• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"My Son is Gay"

Smoke

Done here.
"The homosexual does derive sex satisfaction from relation with males; he can easily get sex partners; he is prejudiced in favor of males; and he often has built an entire life around his homosexuality. Under the circumstances, he is just as likely to want to change his pattern of living and to become exclusively heterosexual as the successful criminal is to want to get a relatively low paying job and to work honestly for the rest of his life."
(Albert Eillis)

"... I have seen several cases in which men and women in their thirties and forties simply forced themselves to forego all homosexual contacts and propelled themselves into heterosexual relations, and within a year or two of so doing, these individuals had become largely or exclusively heterosexual in their desires and activities. I have even seen one instance in which a male homosexual and a lesbian deliberately married each other for reasons of convenience, but when they began experimenting sexually... they eventually learned to like heterosexual more than homosexual rlations."
(Albert Ellis)

"... actual case studies and statistical reports on homosexuals who have been successfully treated in individual treatment and by group therapy methods have been reported in the scientific literature by a great number of therapists."
(Albert Ellis)

Albert Ellis Advances in Sex Research, Vol. 1. (Oct., 1963), pp. 161-186. | Westwood, G.: A minority. New York, Longmans, 1960 | Hirschfeld, M.: "Homosexuality," in Encyclopedia Sexualis, ed. by Robinson, V, New york, Dingwall-Rock, 1936.
The problem is, the data don't support what Ellis said here. Albert Ellis was a great man in many respects, not least in being unafraid to admit when he was wrong. He later thoroughly repudiated his earlier views on homosexuality.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
"The homosexual does derive sex satisfaction from relation with males; he can easily get sex partners; he is prejudiced in favor of males; and he often has built an entire life around his homosexuality. Under the circumstances, he is just as likely to want to change his pattern of living and to become exclusively heterosexual as the successful criminal is to want to get a relatively low paying job and to work honestly for the rest of his life."
(Albert Eillis)

"... I have seen several cases in which men and women in their thirties and forties simply forced themselves to forego all homosexual contacts and propelled themselves into heterosexual relations, and within a year or two of so doing, these individuals had become largely or exclusively heterosexual in their desires and activities. I have even seen one instance in which a male homosexual and a lesbian deliberately married each other for reasons of convenience, but when they began experimenting sexually... they eventually learned to like heterosexual more than homosexual rlations."
(Albert Ellis)

"... actual case studies and statistical reports on homosexuals who have been successfully treated in individual treatment and by group therapy methods have been reported in the scientific literature by a great number of therapists."
(Albert Ellis)

Albert Ellis Advances in Sex Research, Vol. 1. (Oct., 1963), pp. 161-186. | Westwood, G.: A minority. New York, Longmans, 1960 | Hirschfeld, M.: "Homosexuality," in Encyclopedia Sexualis, ed. by Robinson, V, New york, Dingwall-Rock, 1936.
The problem is, the data don't support what Ellis said here. Albert Ellis was a great man in many respects, not least in being unafraid to admit when he was wrong. He later thoroughly repudiated his earlier views on homosexuality.
In 1973 the American Psychiatric Association declared that homosexuality was no longer a mental disorder and thus not properly subject to cure and in 1976 Ellis repudiated his earlier views in Sex and the Liberated Man, going on to become strongly supportive of the rights of gays, lesbians, and others.
Source

Anti-World

That's interesting. I wonder what exactly he "repudiated". The idea that homosexuals can be treated or should? I'll have to read that book.

"Recent studies postulate biologic factors as the primary basis for sexual orientation. However, there is no evidence at present to substantiate a biologic theory ... Critical review shows the evidence favoring a biologic theory to be lacking." [W. Byne M.D., Ph.D., B. Parsons, M.D., Ph.D. (1993), Human Sexual Orientation: The Biologic Theories Reappraised, Archives of General Psychiatry, p. 228]

"... in a long series of studies on boys who showed effeminate behavior in childhood has demonstrated that although over half of these boys do become homosexual, a substantial minority of them do not. This indicates that gender-discordant children are not born homosexual, but rather are born with certain behavioral tendencies that, given contributory environmental factors, can predispose them towards homosexual behavior. Thus, a little boy whose behavior is effeminate, who does not like competitive athletics, and who prefers music and art, may be disappointing to a macho father, who tends to reject the boy and distance himself from him. The mother may respond by overprotecting her son. Such reactions disturb the boy's capacity to identify positively with his father and cause him to over identify with his mother. He may then ultimately develop homosexual erotic responses which are reinforced by later experiences." [J. Marmor, "Homosexuality: Nature versus Nurture," The Harvard Mental Health Letter, October 1985, p. 6]

"'The idea that people are born into one type of sexual behavior is foolish.' ... The move towards 'biologizing' homosexuality, he says, isn't the result of a scientific consensus, but a political consensus by those eager to label people gay or straight. Homosexuality, he says, is a 'behavior, not a condition,' and something that some people can and do change, just like they sometimes change tastes and other personality traits." [K. Painter, (March 1, 1989), A Biologic Theory for Sexual Preference, USA Today p. 4D]

"I have recently had occasion to review the results of psychotherapy with homosexuals, and been surprised by the findings. It is paradoxical that even though the politically active homosexual group denies the possibility of change, all studies, from Schrenck-Notzing on, have found positive effects, virtually regardless of the kind of treatment used ...". [R. Fine (1987) Psychological Theory, Male and Female Homosexuality: Psychological Approaches, p. 84, Diamant L, ed., Hemisphere Publishing: Washington, D.C]

Can Homosexuals Change?

