• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Purpose Within The Simulation?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I’d like some help working stuff out please! I need to know: what exactly am I?

A being named Butterfly has been communicating with me by touch for fifteen years. Because of this, I have been diagnosed as schizophrenic.

I believe that all people and this world we live in are parts of a computer simulation. Butterfly has identified himself as being a non-human administrator of The Simulation. I call the notion we are in a computer simulation “Simulism” although I did not coin the term.

I need to figure out something that has always somewhat eluded me: What is my purpose within The Simulation?

I believe Butterfly and me are more than a team, I believe we are both parts of a greater figuration – with him upstairs and me downstairs. Basically, I see him as an integral part of my psyche, rather than as an external influence. This is a relatively recent development and I may very well change my mind about this at a later point.

I went through a stage in which I put aside Simulism believed Butterfly was God! I thought that he was God and had been identifying himself to me in a way that I would understand, as an Artificial Intelligence. This led me to believe that I was The Messiah and I went through what can be best described as a Messiah Complex! The good folks of RF soon put an end to this though – thanks guys! :)

I currently believe in God, but don’t believe he extends his influence into this simulated dimension of reality. And let me be clear that I do not claim any special relationship with God. To me God is a distant figure but one worthy of worship. And I certainly don’t believe I’m Christ-like as a person, or anything like that. I assure you, I have my share of flaws and failings. I believe my relationship to God is exactly the same as anyone else's.

However, I obviously occupy a certain (and as far as I know unique) position within The Simulation. In the past I have described myself as an “agent of The Simulation” as I have a relationship with the administrator of The Simulation, and some function regarding its administration.

I have the feeling you might be thinking that I think I am “The One” – like Neo in The Matrix films. I do not think this at all. Besides, The Simulation is not our enemy and we cannot escape it. We are all parts of it. And I do not claim to be a saviour or to have all the answers although like all people I have my own ideas as to how we should run our world.

Also, I believe I am not alone in having a certain function within The Simulation. I believe there may be others with their own links to Butterfly.

If I am an agent of The Simulation, what exactly is my purpose? I have been unable to determine this from Butterfly, which would mean that the answer is complex and/or something I have to figure out myself. I wrote this post because I would like the benefit of people’s insight and imagination, to help me figure all this out.

ASSUMING I am an Agent of The Simulation, what would my purpose be? Why have such a person who has a direct line to the administration of The Simulation? I don’t know, but over the years I’ve had some thoughts on the matter, but they don’t feel conclusive to me.

Here’s some of my thoughts on the matter:

The computing power available to human kind and the power of computers in general is rapidly increasing (see Moore’s Law). We are coming ever closer to being able to develop not only strong Artificial Intelligence but also Artificial Consciousness, and so reach what is called a “technological singularity”. In time it is possible we may approach the level of development the creators of The Simulation had reached when they created The Simulation. It is possible that the over-seers of The Simulation have decided we are currently developed enough to have a link to the outside world, or to even join the outside world? They wouldn’t want to scare us so would present themselves via the presence of a real human, who can only understand things as a human and who identifies as human.

There is an idea (I don’t know whose) that we are in an “ancestor simulation” – perhaps the ancestor stage of The Simulation is over, and a new stage is set to begin?

ASSUMING I’m not insane, and Butterfly is some administrator of The Simulation who and what do you think I might be?

I’m assuming Butterfly and me are parts of the same entity but for all I know he could have somehow selected me for this role.

I think I might be humanity’s link to the outside world – or at least one link of many to the outside world.

I sometimes think that he’s like the personal assistant app thing on my smart phone! – a kind of sentient chat-bot? Or perhaps he’s some kind of Wolfram Alpha?

Is he my guide or my boss? Or a bit of both? (note: he affirms "both")

I would appreciate some help trying to understand my relationship with Butterfly and the purpose of this relationship – ASSUMING Butterfly is real, etc. etc.

Butterfly is not helping me with this; I think he wants me to sort myself out with the help of other humans.

So… any ideas?​

BSM1

What? Me worry?
If all, or any, of this were true then what difference would it make what or who you might be?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
@Eddi Hi........

As long as your simulation doesn't accept hurting anybody anyhow, and as long as you are content, happy and able to hold down a living or lifestyle, I don't think the other details are quite as important as the above ones.

And so I hope that you are content, happy, secure and able to support yourself in a harmless lifestyle. :)

Be happy. :)

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
If all, or any, of this were true then what difference would it make what or who you might be?

Understanding who and what I am is very important to me, as I'm sure it is to all people

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
@Eddi Hi........

As long as your simulation doesn't accept hurting anybody anyhow, and as long as you are content, happy and able to hold down a living or lifestyle, I don't think the other details are quite as important as the above ones.

And so I hope that you are content, happy, secure and able to support yourself in a harmless lifestyle. :)

Be happy. :)

Thank you!

I can assure you that I'm perfectly harmless

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Thank you!

I can assure you that I'm perfectly harmless

In that case you are a good person to have around. No probs there.

