• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My side has its violent criminals too

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I'm a little confused why you include violent criminals on your side. Surely you'd be better of changing teams.
That was a little unclear. "My side" in this case are those who take science seriously and want to take care of their neighbors. The "other side" are those who ignore science and demand rights without responsibilities and put their wishes over the well-being of their neighbors

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
It bugs me no end when my side has people commit heinous crimes like this one. I've decried it when people on the right commit crimes and violence in the name of their beliefs. I have to do the same when the left is guilty of the same thing. Yes we can argue percentages but the basic fact is the violence in the name of politics is not respecter of ideology and that it's wrong no matter what justification is given.

A church battling coronavirus restrictions was destroyed in a fire that investigators believe was arson

In addition, investigators found graffiti on the lot that read, "Bet you stay home now you hypokrits [sic]
Is everything in America political? They could have been just random kids upset that the church was putting their grandparents at risk, for all we know.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Is everything in America political?

Honestly? It's looking that way. Offline, there's still a lot of socialization between sides, though. At least where I'm at. Seems the partisanship and politicalization is somewhat more in the media, and on the net, than it is offline ... so far. And I can only speak about my little corner of my own town.

They could have been just random kids upset that the church was putting their grandparents at risk, for all we know.

Good point, easy to forget in this climate.

Hope all is well with you and yours.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Is everything in America political? They could have been just random kids upset that the church was putting their grandparents at risk, for all we know.
A few years back, my town had a spate of vandalism targeting churches and cemeteries.

Turned out it was just bored small town kids trying to make life more exciting. Nothing religious or political or anything.

Can you imagine the possibility of even more bored kids as the C19 lockdown drags on?
I can.
Tom

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
That was a little unclear. "My side" in this case are those who take science seriously and want to take care of their neighbors. The "other side" are those who ignore science and demand rights without responsibilities and put their wishes over the well-being of their neighbors

I know what you meant, and sorry if I was unclear, but your post struck a nerve.

Surely a conservative who tries their hardest to understand issues, is willing to discuss them, and...importantly...is non violent would be more on 'your side' than a violent leftie extremist?

I was questioning how you think of 'your side'.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
A few years back, my town had a spate of vandalism targeting churches and cemeteries.

Turned out it was just bored small town kids trying to make life more exciting. Nothing religious or political or anything.

Can you imagine the possibility of even more bored kids as the C19 lockdown drags on?
I can.
Tom
Egads!!!
Actually since were talking about millennials (or “zoomers”) do we include the possibility of cyberattacks?

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Honestly? It's looking that way. Offline, there's still a lot of socialization between sides, though. At least where I'm at. Seems the partisanship and politicalization is somewhat more in the media, and on the net, than it is offline ... so far. And I can only speak about my little corner of my own town.
Well in these times more than ever I feel it is important to keep lines open.

Good point, easy to forget in this climate.

Hope all is well with you and yours.
Well I mean the graffiti did spell hypocrites with a “k” apparently. So unless the perpetrator purposely did so for some political messaging, I’m inclined to think this is just random vandalism done by bored or scared kids.
Darn punk kids, back in my day, our graffiti was spelled correctly except for artistic purposes of course.
Bring Shakespeare back to the curriculum and other out of the loop old people sayings.
*shakes fist angrily for no good reason*

We seem to do be doing okay. But we have something of a “trade war” with our barely exports (and imports?) to China right now. The Chinese government placed exceedingly high tariffs on them. Because insert political Mumbo jumbo here

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Well in these times more than ever I feel it is important to keep lines open.

I certainly agree you to some large extent, only I find it is relatively easy to face-to-face drink with a conservative friend of mine -- even while she and I are seriously butting heads about some political difference. The online equivalent seems to be much harder to pull off.

Well I mean the graffiti did spell hypocrites with a “k” apparently. So unless the perpetrator purposely did so for some political messaging, I’m inclined to think this is just random vandalism done by bored or scared kids.

Great point! I would not be surprised if this all panned out to prove you right about that.

Darn punk kids, back in my day, our graffiti was spelled correctly except for artistic purposes of course.
Bring Shakespeare back to the curriculum and other out of the loop old people sayings.
*shakes fist angrily for no good reason*

I hear you, my friend! Nothing appalls a person so much as improperly spelled vandalism. Shows a dangerous 'slacker attitude', if ask me.

And don't get me started in on the alarming lack of a proper education in the noble and esteemed discipline of logic these days! Why there's not one in one hundred of today's youth capable of creating a first order propositional calculus from scratch before breakfast these days. Back in my day, it was routine to do so, and we worked on our own cars, too!

We seem to do be doing okay. But we have something of a “trade war” with our barely exports (and imports?) to China right now. The Chinese government placed exceedingly high tariffs on them. Because insert political Mumbo jumbo here

Gads! The world's ever-chronic infestation of politicians is... mumble...mumble...WHAT'S NEXT, I ASK!...mumble..mumble..mumble...

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I certainly agree you to some large extent, only I find it is relatively easy to face-to-face drink with a conservative friend of mine -- even while she and I are seriously butting heads about some political difference. The online equivalent seems to be much harder to pull off.
I have an uncle who purposefully gets his guests drunk just to have a “mask off” heated political debates. It’s worked on me too. Infinitely more fun than the war zones known as “the internet.” *shudders*

Great point! I would not be surprised if this all panned out to prove you right about that.
Well I’m just saying maybe wait until the perps are caught before we jump to conclusions? If it is political, wouldn’t it make more sense to hear it come from the people who actually did the thing rather than speculating beforehand?

I hear you, my friend! Nothing appalls a person so much as improperly spelled vandalism. Shows a dangerous 'slacker attitude', if ask me.

Agreed. Darn kids and their “text speak.”
Grumble grumble technology is to blame grumble grumble

And don't get me started in on the alarming lack of a proper education in the noble and esteemed discipline of logic these days! Why there's not one in one hundred of today's youth capable of creating a first order propositional calculus from scratch before breakfast these days. Back in my day, it was routine to do so, and we worked on our own cars, too!
Such slackers. Tisk tisk

Gads! The world's ever-chronic infestation of politicians is... mumble...mumble...WHAT'S NEXT, I ASK!...mumble..mumble..mumble...
I hear you! What a world we live in. Sigh.