• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My weird Experience with a .... poltergeist?...

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
This happened one fine sunny weekend morning, quite out of the blue and without any other activity.

I had just woken up. Sat up in bed, scooted back against the headboard and fiddling with the alarm clock.

Suddenly, I heard a man chuckle in my bathroom.

Said bathroom was directly in front of me, door like 8 feet from foot of bed. Door was slightly ajar, 2"?
You can't tell much from a chuckle. I think it was a man, not too old or young, and I didn't recognize him.
Sounded like it came from the sink area, just to the right of that door. I was kinda freaked out , tellya!

Then the door opened. No hand in sight, I just watched it freakin open on it's own. See whole door.
Opened a little less than half way, and seemed to recoil back to it's previous place.

It did this three more times, then stopped. I sat there in bed for well quite a long time.
Screwing up my courage. Finally got up and moved to the door and opened it a bit, looked inside.
Sink mirror showed entire bathroom, no one was there. Looked down for the cat and opened
the door further. No cat, but dang if the door didn't come back at me just as I'd seen.

Opened the door more forcefully.

Laying on the floor in a heap, a bathtowel that had obviously fallen off the hook on the door back.
Happens all the time, it's not a good hook. Realized this was the cause of the door not opening
any further and bouncing off and closing again. Like I saw from the bed. Without knowing it there.

No one in my family believes me, and this is the first time I'm telling it publicly.

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
This happened one fine sunny weekend morning, quite out of the blue and without any other activity.

I had just woken up. Sat up in bed, scooted back against the headboard and fiddling with the alarm clock.

Said bathroom was directly in front of me, door like 8 feet from foot of bed. Door was slightly ajar, 2"?
You can't tell much from a chuckle. I think it was a man, not too old or young, and I didn't recognize him.
Sounded like it came from the sink area, just to the right of that door. I was kinda freaked out , tellya!

Then the door opened. No hand in sight, I just watched it freakin open on it's own. See whole door.
Opened a little less than half way, and seemed to recoil back to it's previous place.

It did this three more times, then stopped. I sat there in bed for well quite a long time.
Screwing up my courage. Finally got up and moved to the door and opened it a bit, looked inside.
Sink mirror showed entire bathroom, no one was there. Looked down for the cat and opened
the door further. No cat, but dang if the door didn't come back at me just as I'd seen.

Laying on the floor in a heap, a bathtowel that had obviously fallen off the hook on the door back.
Happens all the time, it's not a good hook. Realized this was the cause of the door not opening
any further and bouncing off and closing again. Like I saw from the bed. Without knowing it there.

No one in my family believes me, and this is the first time I'm telling it publicly.
I experienced something similar as you did ( except i saw the ghost)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I tend to be a skeptical person. It's interesting you just woke up because when your not entirely awake things can be a bit bizzare.

It's like that when in still a state of sleep, that twilight period, phenomenon like you describe can manifest.

HonestJoe

Laying on the floor in a heap, a bathtowel that had obviously fallen off the hook on the door back. Happens all the time, it's not a good hook. Realized this was the cause of the door not opening any further and bouncing off and closing again. Like I saw from the bed. Without knowing it there.
Isn't this a simple rational explanation then? It doesn't require any kind of outside influence for a towel to fall from a hook and that could both create an unusual sound (which in your just awoken state interpreted as a chuckle) and cause the door to move.

Even if there was something else involved, why would you go straight the to option of "poltergeist" over any of the countless other possibilities (aliens, fairies, time travellers etc.)?

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
Dear @Sedim Haba,

The experience has obviously stuck with you but I am curious about what you yourself make of it…

What have your thoughts been on it since it happened? What sort of questions has it brought up within? Why do you think you saw what you did, when you did, etc?

Humbly
Hermit

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Some may say that that's the time when you're more tuned into the non-physical realm.
When I was young I remember being forcefully pushed back into my bed when I challenged something.

I attribute it to sleep paralysis now, but it was rather shocking at the time.

