• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mysterious Stranger

Heneni

Miss Independent
Well the real you dwells in your body, if your body dies you dont die.

God cant murder anybody, because to him everybody is alive.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
YouTube - The Mysterious Stranger - The Adventures of Mark Twain
So Satan is a murderer? Didn't God behave in a similar manner in the Bible, but what makes God morally different than Satan anyway?

At time it sure does seem like God behave in that same manner(though I sure soon we'll have Christian in here saying other wise.....and at lest 2 of them that will only post passages from the Bible and nothing else ^_^)

And I must say that I like how they depicted Satan in the video, with the play mask as his face that changes depending on the mood, and with at the rest of the head.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
People should watch the ENTIRE movie. fascinating claymation.

regarding the purpose of the thread.. I'll quote the Vampire chronicles:

God kills indiscriminately and so shall we. For no creatures under God are as we are, none so like him as ourselves.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
but what makes God morally different than Satan anyway?
God has committed mass genocide several times, yet Satan only requires one hand and two fingers to count the people he has killed, and those people God gave him the OK to kill.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
So Satan is a murderer? Didn't God behave in a similar manner in the Bible, but what makes God morally different than Satan anyway?
Satan is us making forms, the children constructing play things, the emotionally childish manner of mortal demise. By analogy, it is civilization, music, possiveness, greed, friendship, romance, grief, and wonderment at the world so quickly created and so swifly ripped away (apparently by circumstance). These and others are social forms by which we, as humans, have structured our world. In a slightly broader sense, it is also our conscious existence that creates the forms of the world-as-we-know-it that envelopes us every waking moment. With our knowledge of the world around us our as building blocks, we each structure the world in a unqiue way, no two people seeing the world quite the same way from moment to moment. In the broader analogy, Satan represents the murder of the uniform void by fracturing it into knowable "things", and vice-versa the uniform void is the destruction of Satan (at the end of the clip) and all knowable things.

"God" is many things to many people, but to many he represents some form of a compromise between the void and the world-as-we-know-it. To some "God" appears as the maniuplation, or the thing that allows the structuring (fracturing of the world into "things") to occur in the first place. (First place = prime mover)

Last edited:

lamplighter

Almighty Tallest
Well the real you dwells in your body, if your body dies you dont die.

God cant murder anybody, because to him everybody is alive.
So is the destruction of the physical body by anyone else constitute as murder still?

Satan is us making forms, the children constructing play things, the emotionally childish manner of mortal demise. By analogy, it is civilization, music, possiveness, greed, friendship, romance, grief, and wonderment at the world so quickly created and so swifly ripped away (apparently by circumstance). These and others are social forms by which we, as humans, have structured our world. In a slightly broader sense, it is also our conscious existence that creates the forms of the world-as-we-know-it that envelopes us every waking moment. With our knowledge of the world around us our as building blocks, we each structure the world in a unqiue way, no two people seeing the world quite the same way from moment to moment. In the broader analogy, Satan represents the murder of the uniform void by fracturing it into knowable "things", and vice-versa the uniform void is the destruction of Satan (at the end of the clip) and all knowable things.

"God" is many things to many people, but to many he represents some form of a compromise between the void and the world-as-we-know-it. To some "God" appears as the maniuplation, or the thing that allows the structuring (fracturing of the world into "things") to occur in the first place. (First place = prime mover)
So God is the balance and/or the original creator and somehow infallible then? IMO that seems like taking the stance of "it's my child I'll beat it all I want", and Satan seems to represent humanity here, knowledge and emotion, which I have trouble seeing as bad.

Troublemane

It sure does seem from the way Satan is depicted in the film that he is just the Old Testament IHVH, doing what he does best: making things then destroying them for no good reason than it amuses him. Course its all a myth, but that hasnt stopped people from killing in the name of that myth. :angel2:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
So God is the balance and/or the original creator and somehow infallible then?
If you're asking if that's something that follows from the interpretation of the Mark Twain clip that I gave, I don't know. On the other hand, I do think that something that is the source of both fallibility and infallibility cannot be held up as fallible or infallible unless it is held up as both.

