• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My theory about gravity.

Jonathan Bailey

Life as we know it could not exist without gravity. It is a natural binding force, the cause of which is mysterious, that holds everything together in our world and in our universe. Matter would just float in space freely and aimlessly without form otherwise. Without gravity, the universal and mutual attraction between material bodies, there could be no solar system or orbits of heavenly bodies as a foundation to cement life and all the natural necessary provisions to make life possible. Gravity is the restraint the keeps us from drifting away from our sun forever so that we would otherwise freeze to death in short order.

Gravity, like water, makes life possible but also either is sometimes the cause of death. Mother Nature gives life: Mother Nature takes away life.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
Life as we know it could not exist without gravity. It is a natural binding force, the cause of which is mysterious, that holds everything together in our world and in our universe. Matter would just float in space freely and aimlessly without form otherwise. Without gravity, the universal and mutual attraction between material bodies, there could be no solar system or orbits of heavenly bodies as a foundation to cement life and all the natural necessary provisions to make life possible. Gravity is the restraint the keeps us from drifting away from our sun forever so that we would otherwise freeze to death in short order.

Gravity, like water, makes life possible but also either is sometimes the cause of death. Mother Nature gives life: Mother Nature takes away life.
Electromagnetism is just as important. And the strong and weak nuclear interactions. Without any of these there would be no atoms and molecules in the first place.

I must say I find this sort of thing a little bit pointless. The whole of nature works together and if any part of it were different the outcome would not be what we observe. But, er, it is not different. One might as well speculate about what it would be like if the sun were green, or if one had not been born.

Jonathan Bailey

Electromagnetism is just as important. And the strong and weak nuclear interactions. Without any of these there would be no atoms and molecules in the first place.

I must say I find this sort of thing a little bit pointless. The whole of nature works together and if any part of it were different the outcome would not be what we observe. But, er, it is not different. One might as well speculate about what it would be like if the sun were green, or if one had not been born.

The point is gravity both makes life possible and KILLS!
if you were to jump out a 50-story window (sans chute) you'd see what I mean.

Gravity is so mysterious though. We don't know what causes this attraction or how it works. It's not like the planet earth pulls us to the ground with ropes or wires (something we can see or touch) attached to us. There's no apparent binding and pulling ropes or wires between a magnet and a piece of steel either. Field forces seem so supernatural, so paranormal and so much like magic but are so natural. There is nothing seemingly, to the human physical senses, tangible (touching or connecting mechanically) between attracting masses in field-force phenomena. A pair of repelling magnets push objects (each other) away with nothing seemingly tangible (perceptible) between the mutually-repelled bodies likewise. Does a repelling magnet push the other magnet away with it's "invisible arm"?

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I also wanted to ask the same question. "Goddidit"? It is not that gravity acts without reason. There is mass (and mass is probably made up of energy).

Last edited:

Jonathan Bailey

I also wanted to ask the same question. "Goddid it"? It is not that gravity acts without reason. There is mass (and mass is probably made up of energy).

Could it be that gravity is a field force supplied to creation by God? It's the glue that cements everything together in the physical cosmos, maybe? Something seeming so magical as gravity and magnetism could even be a compelling argument for the existence of a Supreme Being.

Falling objects also accelerate. Possibly, the invisible reel with an invisible hand crank of invisible rope attached to a visible falling object and turned by earth's invisible arm picks up it's rate of rotation rapidly in linear fashion. Rate of gravitational acceleration is linear, not exponential. Mother Earth is just cranking her invisible rope of gravity increasingly faster at a constant (uniform) rate of acceleration until the falling object makes contact with her face. When you fall to your death from a building, earth is just reeling you in very quickly.

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Gravity is so mysterious though. We don't know what causes this attraction or how it works. It's not like the planet earth pulls us to the ground with ropes or wires (something we can see or touch) attached to us. There's no apparent binding and pulling ropes or wires between a magnet and a piece of steel either. Field forces seem so supernatural, so paranormal and so much like magic but are so natural. There is nothing seemingly, to the human physical senses, tangible (touching or connecting mechanically) between attracting masses in field-force phenomena. A pair of repelling magnets push objects (each other) away with nothing seemingly tangible (perceptible) between the mutually-repelled bodies likewise. Does a repelling magnet push the other magnet away with it's "invisible arm"?

