• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Wife said something pretty BIG to me tonight.... (All people here are welcome to read and reply)

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Update:

Thanks Shiranui for the suggestion.

Last Tuesday night I talked to a monk at an Orthodox monastery in the eastern mid-west for about an hour. Earlier in the week proceeding I made a formal request to come and stay at their guest house for the month of August, so we had some things to talk about.

He had some concerns about 'getting burned out' on what is a new tradition for me (Orthodox liturgy), which has long hours of worship as well as on the physical work on the farm, under the hot August sun, and on the diet, which varies between vegetarian and vegan, depending on if there are fasts (feasts) that will be celebrated during that month.

I assured him of my interest in jumping with both feet, into experiencing/learning more about the Orthodox Christian faith and how that relates to the current Church where I attended, which is the Anglican Church of Canada.

I shared my experiences with retreats and being devoted to the long hours of attention that these required.

He said that they would be doing a lot of work in the fields and they they would be starting to do the canning for the winter months. And since there are only 8 total monks and novices present, the extra hands would be very welcomed. And he assured me that working there for them would more than warrant a 'donation' to the monastery for the service they are providing me in allowing me to stay there and participate in their life.

I told him about my own life's experiences with plant work and that doing gardening was right up my alley and not to worry about that.

I did laugh a bit about summer in the eastern mid-west, but he assured me that there were plenty of water and shade breaks in the day, and again, I said about working outside and said that the humidity would be the hardest part of me, but thought I'd do just fine.

Lastly, he was concerned about the vegetarian/vegan diet, to which I lol'd a little and said that I thought that would be a concerned I would have in eating there, unsure if they kept to the Rule present in many Christian Orders, being vegetarian. He said that they of course did in fact do that and he was relieved to know that I'd practiced it myself for 11 years now...

That actually, he said, was his greatest concern as this is what most guests had the hardest time with energy-wise.
smile.gif

So, we did a little more talking about the Orthodox faith and how I related to it and about some of the etiquette, like dress-code for the Liturgy (Church services) and that silence, while not bound, if often practiced, that chatter wasn't the norm. (Which suits me just fine actually). But he assured me that there would be plenty of time for me to be able to talk with him as well as to get to know the other monks and novices, who were in their 30s themselves.

In the end we agree that I could leave, without guilt, if I needed and that if I was somehow wearing out my welcome that I too would pack my belongings and wander on down the road.

So I will be starting my 1 month stay at the monastery on July 31st, and per my Wife, if the monks interested and are need the help to wrap up more of their harvest I will stay another 2-3 weeks doing that with them.

Then I will be returning to my Wife in our new apartment in a new province in Canada and we'll enter into some conversation about how it went and what is next, whatever that might be.

The day starts at 4 am, and with some personal time for talk, study and prayer, I can be assured to have about 6 hours of working and 5 hours of worship during the waking hours.

On my free-time I'll be doing intensive talking and study on the Orthodox faith. And I'll be writing and exploring ways of integrating this monastic Rule into my life in the World.

I know there will be many pictures and stories to share.

I pray that this time will bare much fruit, helping me see the ones that are already present and finding perhaps in finding new sources in the Garden of my Self.

I pray to strengthen my intention and self-knowledge in how to more fully practice living the Way of growing and sharing the fruits of that searching, turning them into aid and service to others in the day to day and into my formal career as a helper.

Please remember me during this time.

Until then, I'll be around and we can talk some more, if you'd like.
Again, feel free to ask questions and share what is on your mind.....
I'm not as scattered in thought as I was in the OP, so don't fret if you feel the need to share some harder opinions or questions.

Thanks for allowing me to share this journey with you all.

:namaste

Peace.
SageTree

ratikala

Istha gosthi
jai jai , sounds amazing , :namaste

and the comuntiy is vegetarian / vegan too ,

simplicity is bliss :)

On my free-time I'll be doing intensive talking and study on the Orthodox faith. And I'll be writing and exploring ways of integrating this monastic Rule into my life in the World.