IMO that seems like taking the stance of "it's my child I'll beat it all I want", and Satan seems to represent humanity here, knowledge and emotion, which I have trouble seeing as bad.
I don't follow, but I will say that yes, Satan as portrayed here could represent humanity at its best (creating) and worst (destroying), and of course everything in between. Satanist types hold Satan as humanity, as knowledge and emotion, to be exhalted.

tann3100

I would like to reply to this. The Bible tells us that the only place for darkness to dwell is within flesh itself. Now in genesis we learn about creation etc. Well when it speaks of Adam and Eve in the garden of eden with the serpent. Well before they ate of the apple they were lead by god and nothing else he told them exactly what to do, and they listened no thought. Now after the serpent talked eve into eating of the apple and then gave it to adam he doing the same this is where we actually got thought process at. Now therefore Adam was guided by the spirit but after he ate it his spirit and his flesh were not one no more for he came to know good and evil. So the serpent is actually representive of human/worldy perception everything we know is taught from time we are little to we grow old. You see for us here are earth god gave satan dominion but the only thing satan has dominion over is our flesh he has no control of the spirit. The way satan controls the spirit is by leading us to live life by perception therefore our own perception blinds us from growing with god. But.....those that are not able to walk without sin can confess the son of god christ as the savior and he bares there sin. But there will be one who rises up from the tribe of juda that will walk with the spirit of god annointed on him and this time he wont be cruxified.

God bless you all

Last edited:

Muffled

Jesus in me

God destroys what is evil. Satan destroys what is good. Since Satan is the author of evil even the destruction by God can be blamed on Satan.

I would question whether Satan can create. As an archangel he would have powers second only to God but the extent of those powers is not described in the Bible.

lamplighter

Almighty Tallest
I don't follow, but I will say that yes, Satan as portrayed here could represent humanity at its best (creating) and worst (destroying), and of course everything in between. Satanist types hold Satan as humanity, as knowledge and emotion, to be exhalted.
I was looking for more of a character study of the two, I meant that even though God is the creator, it doesn't make it acceptable for him to destroy on whim what he creates. I like your interpretation of the sketch, but I think the Novella The Mysterious Stranger based on the The Chronicle of Young Satan and No.44 by Mark Twain was more of a social commentary on organized religion since Satan in the Novella is the Nephew of Satan (carrying on the family name). You can read it here if you want.

Is it Jesus who u mean by Mysterious stranger?
No, the mysterious stranger is the nephew of Satan, also named Satan. The claymation sketch of The Mysterious Stranger is based on three incomplete works written by Mark Twain called No.44 The Mysterious Stranger, Schoolhouse Hill, and The Chronicle of Young Satan.

I would like to reply to this. The Bible tells us that the only place for darkness to dwell is within flesh itself. Now in genesis we learn about creation etc. Well when it speaks of Adam and Eve in the garden of eden with the serpent. Well before they ate of the apple they were lead by god and nothing else he told them exactly what to do, and they listened no thought. Now after the serpent talked eve into eating of the apple and then gave it to adam he doing the same this is where we actually got thought process at. Now therefore Adam was guided by the spirit but after he ate it his spirit and his flesh were not one no more for he came to know good and evil. So the serpent is actually representive of human/worldy perception everything we know is taught from time we are little to we grow old. You see for us here are earth god gave satan dominion but the only thing satan has dominion over is our flesh he has no control of the spirit. The way satan controls the spirit is by leading us to live life by perception therefore our own perception blinds us from growing with god. But.....those that are not able to walk without sin can confess the son of god christ as the savior and he bares there sin. But there will be one who rises up from the tribe of juda that will walk with the spirit of god annointed on him and this time he wont be cruxified.

God bless you all
Alright, but we're talking about the destruction of the physical form, in the sketch Satan along with the children create plants, a castle, and people, and that somehow Satan destroying what he co-created when he saw the pettiness of humanity acted out through the clay people, was somehow evil. Now in the OT, God doesn't have help from kids creating people, but he does destroy what he creates frequently, but few seem to see this as bad.

God destroys what is evil. Satan destroys what is good. Since Satan is the author of evil even the destruction by God can be blamed on Satan.

I would question whether Satan can create. As an archangel he would have powers second only to God but the extent of those powers is not described in the Bible.
Care to explain how God flooding the world or the destruction of Sodom was somehow Satan's fault?