• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mysterious Rasatala Realm and the Underworlds

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Namaste

I am slowly developing a website that will become "The Wonders of India Website". Different subject matters of wonder and adventure are the theme. One subject matter I am just working on now is the Underworlds, and perhaps some members have some insights of this matter.

It is said at the end of the previous age before Kali Yug, a demon stole all the Vedas and took them down to the place called Rasatala. However Hayagriva went to Rasatala, and finding the Vedas which He then took them to Lord Brahma. We know Rasatala exists “under us”, because in the Ramayana we find that Ravana descended to Rasatala and subjected Vasuki who is a Deva of Water, and there met Nagas as well. However, the 14 Lokas are described as including Rasatala and which rests above the lowest Loka and below Earth, but it is not the lowest realm.

Or is that the order of the Underworld? Versions vary.

There are 7 Heavens (Lokas) above, and 7 Underworlds (Lokas) below. Oddly, the order of the 7 Underworlds and their names vary from scripture to scripture. Others say the order doesn’t matter as much as one can enter a specific Underworld without ever having to cross through the other, that “under” is relative.

This is the same Rasatala where the Rakshasa nomadics fled after being chased away by Vishnu. And it is said the remaining Rakshasa foot soldiers of Ravana fled to refuge in Rasatala after the demise or Ravana and so that is why we do not see Rakshasas today, they made an exodus back to Rasatala.

In the Ramayana, there is a scene where Ram shows His ability with the bow and arrow to Sugriva by shooting an arrow down into Rasatala and then the arrow returned by itself to Ram. It is said, where the arrow of Ram breaks the Earth, that spot and all that is touched by it is blessed.

So where is this Rasatala? We believe it is associated with water due to the encounter of Ravana with Vasuki. But that is an assumption. We know it is “down” in direction. But that is an assumption, and “down” is relative to where you are standing. We know the Rakshasa peons are today refugees in Rasatala (if they are still alive and had offspring) because the Uttara Khanda of the Ramayana states this is so - or does it? There are many Ramayanas, so may account for things, others make no mention, and we wonder, where are the Rakshasas today?

So one would think perhaps Rasatala is a horrible hell. Hell is often thought of as being “down” there.

However, is it horrible? Perhaps not. The reason is, we also know that before Rama came, before Ravana and the Rakshasas in Lanka, the Lord Vamana (the dwarf) defeated Lord Bali when Bali consented to give the guest Vamana whatever land that could be stride in three paces. It was these Three Steps that were to be the defeat of Bali, for upon the third step with Bali bowed in obeisance to Vamana, Vamana having no footstep to place His third step after already stepping on the Earth and then the Sky, Bali offered his head upon which Vamana stepped on Bali’s head and pushed him down to the Underworld.

And so the Lord Vamana was so pleased with Bali’s devotion that He gave him the boon to reside there as the King of the Underworld and given the title Maha (great) Bali (Mahavali), and ordered Visvakarma to build a majestic heavenly city for Bali, a city which was to match the heavenly city of Indra who was Vamana’s older brother.

This is the same Visvakarma who built the majestic golden city of Lanka that was ruled initially by Kubera and then later by Kubera’s step-brother Ravana.

Accounts are made that Bali is allowed to visit Earth once a year and then returns, this implies that the Underworld is now his Home. However, Bali is also accounted to reappear again with a new name in various adventures to come, to be able to rule the World again, and so on. In one account, Bali is given a birth as the grandson of Prahlada, who was the famed devotee child of the asura Hiranyakashipu (of golden hair) who was defeated by Narasingha or Man-Lion incarnation. Previously, accounts say Hiranyakashipu was a Gatekeeper to Vishnu’s heaven who fell to Earth as a result of, among other things, a curse. Bali himself is said to also now be given the title as the Gatekeeper to the Underworld.

Some account that the Underworld was Patala (below Rasatala), yet others account it was Rasatala. However, Patala is also used to describe all 7 Lokas or seven lower regions of the 14 Lokas. The very lowest of them is the land of the Nagas.