HonestJoe

Some may say that that's the time when you're more tuned into the non-physical realm.
They might say that but they can't explain it. There are well understood reasons why we're more likely to imagine or mis-perceive things shortly after waking (or going to sleep). They don't require anything "non-physical" to explain them.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Even if there was something else involved, why would you go straight the to option of "poltergeist" over any of the countless other possibilities (aliens, fairies, time travellers etc.)?
Because they're far more preposterous and are rather condescending and asinine comparisons? Humor me here, let's assume ghosts are real for a moment; the disembodied consciousness of a dead person lingering in their former home would make sense. Now let's assume aliens or time travellers are real; what means or motive would they have to **** around in some random person's bathroom?

HonestJoe

Because they're far more preposterous and are rather condescending and asinine comparisons?
I strongly disagree. Why would any one of these possibilities be any more or less likely than the other? There is no concrete evidence for the existence of any of them but lots of people who believe in all.

Humor me here, let's assume ghosts are real for a moment; the disembodied consciousness of a dead person lingering in their former home would make sense. Now let's assume aliens or time travellers are real; what means or motive would they have to **** around in some random person's bathroom?
Fairies are famously playful with a warped sense of humour so giggling as they messed with people would make perfect sense.

If you were a time traveller trying to get to some meaningful period in history but found yourself in a random bath due to a calculation error, you might have a little laugh about it before triggering your return to try again.

Any aliens are alien - who knows why they do what they do. :cool:

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.

I experienced something similar as you did ( except i saw the ghost)

I certainly believe you both, because I've had multiple experiences with the paranormal myself, as I've shared in other threads in this sub-forum. @Sedim Haba, do you have a digital recorder, or can you get a hold of a Spirit Box? If you have a digital recorder, then I recommend you place it on the bathroom counter, turn it on, and then quietly close the door and leave your bedroom (or house) for a while. If you get your hands on a Spirit Box, then I recommend that you conduct a burst EVP session, which means you turn on the Spirit Box and ask different questions to see if you can get a response from the spirit residing in your home. A spirit will often talk to you or answer your questions through the Spirit Box. I strongly recommend that you don't provoke the spirit.

I also recommend the Necrophonic app on the iPhone. I will tell you that these apps, and others like it, are often disputed by a few disgruntled paranormal investigators who believe that actual hand held "tried and true" ghost hunting equipment is the only way to properly investigate the paranormal. However, I've personally spent a lot of time testing various iPhone paranormal related apps in the field, and I write thorough reviews for the apps I test. I personally test these apps multiple times in different haunted locations, and I write the reviews for each one, so that other people interested in the paranormal can be well-informed about the reliability and effectiveness of the app. It's a task that I don't take lightly. I've spent a lot of time testing these apps, and I've shared the results with other paranormal investigators. I've tested these apps while using hand held equipment, and I believe they are legitimate.

Two different spirits, on two separate occasions in different locations, said hello to me and said my name. One of these incidents was on an iPhone that was not mine, and it didn't have any information about me saved in its memory. The other incident was audible, and it was heard by three other people. It happened in a hotel that I was staying in with my husband while he was on a business trip. The first incident was on an iPhone belonging to a friend of my in-laws, who didn't know me and had no prior contact with me until that time. The man is a devout Christian, and he was a hardcore skeptic of the paranormal. He harshly berated me for believing in the paranormal. He tried to call me out, and he called me a liar. So, I challenged him by asking him if I could upload one of my ghost hunting apps on his iPhone. He enthusiastically agreed, thinking he would show me up. I then verified with my in-laws and a few other people who were present that my name wasn't in his contacts. I uploaded the app and I conducted an EVP session right then and there in the restaurant we were in. Before I started the session, I introduced myself, and then I asked the questions I normally ask the spirits. Well, we received multiple Class A EVPs, including a spirit that said hello to me and said my name.

For the record, this man is no longer a skeptic, and he apologized to me after it was all said and done. I agreed to meet with him the next day with my hand held equipment to further verify to him that paranormal experiences are real, and it's not all in my head.

Last edited:

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
Isn't this a simple rational explanation then? It doesn't require any kind of outside influence for a towel to fall from a hook and that could both create an unusual sound (which in your just awoken state interpreted as a chuckle) and cause the door to move.

If it had closed, going away from the falling towel, yes that theory would make sense.
But it moved into the towel. Multiple times.