By the way, I'd be interested in seeing the studies that show homosexuality is inborn.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
That's interesting. I wonder what exactly he "repudiated". The idea that homosexuals can be treated or should? I'll have to read that book.

"Recent studies postulate biologic factors as the primary basis for sexual orientation. However, there is no evidence at present to substantiate a biologic theory ... Critical review shows the evidence favoring a biologic theory to be lacking." [W. Byne M.D., Ph.D., B. Parsons, M.D., Ph.D. (1993), Human Sexual Orientation: The Biologic Theories Reappraised, Archives of General Psychiatry, p. 228]

"... in a long series of studies on boys who showed effeminate behavior in childhood has demonstrated that although over half of these boys do become homosexual, a substantial minority of them do not. This indicates that gender-discordant children are not born homosexual, but rather are born with certain behavioral tendencies that, given contributory environmental factors, can predispose them towards homosexual behavior. Thus, a little boy whose behavior is effeminate, who does not like competitive athletics, and who prefers music and art, may be disappointing to a macho father, who tends to reject the boy and distance himself from him. The mother may respond by overprotecting her son. Such reactions disturb the boy's capacity to identify positively with his father and cause him to over identify with his mother. He may then ultimately develop homosexual erotic responses which are reinforced by later experiences." [J. Marmor, "Homosexuality: Nature versus Nurture," The Harvard Mental Health Letter, October 1985, p. 6]

"'The idea that people are born into one type of sexual behavior is foolish.' ... The move towards 'biologizing' homosexuality, he says, isn't the result of a scientific consensus, but a political consensus by those eager to label people gay or straight. Homosexuality, he says, is a 'behavior, not a condition,' and something that some people can and do change, just like they sometimes change tastes and other personality traits." [K. Painter, (March 1, 1989), A Biologic Theory for Sexual Preference, USA Today p. 4D]

"I have recently had occasion to review the results of psychotherapy with homosexuals, and been surprised by the findings. It is paradoxical that even though the politically active homosexual group denies the possibility of change, all studies, from Schrenck-Notzing on, have found positive effects, virtually regardless of the kind of treatment used ...". [R. Fine (1987) Psychological Theory, Male and Female Homosexuality: Psychological Approaches, p. 84, Diamant L, ed., Hemisphere Publishing: Washington, D.C]

Can Homosexuals Change?

By the way, I'd be interested in seeing the studies that show homosexuality is inborn.
15 years

Anti-World

Bleh... Simply because research is old, doesn't mean that it is invalid unless the research was incorrectly done.

"If homosexuality were significantly influenced by genes, it would appear in every culture, but in twenty-nine of seventy-nine cultures surveyed by Ford and Beach in 1952, homosexuality was rare or absent." My Genes Made Me Do it - a scientific look at sexual orientation by Dr Neil Whitehead and Briar Whitehead - Chapter 6

Dr. Tahir I. Jaz, M.D., Winnipeg, Canada states: "The increasing claims of being "born that way" parallels the rising political activism of homosexual organisations, who politicise the issue of homosexual origins . In the 1970s, approximately ten percent of homosexuals claimed to be "born homosexual" according to a large scale survey....However, in a survey in the 1980s, with the homosexual rights movement increasingly becoming active, thirty-five percent claimed to be born that way.
(Huh, what a coincidence.)

In 1980 a study was published in the American Journal of Psychiatry which stated that eleven former homosexual men became heterosexuals "without explicit treatment and/or long-term psychotherapy" through their participation in a Pentecostal church
(Did they lie?)

Homosexuality Statistics - Conservapedia

Anthropologists had observed that relatively uncompetitive primitive cultures such as those that do not distinguish or reward the best hunters in distinction to the other men in the tribe have virtually no homosexuality
(Those genes weren't in the mix, yet?)

"Science does not support that homosexuality is genetic" 2000
http://www.cwfa.org/images/content/bornorbred.pdf

Homosexuality and Genetics - Conservapedia

Biased sites, probably, but I have yet to see someone give be a link to a study that shows otherwise.