The Sage Narada described Patala as full of gems, gold and intriguing maiden beings (which can be dangerous). Certainly the gems and gold would be of interest to the Rakshasas, since that is why they also had interest in Lanka where many sapphires are found.

So actually, perhaps Rasatala isn’t such a bad place to live after all.

Now Sita Devi also was taken into the Earth after the foolish citizens of Ram Raj did not believe her chastity after being held captive by Ravana. Humans never stop their rumors and back-biting and gossip. Such is our ways. In some accounts of Ramayana, as She entered the Earth then She went also into Rasatala i.e. a lower underworld.

So now think about this. If indeed the Rakshasas fled to Rasatala, and later Sita Devi also went to Rasatala, then wouldn’t She encounter the Rakshasas?

Unless of course the Rakshasas are no longer there. You see, there are many, many mysteries to the Underworld. I suspect the Rakshasas are indeed there. And if Sita went there, there is a consideration. And that would be, though the Rakshasas were demonic and abused Sita while She was held captive, they didn’t kill her. In fact, in one way they were quite good prison guards as far as Rakshasas are concerned. And in fact, many Rakshasas came to consider Her their Queen of sorts, a “consort” of Ravana. Thus when Sita left the world, and while She entered into the embrace of Earth, perhaps She did go to the Underworld. Perhaps She encountered the Rakshasas there, and perhaps King Bali. And while the Underworld would certainly not be my choice of destinations, perhaps the Underworld isn’t so bad. And we can see, one can return from there. Many do, as said King Bali returns once a year.

I would not be surprised if Sita would be practically treated as a Queen by the Rakshasas who were refugees there. At least, that is a possibility? And when Bali returns once a year, does He ever bring something with him to Earth? Would He ever bring something that was held in the hand of Sita?

So, esteemed members of the forum, where do you think Rasatala is? What of the Underworld? Siddhars go there and come back.

As is my saying and the theme of the website I am working on, "There are wonders in India" (if you choose to look) and "Adventures await the brave".

Om Namah Sivaya

Last edited:

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
Rasatala may exist because a place described in Ramayana as Siddhashram still exist in Himalayas where thousands of immortal yogis and Rishis lives there but it cannot be seen by common people only great yogis can reach there.

Last edited:

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Namaste Sumit

More insight to explore and adventure, thank you! I am forever a "student of adventure" and a learner (who makes mistakes and steps in the wrong direction) and every clue to the "map" is very welcome!

Om Namah Sivaya

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
Namaste Sumit
More insight to explore and adventure, thank you!
Well Siddhashram is a place located somewhere between Kailash and Tibet. Many people claim that they went they went there by chance and when they tried again they could not find the place. However there are many such monasteries which cannot be seen by common people but none is like Siddhashram. It is said that the people like Adi Shankracharya and Goraknath still resides their in their subtle body. You can find about Siddhashram in books of Gopinath Kaviraj and Narayan Dutt Shrimali. They both were the sages of Siddhashram. Also Aruna Kumar Sharma who was a explorer of tantra and yoga describes about Siddhashram in his books. However he never went their because he do not fulfill the criteria but he writes about the sadhus of Himalayas who told him about Siddhashram. He also writes in His book that once chinese Gov captured a sage who came from one such ashram and when they medically examined him, he was 400 years old. They tortured him to tell them about place but he remained silent so they left him and followed him. Sadhu Instead of going to ashram came to Arunanchal Pradesh and that is why china attacked India and captured region of Kailash and still demands Arunanchal Pradesh. They were in search of same ashram. The yogi of siddhashram are immortal. They have many powers and hold the key of many lost sciences of ancient India. Through their powers they can enter on body of dead people and live their life[this was also done by shakracharya during during his lifetime], they can free them from gravity, can get anything out of space and do what common people can't even imagine.

I am forever a "student of adventure" and a learner (who makes mistakes and steps in the wrong direction)
Well you are just like me :D

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Namaste Prabhu ji

I do not know anything about Hindu Atala, perhaps you can add information? To me atala means you cannot span it for it is forever.

I do not know anything about Atlantis. I do believe what we think of as Sri Lanka or that region was much larger than today.

