• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Sugar Experiment

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Okay so, a while ago my doctor told me that according to my blood work I was prediabetic.

I tried cutting back on refined sugar, but I was having a hard time with it (I'm addicted to granola bars. I like to tell myself that all the fiber and protein makes up for all the sugar, but then I like to tell myself a lot of things).

Anyway, I just broke a 3-day fruit fast yesterday; that's where you go a few days eating nothing but fruit. With me it's mostly oranges. And yes I know fruit has a lot of sugar in it, but it's refined sugar that I'm trying to avoid, and anyway as fruit goes oranges have a pretty low sugar count.

When I was thinking about breaking the fast yesterday, I reached for the big bag of granola bars I have stashed and realized it didn't sound appealing at all to me. For that matter, I would have had to force myself to eat one.

Kind of a surprise: like I said, up until now I was fairly addicted to these things.

So I ate some broccoli and celery instead, and then later, corn chips for a snack.

This morning I woke up feeling really good, even though I only got 4 hours of sleep last night (lately 6 to 7 hours is normal for me) and had all kinds of things planned for today.

Then, as I was going through my book bag getting ready for my day, I found half a chocolate bar that I'd forgoten about.

I figured it would be okay since it was dark chocolate (78%) and as far as candy goes, fairly low on sugar.

So I ate it, and I felt like crap immediately.
I went from looking forward to going garage sale-ing today--- which for me means riding my bike anywhere from 10 to 15 miles over a lot of hilly country, and then heading to the beach or university which would mean another four or five miles round trip---to feeling like I just wanted to go back to bed and watch movies all day.

So I think I'm going to compromise and just skip the garage sales (too late in the day now anyway) and just do some shopping and then head to the university.

Still, all in all, I'm seeing this as a big success: not only am I not craving granola bars (or anything else sweet right now) but the whole idea of eating one just sounds really repulsive to me. You'd basically have to pay me to eat one. :p

Anybody want 3 and 1/2 dozen granola bars for free?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Well, I don't know how old you are ( younger than me I'm guessing), but while you're young (or youngish) you can get away with a lot more.

Also, feeling like crap can get to be normal, at which point it isn't actually feeling like crap, it's just feeling normal. :D
I'm 62....

amorphous_constellation

I think more and more, I am seeing the utility in cutting down on stuff like that, and on eating better. Not this morning though. This morning when I got off work, I went across to the gas station and got some potato chips and sugary drinks. I guess I keep thinking that by doing this, it will cap off the week, and help me relax. Nope, I basically only slept a couple hours after having that stuff, and my brain is like a sort of revved up sludge. I don't know. One can't be productive every day, but this isn't the feeling I am looking for

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
When I was thinking about breaking the fast yesterday, I reached for the big bag of granola bars I have stashed and realized it didn't sound appealing at all to me. For that matter, I would have had to force myself to eat one.

This is a sign of progress.

So I ate some broccoli and celery instead, and then later, corn chips for a snack.

Very nice.

This morning I woke up feeling really good, even though I only got 4 hours of sleep last night (lately 6 to 7 hours is normal for me)

Amazing!

I figured it would be okay since it was dark chocolate (78%) and as far as candy goes, fairly low on sugar.

So I ate it, and I felt like crap immediately.

This encourages me to experiment with my sugar consumption.

Still, all in all, I'm seeing this as a big success

Just to be silly, I like Borat's term great success, with the accent.

Anybody want 3 and 1/2 dozen granola bars for free?

Hmm. I'd say save your money by not shipping 'em to me.

Also, feeling like crap can get to be normal, at which point it isn't actually feeling like crap, it's just feeling normal. :D

I suspect that my body-mind complex often feels 'normal' aka like crap. It's probably all that darn sugar that I've been consuming since March this year. Korea does not have artificial sweetener, apparently.

Food really has more effect than we think it does...

Yeah. As we may know from experience, its effects are on many levels.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, the experiment was a success: I had my blood sugar levels tested today and they're well within a normal, healthy range.

I've cut down on sugar dramatically over the last few months. I got pretty fanatical about it for awhile: went from my usual 5 pints of ice cream per week during the summer to one a month, I switched from bread to tortillas or corn chips to avoid the little bit of sugar that you almost always find in bread. I kicked my granola bar addiction :p : wound up throwing away the 3 1/2 dozen granola bars I already had on hand (minus 2 that I ate in a minor relapse). Also cut out licorice (another minor addiction).

Funny: right when I decided to start avoiding sugar, sugar-free everything started showing up all of a sudden in the discount corner at the Sprouts food store in my town. Candy and cookies for anywhere up to 75% off the normal price. It's not like this had always been the case and I was just noticing it now either: I check the discount section every time I go there and always have and I've never seen so much sugar free stuff on discount before.