Anti-World

"Identical twins have identical genes. If homosexuality was a biological condition produced inescapably by the genes (e.g. eye color), then if one identical twin was homosexual, in 100% of the cases his brother would be too. But we know that only about 38% of the time is the identical twin brother homosexual. Genes are responsible for an indirect influence, but on average, they do not force people into homosexuality. This conclusion has been well known in the scientific community for a few decades but has not reached the general public. Indeed, the public increasingly believes the opposite." Whitehead
Study Seeks To Discover Genetic Origin Of Homosexuality

http://www.mygenes.co.nz/Ch12.pdf

I think i can find more... But I think I'll leave it at that.

Smoke

Done here.
You can find a great deal more. Most of it will be disinformation put out by people who object to homosexuality, usually on religious grounds.

I don't know to what extent homosexuality is genetic, just as I don't know to what extent heterosexuality is genetic. The etiology of sexuality is complex and largely shrouded in mystery. However, programs to help people change have a very large failure rate and a tiny "success" rate. "Success" for these programs means that people discipline themselves to live as heterosexuals but still experience homosexual orientation. It's a lot of anguish for a virtually worthless result; we can force ourselves to live as heterosexuals without any therapy at all, just as heterosexuals could force themselves to live as homosexuals without any therapy at all. Heterosexuals who are segregated by sex -- in prison, for instance -- often do live as homosexuals. But they're still heterosexual. You can change the behavior, but not the orientation, and forcing someone to live a lie isn't psychologically healthy either for the person living it or for the spouse who has the misfortune to be living it with him.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Bleh... Simply because research is old, doesn't mean that it is invalid unless the research was incorrectly done.
Interesting that you seem to claim that there is NO research that has been done in the area since 1993.

"If homosexuality were significantly influenced by genes, it would appear in every culture, but in twenty-nine of seventy-nine cultures surveyed by Ford and Beach in 1952, homosexuality was rare or absent." My Genes Made Me Do it - a scientific look at sexual orientation by Dr Neil Whitehead and Briar Whitehead - Chapter 6
And to think that back in 1952 homosexuals were just dying to tell the world they were gay.

Dr. Tahir I. Jaz, M.D., Winnipeg, Canada states: "The increasing claims of being "born that way" parallels the rising political activism of homosexual organisations, who politicise the issue of homosexual origins . In the 1970s, approximately ten percent of homosexuals claimed to be "born homosexual" according to a large scale survey....However, in a survey in the 1980s, with the homosexual rights movement increasingly becoming active, thirty-five percent claimed to be born that way.
(Huh, what a coincidence.)
So what.
I could care less what you or anyone else believes concerning the gay gene.
i am more interested in the science of it.

In 1980 a study was published in the American Journal of Psychiatry which stated that eleven former homosexual men became heterosexuals "without explicit treatment and/or long-term psychotherapy" through their participation in a Pentecostal church
(Did they lie?)
Again, so what.
And for the same reason.

Homosexuality Statistics - Conservapedia
Anthropologists had observed that relatively uncompetitive primitive cultures such as those that do not distinguish or reward the best hunters in distinction to the other men in the tribe have virtually no homosexuality
(Those genes weren't in the mix, yet?)
yes because it is well known that homosexuals never hid their sexual preferences.

Biased sites, probably, but I have yet to see someone give be a link to a study that shows otherwise.
That shows what otherwise?
That there is MORE CURRENT research that indicates there is a gay gene?
That is merely because you chose to ignore them.

Besides which, everyone knows that biased and outdated research that ratifies your own preconceived notions is the most important type of research.

"Identical twins have identical genes. If homosexuality was a biological condition produced inescapably by the genes (e.g. eye color), then if one identical twin was homosexual, in 100% of the cases his brother would be too. But we know that only about 38% of the time is the identical twin brother homosexual. Genes are responsible for an indirect influence, but on average, they do not force people into homosexuality. This conclusion has been well known in the scientific community for a few decades but has not reached the general public. Indeed, the public increasingly believes the opposite." Whitehead
Study Seeks To Discover Genetic Origin Of Homosexuality

http://www.mygenes.co.nz/Ch12.pdf

Why do Identical twins have different personalities?
Why do identical twin have different likes and dislikes?
How then can one twin suffer from a genetic disorder and the other one not?

i can go on... But I think I'll leave it at that.

Francine

Statistically, the identical twin of a left-handed person has a 76 percent chance of being left-handed, identifying the cause(s) as partly genetic and partly environmental.

There's also a study that says the farther down the birth order one is, the more likely they will be gay. Presumably, this is because the genes "know" the older brothers have probably already made sure the family name is secure.

Smoke

Done here.
There's also a study that says the farther down the birth order one is, the more likely they will be gay. Presumably, this is because the genes "know" the older brothers have probably already made sure the family name is secure.
Specifically, the more sons a woman has, the more likely the younger ones are to be gay. The studies bear out what was already common folk knowledge, at least in the South. I've often heard "change of life baby" used as a euphemism for gay.