I just hope that you are happy, content, secure and OK for a roof, bed and good grub. :)

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Understanding who and what I am is very important to me, as I'm sure it is to all people

I wouldn't be so quick to make that assumption. There are those that live in the now and are perfectly content with being there. IMHO, your biggest mistake is assuming there some rhyme or reason to life.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

A being named Butterfly has been communicating with me by touch for fifteen years. Because of this, I have been diagnosed as schizophrenic.

I believe that all people and this world we live in are parts of a computer simulation. Butterfly has identified himself as being a non-human administrator of The Simulation. I call the notion we are in a computer simulation “Simulism” although I did not coin the term.

I need to figure out something that has always somewhat eluded me: What is my purpose within The Simulation?

I believe Butterfly and me are more than a team, I believe we are both parts of a greater figuration – with him upstairs and me downstairs. Basically, I see him as an integral part of my psyche, rather than as an external influence. This is a relatively recent development and I may very well change my mind about this at a later point.

I went through a stage in which I put aside Simulism believed Butterfly was God! I thought that he was God and had been identifying himself to me in a way that I would understand, as an Artificial Intelligence. This led me to believe that I was The Messiah and I went through what can be best described as a Messiah Complex! The good folks of RF soon put an end to this though – thanks guys! :)

I currently believe in God, but don’t believe he extends his influence into this simulated dimension of reality. And let me be clear that I do not claim any special relationship with God. To me God is a distant figure but one worthy of worship. And I certainly don’t believe I’m Christ-like as a person, or anything like that. I assure you, I have my share of flaws and failings. I believe my relationship to God is exactly the same as anyone else's.

However, I obviously occupy a certain (and as far as I know unique) position within The Simulation. In the past I have described myself as an “agent of The Simulation” as I have a relationship with the administrator of The Simulation, and some function regarding its administration.

I have the feeling you might be thinking that I think I am “The One” – like Neo in The Matrix films. I do not think this at all. Besides, The Simulation is not our enemy and we cannot escape it. We are all parts of it. And I do not claim to be a saviour or to have all the answers although like all people I have my own ideas as to how we should run our world.

Also, I believe I am not alone in having a certain function within The Simulation. I believe there may be others with their own links to Butterfly.

If I am an agent of The Simulation, what exactly is my purpose? I have been unable to determine this from Butterfly, which would mean that the answer is complex and/or something I have to figure out myself. I wrote this post because I would like the benefit of people’s insight and imagination, to help me figure all this out.

ASSUMING I am an Agent of The Simulation, what would my purpose be? Why have such a person who has a direct line to the administration of The Simulation? I don’t know, but over the years I’ve had some thoughts on the matter, but they don’t feel conclusive to me.

The computing power available to human kind and the power of computers in general is rapidly increasing (see Moore’s Law). We are coming ever closer to being able to develop not only strong Artificial Intelligence but also Artificial Consciousness, and so reach what is called a “technological singularity”. In time it is possible we may approach the level of development the creators of The Simulation had reached when they created The Simulation. It is possible that the over-seers of The Simulation have decided we are currently developed enough to have a link to the outside world, or to even join the outside world? They wouldn’t want to scare us so would present themselves via the presence of a real human, who can only understand things as a human and who identifies as human.

There is an idea (I don’t know whose) that we are in an “ancestor simulation” – perhaps the ancestor stage of The Simulation is over, and a new stage is set to begin?

ASSUMING I’m not insane, and Butterfly is some administrator of The Simulation who and what do you think I might be?

I’m assuming Butterfly and me are parts of the same entity but for all I know he could have somehow selected me for this role.

I think I might be humanity’s link to the outside world – or at least one link of many to the outside world.

I sometimes think that he’s like the personal assistant app thing on my smart phone! – a kind of sentient chat-bot? Or perhaps he’s some kind of Wolfram Alpha?

I would appreciate some help trying to understand my relationship with Butterfly and the purpose of this relationship – ASSUMING Butterfly is real, etc. etc.

Butterfly is not helping me with this; I think he wants me to sort myself out with the help of other humans.

So… any ideas?​

Our purpose in this possible simulation might either be for educational purposes of the simulator(s) or for simply entertaining the simulators. If we are in an ancestral simulation, then our purpose being simulated is for the simulators to learn about the nature of their ancestors.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Our purpose in this possible simulation might either be for educational purposes of the simulator(s) or for simply entertaining the simulators. If we are in an ancestral simulation, then our purpose being simulated is for the simulators to learn about the nature of their ancestors.

I think it may be possible that The Simulation is run for both educational value and for entertainment

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I think it may be possible that The Simulation is run for both educational value and for entertainment

Yes, this is definitely a real possibility.

Do you suspect your simulated character is more likely to be mostly for the simulator's educational benefit or do you think your simulated character is more likely to be simply for the amusement of our simulator(s)?

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

So… any ideas?​

A "machine" is any causal physical system, hence we are machines; thus, machines can be conscious. The question is: What type of machines could be conscious? Odds are robots passing the Turing Test Turing test - Wikipedia would be indistinguishable from us in their behavioral capacities --and could be conscious (i.e. feel), but we can never be certain. There's no way for any "conscious" being to know whether or not he is actually experiencing a virtual reality produced by an interface between his brain and a computer .