I know there will be many pictures and stories to share.

will be interesting to hear your thoughts on your return ,

how do you feel you should prepair your self before you go ?

with best wishes , and blessings , namaskaram :namaste

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
jai jai :namaste

and the comuntiy is vegetarian / vegan too ,

I had a suspicion that this was common in many (at least at times) in many monastic settings, but wasn't sure how it played out in North America in all cases, so that was actually a relief. There are vegan and oil-less days as well, so am looking forward to a more raw diet as well.

simplicity is bliss :)

Perhaps simple in some ways, and complex in others :D

will be interesting to hear your thoughts on your return ,

I am keeping a journal while there,
so hope to be able to share some good insights as well as general observations.

how do you feel you should prepair your self before you go ?

Well, for one thing, I'm starting to not drink any caffeine (which is 1-2 cups of coffee a day usually) and I am getting up earlier, when I wake naturally, so that won't be such a shock, on the physical notes.

I also just spent a week in the hot, humid mid-west, contemplating what August in Ohio will feel like, while out in the fields :D

Inwardly, I have been praying for strength and blessings of clear-mind,
to hear with a fullness, that I might know what I am to 'do' with this time, during and after.

But I have been avoiding allowing my mind to run wild with expectations of what will happen,
as I don't want to limit the Mystery of this time.

However, I have noticed my thoughts as intention for doing this,
and been specific in for the times of meditating on how this will all 'come back' with me,
as I venture into the wilderness.

Better said, I've been praying that I will have ears that hear and a heart that grows and knows.

Do you have any suggestions?

with best wishes , and blessings , namaskaram :namaste

Thank you. Pray for me and thanks for your inspirational Friendship.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
dear sage , :namaste

I had a suspicion that this was common in many (at least at times) in many monastic settings, but wasn't sure how it played out in North America in all cases, so that was actually a relief. There are vegan and oil-less days as well, so am looking forward to a more raw diet as well.

I hope you will find that it gives you a new kind of energy , am I right to assume that they grow all or most of what they eat ?

Perhaps simple in some ways, and complex in others
I'll stick with the simple bit :) .... we are the ones that make things un nececarily complex :(

I am keeping a journal while there,
so hope to be able to share some good insights as well as general observations.
will be good allso for you to look back on , that is not saying that we shalln't be interested to hear your thoughts , .... we most certainly shall .

Well, for one thing, I'm starting to not drink any caffeine (which is 1-2 cups of coffee a day usually) and I am getting up earlier, when I wake naturally, so that won't be such a shock, on the physical notes.
prefect thinking :) ..... and possibly (if you do eat any processed foods and sugars )cut them down too .

Inwardly, I have been praying for strength and blessings of clear-mind,
to hear with a fullness, that I might know what I am to 'do' with this time, during and after.
go in like a child full of wonder and everything will unfold ,

But I have been avoiding allowing my mind to run wild with expectations of what will happen,
as I don't want to limit the Mystery of this time.
this is the best thing you have said , to have expectations is limiting , as one is so intent on looking for ones expectations that one misses much that one is to discover .
to go in with no expectations ,is to go in with an open and clear mind

a child goes in with a little fear and a lot of excitement but an open heart and mind :namaste

However, I have noticed my thoughts as intention for doing this,
and been specific in for the times of meditating on how this will all 'come back' with me,
as I venture into the wilderness.

Better said, I've been praying that I will have ears that hear and a heart that grows and knows.

Do you have any suggestions?
yes , go in like a child full of wonder and fear , forget everything you think you know and just experience each day afresh .
Thank you. Pray for me and thanks for your inspirational Friendship.

pray with you , ...and for you , .....and with you as you will with and for us .
namaskaram :namaste

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Heading to the bus station Tuesday morning.

Will be at the monastery until the end of August, and then I'll be bumbling around the eastern states, not western, like I imagined, for a few weeks.

See you again soon.

Remember me in your thoughts and prayers.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Greetings Folks.

I am back after 4 weeks away.

Just letting everyone know I'm around here in the world around, but in still quite a different state of mind.

It isn't taking much stimulation for me to feel like there is a lot going on.

SO for now.... I'm present and here.

Everything went really well and I had a great time.

I left with more than I came with.... and not just the books and ikons in my bag. LoL.

Peace :namaste

SageTree

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram :namaste

''here'' is good ,

Im glad there was good too :)

we will be waiting to hear your news when you have had time to settle to the speed of things ,

best wishes :namaste