalabat al-sirr)'.

He [`Alī] said, `It [al-Ḥaqīqa `Reality'] is the Enticement (jadhb) of the Divine Unicity (al-aḥadiyya) through the instrumentality of the Divine Oneness (al-tawhid)'.

He [Kumayl] said, `Expound it to me further.' He [`Alī] said, `It [al-Ḥaqīqa `Reality'] is `A Light (nur) radiating from the Dawn of Eternity (subh al-azal) with its traces (athar) beaming forth [shimmering] upon the Embodiments [Temples] of the Divine Unity (hayākil al-tawhid)'.

He [`Alī] said, `Quench the lamp (al-sirāj)! for the Dawn (al-subḥ) hath indeed arisen'...

(another translation can actually be found on wiki too: Kumayl ibn Ziyad - Wikipedia )

This Hadith encapsulates an entire ontology in it, it really contains all the mysteries of Islam, par excellence!
It's one of those Hadiths to spend a lot of time meditating on in Dhikr.

Last edited:

VoidoftheSun

Al-Husayn ibn Ahmad ibn Idris (RA) said on the authority of his father, on the authority of Muhammad ibn `Abd al-Jabbar, on the authority of Safwan ibn Yahya, on the authority of `Asim ibn Humayd that I consulted Imam Ja'far al-Sadiq (AS) regarding what is narrated about the vision of Allah. Hence, he (AS) explained:
The sun is a seventieth portion of the light of the Throne [al-kursi]. The throne is a seventieth portion of the light of al-Arsh. al-Arsh is a seventieth portion of the light of the Veil [hijab]. And the Veil is a seventieth portion of the Veil of Light [sitr]. Hence, if they speak the truth, can their eyes bear the sight of the sun on a cloudless day?
- Kitab al-Tawhid (compiled Shaykh al-Saduq), chapter 8, Hadith 3​

VoidoftheSun

Here's another:

Imam Ali Ibn Abi Talib said:
"God is a drink for His close friends.
When they drink of it, they are intoxicated.
When they are intoxicated, they are enraptured.
When they are enraptured, they are happy.
When they are happy, they are overcome with grief.
When they are grieved, they become sincere.
When they are sincere, they seek him.
When they find him, they reach him.
And when they reach him, they connect with him so that there is no distance between them and their Beloved."

I can't remember the Hadith collection (I'd have to do a little digging to find it but I know where I got it)

VoidoftheSun

Al Hassan Bin Muhammad Bin Saeed Al Hashimy Al Kufy narrated to us, from Furat Bin Ibrahim Al Kufy, from Al Hassan Bin Ali Bin Al Husayn Bin Muhammad, from Ibrahim Ibn Al Fazal Bin Ja’far Bin Ali Bin Ibrahim Bin suleyman Bin Abdullah Bin Al Abbas, from Al Hassan Bin Ali Bin Za’frany Al Basry, from Sahl Bin Yasaar, from Abu Ja’far Muhammad Bin Ali Al Taify, from Muhammad Bin Abdullah, a slave of the Clan of Hashim (as), from Muhammad Ibn Is’haq, from Al Waqidy, from Al Hazeyl, from Makhoul, from Tawoos, from Ibn Abbas who said,
‘Rasool-Allah (saww) said to Ali (a.s.) Bin Abu Talib (a.s.): ‘When God (azwj), Elevated is His (azwj) Mention, Created Adam (as), and Blew into him (as) from His (azwj) Spirit, and the Angels Prostrated to him (as), and Settled him (as) in His (azwj) Paradise, and Married His (azwj) Maid Hawwa (Eve) (as) to him (as), he (as) was near to the Throne and there were five Inscribed lines of writing.
Adam (as) said: ‘O Lord (azwj)! What are these?’
The Most High Said: “They are the ones, when My (azwj) creatures seek intercession by them (a.s.), I (azwj) shall Intercede”.
So Adam (as) said: ‘O Lord (azwj)! By their (a.s.) value in Your (azwj) Presence, what are their (a.s.) names?’

God (azwj) Said: “As for the first, so I (azwj) am the Praised One (Al-Mahmoud) and he (saww) is Muhammad (saww); and the second – so I (azwj) am the High and this is Ali (a.s.); and as for the third, so I (azwj) am the Originator (Faatir), and this is Fatima (a.s.); and the fourth, so I (azwj) am the Bountiful (Al-Mohsin) and this is Al-Hassan (a.s.); and the fifth, so I (azwj) am with the Favours (Zul-hsaan) and this is Al-Husayn (a.s.). All of them (a.s.) are Glorifying God (azwj) the Most High”.
- Ilal al-Sharā'i, CH103, H2