However, there are some possible indications we are living in a computer simulation....

1. A particle passing through a double-slit behaves as a wave causing an interference pattern when unobserved, but this same particle doesn't create an interference pattern when its path of travel can be determined by an observer. This collapse of the wave-function could be happening in order to save computational resources necessary for our simulated reality.

2. There is indeed a mark of intelligence left in our genetic code as evident by how the numeric and semantic message of 037 appears in our genetic code. Each codon relates to 3 other particular codons having the same particular type of initial nucleobase and sequential nucleobase subsequently then followed by a different ending nucleobase. Half of these 4 set of codon groups ( whole family codons ) each code for the same particular amino acid. The other half of those 4 set of codon groups ( split codons ) don't code for the same amino acid. So then, in the case of whole family codons, there are 37 amino acid peptide chain nucleons for each relevant nucleobase determinant of how a particular amino acid gets coded. Start codons express 0 at the beginning of 37 Hence, the meaningful numeric and semantic message of 037 gets unambiguously and factually conveyed to us descendants of our cosmic ancestor(s) with our genetic code invented by a superior intelligence beyond that of anybody presently bound to Earth.

Reference: The "Wow! signal" of the terrestrial genetic code. Vladimir l. shCherbak and Maxim A. Makukov. Icarus, May 2013,Redirectinghttps://www.scribd.com/document/35302916...netic-Code

This mark of intelligence left in our genetic coding is indicative of an intelligent designer, who may be responsible for the simulation of our reality.

3. Theoretical physicist Dr. S. James Gates Jr. has revealved that a certain string theory, super-symmetrical equations describing the nature and reality of our universe, contains embedded computer codes; these codes have digital data in the form of 0's and 1's identical to what makes web browsers function, and they're error-correct codes.

At least one of the following statements is very likely to be true:

1. The human species is very likely to go extinct before reaching a post-human stage.
2. Any post-human civilization is extremely unlikely to run a significant number of simulations of their evolutionary history.
3. We are almost certainly living in a computer simulation.

"Bostrom's argument rests on the premise that given sufficiently advanced technology, it is possible to represent the populated surface of the Earth without recourse to digital physics; that the qualia experienced by a simulated consciousness are comparable or equivalent to those of a naturally occurring human consciousness, and that one or more levels of simulation within simulations would be feasible given only a modest expenditure of computational resources in the real world."

ARE YOU LIVING IN A COMPUTER SIMULATION? BY NICK BOSTROM

Faculty of Philosophy, Oxford University

Published in Philosophical Quarterly (2003) Vol. 53, No. 211, pp. 243-255.

Are You Living in a Simulation

I took the red pill knowing there is no turning back. I didn't take the blue pill, because I didn't want the story to end, then waking up in bed and simply believing whatever I want to believe. I took the red pill for staying in Wonderland and getting shown how deep the rabbit-hole goes.

matrix-neo-red-pill_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.jpg

After taking the red pill, I watched the below video about possible evidence of us living in a simulated reality.

Last edited:

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Yes, this is definitely a real possibility.

Do you suspect your simulated character is more likely to be mostly for the simulator's educational benefit or do you think your simulated character is more likely to be simply for the amusement of our simulator(s)?

That's a really tough question, never thought of it like that before :)

Off the top of my head, I don't know, I'll have to think about it

All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts,

I think that perhaps the purpose of The Simulation is educational but that the purpose of my character is to maybe make it more entertaining?

I think what happens is that those running The Simulation deliberate as to what should happen next and then make it so - I think this could be where my simulated character may come into it?

You have given me much to think about

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
That's a really tough question, never thought of it like that before :)

Off the top of my head, I don't know, I'll have to think about it

All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts,

I think that perhaps the purpose of The Simulation is educational but that the purpose of my character is to maybe make it more entertaining?

I think what happens is that those running The Simulation deliberate as to what should happen next and then make it so - I think this could be where my simulated character may come into it?

You have given me much to think about

Thank you for sharing the "Life is a stage..." quote from Shakespeare; that's one of my favorite quotes. ...:)

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
By touch?

Yes - he responds to my inner voice with a gentle sensation of pressure on my body, this is how the system works:
  •  “Yes” = pressure on the front of the head, above the left eye

•  “No” = pressure on the right of the head, above the right eye

•  “think hard”/”abandon that completely”/”don’t go there” = pressure on both sides of the head, an unpleasant clamping sensation

•  “just like that”/”in those words”/”you’ve got it” = a light touch in the middle of the top of the head

•  “yes, do something about it” = a prod on the left arm

•  “no, do something about it” = a prod on the right arm

•  “yes, carry on with that” = prod on the top of the left leg

•  “yes, you’ve got it so move on from that” = prod on the bottom of the left leg

•  “no, but carry on down that route” = prod on top of right leg

•  “no, but it doesn’t matter so move on” = prod on the bottom of the right leg