Om Namah Shivaya

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Namaste Prabhu ji

I do not know anything about Hindu Atala, perhaps you can add information? To me atala means you cannot span it for it is forever.

I do not know anything about Atlantis. I do believe what we think of as Sri Lanka or that region was much larger than today.

Om Namah Shivaya

Little known authentic pre-Platonic writings on Atlantis

Namaste ShivaFan,

I don't know what to make of that. It probably is a conspiracy theory.

pranam

In the eastern region of India, there is a district called "Deoghar" (lit.:abode to Gods), where one of the greatest Hindu-pilgrimage sites is located: the "Baba BaidyaNath Dham (temple)" which is also one of the 12 JyotirLingams, and a ShaktiPeeth at the same time.

Each year- with a distinct peak during the holy month of Shravan- roughly 10 million devotees (called "kAnvariyas"), bare-foot and clad in a typical saffron, carrying water from holy Ganga from various places, come to the Baba Baidyanath dham and make an offering to Lord Shiva.

The origins of the temple is ancient, and the Lingam is said to be established by none other than RavaNa, though this was not how he intended it!

There is much more that I will not be touching upon here; one of the important things for a visitor (can be during anytime in the Year) to remember is that this pilgrimage is considered incomplete unless one visits the VasukiNath temple, that is appprox. 40 kms away from BaidyaNath. The locals know this fully, though to the outsiders this is generally not known and they end up planning their visits with only the BaidyaNath temple in mind.

And that is the reason VasukiNath is less frequented compared to BaidyaNath, but at the same time is seen as the "twin" Lingam to that at the BaidyaNath. The documentation is even more scarce and one has to rely on the local lores. On the way to VasukiNath from the BaidyaNath, there is also a "trikut parvat" where there are still some Yogis doing intense tapasya.

"BaidyaNath" means "the Lord of Medicines" an epithet to Rudra, as we know it in the Veda. The temple is seen as the destination of Moksha. All Gods are said to reside in some form at this place.

Today the pilgrimage is over-crowded, and one can arguably say that the takeover of administration by the goverment might have resulted in smoother opertaion, there was a time when all the area was a thick jungle inhabited by the AdivAsis (tribals, still a majority presence there).

Yogis and Sadhakas used to come here and attained Moksha by contemplating on a very liberal liberty-giver Shiva.

But the question that comes to the mind of a curious visitor is: once Moksha is attained why still visit the other Lingam?

So the focus shifts to the VasukiNath temple (which actually falls in a different district). The "mythology" gets even more rich here. This Lingam, as told by the tribals, was established by Vasuki (the Lord of underworlds and Divine Serpents) himself. In the background to that we have DevAsuraSangrAm (War between Devas and Daivas/ Asuras), all the surrounding areas having some significance or the other in this regard.

Digging even further, the information that emerges is: there has been an ancient cremation-place nearby.

It may mean many Yogis also went to die there. "Death" will be perhaps the wrong understanding here. Having attained "Moksha" they came here to complete the "circle" of "Immortality".

The conclusion arrived at here in this last line is mine, that is how I saw it during my last visit (quite an experience!), and I hope this will be pertinent to the subject matter in this thread. I actually apologize in advance for not having done justice otherwise to the subject (temple).

Om Namah Shivaya
Bol Bam!

Last edited:

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Namaste Kalicharan Tuvij
Thank you, thank you, wonderful sharing of this!
Om Namah Sivaya

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Namaste,

Are the Talas not lower chakras, negative ones, in the body?

Namaste,

Are the Talas not lower chakras, negative ones, in the body?
That is the common perception. In this thread, however, we are exploring (using scant material/ connections) the "Dark Sun", so to say, and just as Surya (the "luminous Sun") has many dimensions and which truly lead us into the luminous planes, similarly, we are exploring here various possibilities of the Rasatala and the destination it leads one to.
If that was not enough there is this possibility that the way leads us directly to the "highest realms", normally associated with Moksha etc.

The full secret is, as it seems, right in front of us somewhere in Himduism.

KT

p.s.: Even Lord Hanuman may tell us something about it!