So you just showed that gravity and elecromagnetism are both mysterious in the same way. One difference is that gravity is always attractive while E&M can be both attractive or repulsive. Which is more mysterious?

But even if there *were* things touching and connected mechanically, the *actual* forces involved are electromagnetic: it is the repulsion between the atoms that conveys 'mechanical' forces.

All that means is that you need to update your intuitions. 'Mechanical' forces are NOT the standard: the fundamental forces are those like gravity and electromagnetism. Mechanical forces arise out of the action of these more 'mysterious' forces, which are actually just how things are.

But you are right. Without gravity, life on Earth would be impossible. But the same is, perhaps, even more true of E&M.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Gravity is more properly understood as the bending of space-time caused by the presence of mass...it is not really 'a force field'...although in Newtonian mechanics it can be expressed that way.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Gravity is more properly understood as the bending of space-time caused by the presence of mass...it is not really 'a force field'...although in Newtonian mechanics it can be expressed that way.

One way of viewing electromagnetism is as a curvature in a *fifth*, small, circular dimension.

The curvature is still regarded as a 'field', even in general relativity. One difference is that there are several related fields to work with: the metric, the connection, and the different curvature tensors.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Electromagnetism kills too - as that squirrel that brought down half the US power grid a few years realised, too late.:D

Why is gravity any more mysterious than the electromagnetic force? We have no explanation for either. They are just what is observed.

Skwim

Veteran Member
To me, THEORY is a human notion without absolute proof.
And therein lies your problem. Obviously you have little idea of what a theory is, and because you're talking about the scientific consideration of a force, it would be a scientific theory, rather than an ad hoc common notion of "theory." In science then, a theory is "a coherent group of propositions formulated to explain a group of facts or phenomena in the natural world and repeatedly confirmed through experiment or observation."
source

In contrast, the common notion of "theory" is nothing more than, a group of linked ideas intended to explain something.
Source: Wikipedia

Last edited:

gnostic

The Lost One
Gravity is so mysterious though. We don't know what causes this attraction or how it works.
Mass, Jonathan. Mass.

All matters and atoms, even some elementary subatomic particles, have masses.

In our Solar System, each planets, dwarf planets, asteroids, etc, have masses, but the largest mass is our star, the Sun.

But you must remember, with mass, there are energy.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
When you discuss, what is not science, for you discuss what you claim is relative to the planet, O a body, in a space body and an atmosphere...….it is not and never will be relative to science, a male and a machine controlled reaction.

For when a human says, to another human, do you realize that your words and thinking does not own the natural bodies or talk on behalf of those natural bodies in their forces in reality, using and being conscious!

A male taught original science via entities as God O bodies, as concepts of self existing entities...which did not include his self.

When you then do include yourself, if you placed self into any of your thoughts, you would not exist as a human, as relative idealism. Therefore for what reason do you discuss as a human what you think is a theory....for what purpose does it own?

If a male says I believe gravity exists, then congratulations, I only am told what you believe. If I get told, you are meant to interact and advise me if my theory is wrong....I would ask why? You believe what you are saying.

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
Life as we know it could not exist without gravity. It is a natural binding force, the cause of which is mysterious, that holds everything together in our world and in our universe.
As the dynamic cause in consensus science of gravity is mysterious, maybe some gravity conclusions are mysterious too? Either ways, it´s a long shot to claim gravity to work universally just by watching an apple fall to the ground, isn´t it?

Here is another falling example: Watch this video "Brian Cox visits the world´s biggest vacuum" -

Here a feather and a bowling ball falls with the same velocity in the emptied chamber, seemingly significantly ignoring the force of gravity on and from the Earth.

The question is then: Is the force of gravity simply confused for the weight pressure and resistance of air in the atmosphere which has the similar properties as "gravity"?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
To me, THEORY is a human notion without absolute proof.
Not what a theory is:

A scientific theory is an explanation of an aspect of the natural world that can be repeatedly tested and verified in accordance with the scientific method, using accepted protocols of observation, measurement, and evaluation of results. Where possible, theories are tested under controlled conditions in an experiment.[1][2] In circumstances not amenable to experimental testing, theories are evaluated through principles of abductive reasoning.

Your idea missed the mark by a wide margin.