• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My problem with meditation

Fluffy

A fool
I have long been interested in meditation due to its advocated impact on various aspects of the personality (for example helping to alleviate stress). As such my interest in it is purely of a practical nature.

This is not to say that I am not interested in the religious traditions that surround various forms of meditation but since I do not really accept the existence of things like the soul or the spiritual world, I find it very difficult to access meditation when concepts such as these are used. As an example, one site I looked at gave detailed instructions for a "meditation technique" and then stated that after practice I would "feel my soul leave my body". However, since I am essentially secular with regards to meditation and so items like this put me off trying meditation for myself.

What precisely are the physical benefits of meditation? Is it really necessary to practice meditation in the context of a particular religious tradition or does it stand up just as well when used purely as a tool without any inherent "meaning" if you like?

Are there any good non-religious meditation sites/books suitable for beginners?

cardero

Citizen Mod
They do make an IDIOT's guide and a Meditation For Dummies book and these books are very practical and encouraging to the beginning meditator. I had the same concerns about meditation as you but the most important thing to remember about meditation, is that it is FOR YOU! Essentially a disciplined daily schedule of 30 minutes in stillness is "me time", it is for you, so you can do what ever you want in the time. It is not a "time out" and you should not feel awkward or ashamed in that time. I would simply use the beginning time to reflect and relax and let anything and everything come to you and then see where you would like to take meditation after that (for example visualization, healing techniques, psychic development). And remember that there really is no incorrect way to do it. Walking, exercising, drawing, eating are all forms of meditation. I would also suggest keeping a small journal in the beginning to jot down what you feel and to describe any progress or suggestions. Good luck and stay focused.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fluffy said:
I have long been interested in meditation due to its advocated impact on various aspects of the personality (for example helping to alleviate stress). As such my interest in it is purely of a practical nature.

This is not to say that I am not interested in the religious traditions that surround various forms of meditation but since I do not really accept the existence of things like the soul or the spiritual world, I find it very difficult to access meditation when concepts such as these are used. As an example, one site I looked at gave detailed instructions for a "meditation technique" and then stated that after practice I would "feel my soul leave my body". However, since I am essentially secular with regards to meditation and so items like this put me off trying meditation for myself.

What precisely are the physical benefits of meditation? Is it really necessary to practice meditation in the context of a particular religious tradition or does it stand up just as well when used purely as a tool without any inherent "meaning" if you like?

You can do totally religion-free meditation; it is really just an attempt to 'listen to your real self'.......I have ideal excercises for something similar to that (in a book to help overcome anxiety and depression), I could give you the Name of the book and the author, if you want it. If not, I can let you know of a couple of basic techniques.

bigvindaloo

Fluffy said:

You need to use meditation as a "tool" as you put it. Practicing in a particular religous tradition makes meditation a sectarian practice, and probably not acceptable to all as you note. Take a Vipassana meditation course in order to learn how to use this invaluable tool properly. Vipassana as taught by S.N. Goenka should suit your needs.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
As I have been an avid practitioner of TM for over 30 years, I would heartily recommend it. It fit me nicely, mainly because it is non-devotional and "billed" as a tool. In all honesty, Maharishi's other tidbits have never been of much interest to me. His meditation ROCKS, however. When I signed up it was about $120 Canadian. I have no idea what the current rates are.

I don't want to throw cold water on the others suggestions but I have never been a fan of the "do it yourself" approach. There is no way to check if you are doing it correctly, sort of like learning to play the guitar without lessons. Although you are welcome to do as you please, of course, I certainly would not advise it. Like with quitar lessons, if you want to actually get results... get proper training.

Honest FluffMeister, it is the best investment I have ever made and you would NEVER regret it. Then again.... you might end up like me.... :eek: :thud:

:D

Fluffy

A fool
cardero said:
They do make an IDIOT's guide and a Meditation For Dummies book and these books are very practical and encouraging to the beginning meditator. I had the same concerns about meditation as you but the most important thing to remember about meditation, is that it is FOR YOU! Essentially a disciplined daily schedule of 30 minutes in stillness is "me time", it is for you, so you can do what ever you want in the time. It is not a "time out" and you should not feel awkward or ashamed in that time. I would simply use the beginning time to reflect and relax and let anything and everything come to you and then see where you would like to take meditation after that (for example visualization, healing techniques, psychic development). And remember that there really is no incorrect way to do it. Walking, exercising, drawing, eating are all forms of meditation. I would also suggest keeping a small journal in the beginning to jot down what you feel and to describe any progress or suggestions. Good luck and stay focused.
Heya carbero,
Excellent! I love those books so I'll definitely check the one on meditation out. And thanks for the idea about keeping a journal, that might be very useful indeed.

michel said:
You can do totally religion-free meditation; it is really just an attempt to 'listen to your real self'.......I have ideal excercises for something similar to that (in a book to help overcome anxiety and depression), I could give you the Name of the book and the author, if you want it. If not, I can let you know of a couple of basic techniques.
Heya Michel,
I would love it if you could give me the name of the book since it sounds exactly the sort of thing I'm after. Don't worry about going through any techniques with me if they are in the book but if not then I'll not refuse some pointers :).

bigvindaloo said:
You need to use meditation as a "tool" as you put it. Practicing in a particular religous tradition makes meditation a sectarian practice, and probably not acceptable to all as you note. Take a Vipassana meditation course in order to learn how to use this invaluable tool properly. Vipassana as taught by S.N. Goenka should suit your needs.
Heya bigvindaloo,
Thanks for the name, I've never heard of it before. I'll certainly check it out.

YmirGF said:
I don't want to throw cold water on the others suggestions but I have never been a fan of the "do it yourself" approach. There is no way to check if you are doing it correctly, sort of like learning to play the guitar without lessons. Although you are welcome to do as you please, of course, I certainly would not advise it. Like with quitar lessons, if you want to actually get results... get proper training.
Heya YmirGF,
I think you are almost certainly right actually *remembers his failed attempt to teach himself how to play the guitar*. Unfortunately a lack of money and my general antisocialness make this an impossibility at the moment. When I'm not a student and don't feel a regular need to attack other people I will probably give it a try, however.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Fluffy said:
Heya YmirGF,
I think you are almost certainly right actually *remembers his failed attempt to teach himself how to play the guitar*. Unfortunately a lack of money and my general antisocialness make this an impossibility at the moment. When I'm not a student and don't feel a regular need to attack other people I will probably give it a try, however.

I understand Fluffy. Heck if you were here I could just empart how to do it LOL. It is somewhat difficult to do properly over the internet.

You know... together... the bunch of us could probably write an excellent "RF Medtiation Method". I know I am certainly qualified, but it would be interesting to get several people's input.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend,
First understand what is meditation:
As per wikipedia it is a state that is experienced when the mind dissolves and is free of all thoughts.
It is directly achieved by watching the mind directly and stilling it or by watching thoses thoughts which slowly will quieten.
HOWEVER
since you may not be able to do so at first go on your own then you may join any class who have proven records and standing and get the hang of it.
For better understanding join few differnt ones to know the differnt methods and then see what suits your temperament best to practise and do so.
Love & rgds

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend,
First understand what is meditation:
As per wikipedia it is a state that is experienced when the mind dissolves and is free of all thoughts.
It is directly achieved by watching the mind directly and stilling it or by watching thoses thoughts which slowly will quieten.
HOWEVER
since you may not be able to do so at first go on your own then you may join any class who have proven records and standing and get the hang of it.
For better understanding join few differnt ones to know the differnt methods and then see what suits your temperament best to practise and do so.
Love & rgds