Dear @Sedim Haba,

The experience has obviously stuck with you but I am curious about what you yourself make of it…

What have your thoughts been on it since it happened? What sort of questions has it brought up within? Why do you think you saw what you did, when you did, etc?

For myself, it's hard to describe the confusion, and a bit of wonder, at what I saw.

For both final Q's , I will post elsewhere here my theory of what happened.
Here I just want to discuss the actual event.

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
I tend to be a skeptical person. It's interesting you just woke up because when your not entirely awake things can be a bit bizzare.

It's like that when in still a state of sleep, that twilight period, phenomenon like you describe can manifest.

Well, I was awake enough to have changed the time on my alarm clock,
as I found out that night when I found it in my bed where I dropped it.

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
Because they're far more preposterous and are rather condescending and asinine comparisons? Humor me here, let's assume ghosts are real for a moment; the disembodied consciousness of a dead person lingering in their former home would make sense. Now let's assume aliens or time travellers are real; what means or motive would they have to **** around in some random person's bathroom?

So many posts to answer....
As I said in a different reply, I will make a completely different post on theories why.
This thread is only about the experience itself.

(Spoiler alert: None of the above yet all of the above.)

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
I certainly believe you both, because I've had multiple experiences with the paranormal myself, as I've shared in other threads in this sub-forum
For the record, this man is no longer a skeptic, and he apologized to me after it was all said and done. I agreed to meet with him the next day with my hand held equipment to further verify to him that paranormal experiences are real, and it's not all in my head.

Thank you for the info. I certainly believe that some people are... sensitive to that which
can't be seen by most. I wish I had the energy now to post the new theory thread, but
I want it to be clear. As an autistic person, I review and re-review and re-re-review what
I post to make it, well, at least seem I'm normal. But I if you met me in person, a whole
different situation.

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
I'm rather surprised no one mentioned my last sentence, that my family doesn't believe me.

They all think it was a dream.

However I have multiple reasons to be sure it was not. Just to throw that out there.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I strongly disagree. Why would any one of these possibilities be any more or less likely than the other? There is no concrete evidence for the existence of any of them but lots of people who believe in all.

Fairies are famously playful with a warped sense of humour so giggling as they messed with people would make perfect sense.

If you were a time traveller trying to get to some meaningful period in history but found yourself in a random bath due to a calculation error, you might have a little laugh about it before triggering your return to try again.

Any aliens are alien - who knows why they do what they do. :cool:
I know that it's logical to be skeptical of things that black concrete evidence, but to suggest your comparisons were equally probable and plausible struck me as dismissive, condescending, and against the spirit of the DIR (no pun intended). I know I'm being a HUGE hypocrite as I've done the same thing many times here, but it rubbed me the wrong way for some reason.

HonestJoe

I know that it's logical to be skeptical of things that black concrete evidence, but to suggest your comparisons were equally probable and plausible struck me as dismissive, condescending, and against the spirit of the DIR (no pun intended). I know I'm being a HUGE hypocrite as I've done the same thing many times here, but it rubbed me the wrong way for some reason.
I must admit there is an element of intent there (though certainly not targeted at any individual of course). I generally object to the presumed/implied status of this section, where it appears some kinds of speculation are permitted but other equivalent speculation isn't. It'd be like having discussions about a political decision but only allowing comments that supported it or discussions about a court ruling but only allowing comments opposing it.

My major issue with this entire field is that so often a singular predetermined hypothesis is proposed (though rarely evidenced) to explain some phenomena, event or experience and is automatically deemed the default, even to the point that no alternative can even be considered, certainly to the point that any alterative is deemed less likely without any valid basis. Logically speaking, any unexplained phenomena should be open to any viable hypothesis in the absence of contradictory evidence. Of course, that leads to the class human blocker - admitting that we don't actually know.

This thread has turned out to be a very good example since "poltergeist" was the proposed hypothesis in the OP yet in the subsequent thread on the topic, the OP has proposed an entirely different hypothesis. The irony being that if someone had suggested that alternative on this thread, it might be seen as just as dismissive and condescending as my alterative suggestions (indeed, their hypothesis isn't a million miles from my time traveller option).