• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My unconventional mind

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Mysteries of the human mind -

In “The Idea of the Brain: The Past and Future of Neuroscience,” Matthew Cobb, a biologist at the University of Manchester, shows just how long and arduous the road to understanding the brain has been — and, as he makes clear, the journey has only just begun. The brain, we are often told, is the most complex entity in the known universe. And though we surmise that the brain is what allows us to think and feel and perceive and know, it is far from clear how it accomplishes this.

A good metaphor might help, if only we could latch onto the right one: Is the brain like a complicated electrical circuit, or a telephone switchboard, or a digital computer, or a neural network? Or none of the above? As Cobb lays out the history, from the ancient Greeks to the present day, he offers a candid analysis of where these analogies have been helpful, and where they’ve fallen short.

Book Review: Unlocking the Mysteries of the Human Brain

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Miraculous healing? - for thread?

Beyond the belief in the body's self-healing capacity, integrative medicine promotes healthy lifestyle and stresses the importance of the mind-body connection. In describing the miracles I wrote about in my book, Miracles in Healing, I remember hearing over and over how individuals who had been able to heal used the power of their minds to heal their bodies through guided imagery, visioning, relaxation, laughter and spiritual connection.

There is no one answer and not everyone is guaranteed a miracle. Everyone can heal, however - whether the healing be through a cure of their illness or emotional and spiritual healing through the dying process. Both seem miraculous to me.

From this blog -

Miraculous Healing

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
God's Debris is the first non-Dilbert, non-humor book by best-selling author Scott Adams. Adams describes God's Debris as a thought experiment wrapped in a story. It's designed to make your brain spin around inside your skull.

Imagine that you meet a very old man who--you eventually realize--knows literally everything. Imagine that he explains for you the great mysteries of life: quantum physics, evolution, God, gravity, light psychic phenomenon, and probability--in a way so simple, so novel, and so compelling that it all fits together and makes perfect sense. What does it feel like to suddenly understand everything?

Enjoy your evening!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
"The people with the clear heads are the ones who look life in the face, realize that everything in it is problematic, and feel themselves lost. And this is the simple truth: that to live is to feel oneself lost. Those who accept it have already begun to find themselves, to be on firm ground."

José Ortega y Gasset

quotes and quotations contents

Hours of fun??

:)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
When we find ourselves in the grip of fiery anger, or constricting sadness, or another powerful emotion, what’s often needed is to open up the inner space where we can simply notice what’s going on with ourselves. Yet, in the moment that seems ruled by the emotion (or emotions), we may be unsure how to even begin doing this.

One way to find a wise response is through understanding that difficult emotions like anger, fear, shame, and grief almost always involve a mix of conceptual and somatic (bodily felt) elements. The conceptual part involves the particulars of the situation that is giving rise to the emotions: its “storyline.” The somatic element is the way in which we experience the emotion in our bodies. If we are angry with someone, for example, there is the storyline of what they said or did that triggered our anger—That was unfair / What they said is wrong / They should know better!— and then there is the physical arousal taking place: our pumping heart, the heat in our belly, our shoulder muscles tensing.

Making Friends with Difficult Emotions - Mindful

All the best

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Whenever I face challenges, obstacles, or difficulties in life, I return to one book, time and again: When Things Fall Apart, Heart Advice for Difficult Times by Pema Chödrön.

Chödrön knows how to distill the wisdom of the Buddhist teachings for the Western mind and heart, making them universally applicable to everyone, whatever their background, faith, or absence of faith. She has a knack for drilling right to the core, putting her finger on exactly what we need to know to transcend unhappy and unhealthy patterns, once and for all.

48 of the Best Pema Chödrön Quotes for Difficult Times — Always Well Within

:)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Try - Dawkins proof God ...

When I settled down to read Richard Dawkins’ latest book, The God Delusion, I was surprised at just how much of his book I agreed with. And yet my view of the world is very different to that of Richard Dawkins. Something very strange seems to be going on here!! It seems to me that Dawkins has been very clever in the design of his book. It is written very powerfully – the stories and illustrations he uses tend to persuade the reader to agree with him and by doing so it is easy to get drawn into believing that he is providing supporting evidence for his main thesis, that God is nothing more than a delusion. But rhetorical power does not equate to rational proof, and on the latter I am afraid the book is rather lacking.

Dawkins' Delusions: faith and evidence

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
More God quotes? - after John and click here thread ...

roy-lessin-1200856.jpg

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
The Purpose of the Pandemic

Some people think a pandemic is just a biological event, just an organism wanting to reproduce, and that there's no master plan at work, no grand purpose, no “Nature sending us to our rooms to think about what we've done,” which is one of the memes that's made the rounds during the pandemic. That it's just predation, not punishment.

And then there are others who believe that this is the dawning of the Age of Aquarius, the beginning of the Great Turning, the New Consciousness, the long-hungered-for reset for humanity. And to be sure, there are plenty of opportunities in all of this for spiritual optimists—lessons in unity, interconnectedness, compassion, nonattachment.

The Purpose of the Pandemic—20 Personal Questions

All the best!