• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Personal Journey

I'm making this thread because I can't figure out how to reply to anything else. :p

Hello, I'm Confucian Mormon Buddhist. In reality, though, I'm sort of a practicing Deist, or a Far Right Unitarian Universalist. I'm a college student in Appalachia studying Economics and History, and I guess I'll let you know a bit about myself through my religious journey.

I was raised in a backslidden Protestant home. My parents are kind of the cynical type of Christians who do claim belief in God and the Bible but are rather lax about interpretation of it. I wasn't raised going to church, but I did, for a while, "follow" an Old Earth Creationist form of evangelical Protestantism. Without church, though, my understanding of Christianity was horribly warped, and I generally saw God as being a sort of evil figure who'd send you to Hell for the slightest transgression. By halfway through high school (if my memory serves me right), I'd moved on to being an agnostic.

I had a fascination with Mormonism, though, and when I went to college I decided to join the Mormon Church. I didn't really believe in its teachings, but I had the utmost respect for Mormon culture and thought it would be good to help further it. Once I did get involved, I got sucked in rapidly... I was very shy and basically wasn't making any friends on campus, so my social life was based around meeting with the (female) missionaries. I also fell into depression (due to usual freshman anxieties and my obsession with finding love). I don't have any good conversion story; it's just that one night, when I wanted to kill myself, I had a strong feeling of what felt like God looking down on me in sympathy. After that I "converted" in my heart, and I generally felt content, although I wasn't necessarily the best about going to every service and I cherry-picked the rules I wanted to follow.

As you might guess, my faith was paper-thin. A girl at the church broke my heart (took my virginity, then got engaged three weeks later) and I felt rejected by the other college students there, so I left the congregation, thinking I'd either commute to another ward or practice my faith on my own. As it happened, though, I had a Religious Studies course, and it required me to go to another denominations' service. I picked the Pentecostals (due to their flashiness).

I ended up attending a small storefront church which REALLY impressed me. The pastor was a brilliant speaker, and the music was much better. Most of all, I felt like the Holy Spirit was actually there. This led to me slowly abandoning my Mormonism. I felt that if the Holy Spirit was so strong there, they must be okay in spite of their heresy, and between my bitterness towards the Mormons and the general surge of spirituality I was feeling there, I pushed away from Mormonism and towards Christianity.

It wasn't meant to be, though. I did get somewhat involved in the church. I'd go for anywhere from five to nine hours a week... this was a very hard congregation, with two hour sermons and an expectation that you attend everything. I saw my life and mood improving and believed it was God showing favor for my attendance. I came to be bothered by a lot of little things, though, and generally felt like I wasn't part of their community. I found the pastor intimidating to approach and sort of felt like he didn't care about the new members, just his old flock, and while I had one good friend I made in the congregation, I didn't feel that engaged by their college students either (though they were a heck of a lot better than the Mormons). So, my interest slowly died until I left them, not with a broken heart so much as just with a bit of resentment.

I tried to use a fraternity to fill the hole in my heart, but I quickly realized that it was nothing but a glorified drinking club. I did fall in with some Baptists (neighbor invited me), but they didn't leave much of an impression. And then I came to find that I just didn't care about organized religion anymore, but I still felt spiritual. I didn't believe the literal truth or much of the doctrine of Mormonism or Christianity, but I loved church and I still felt compelled to pray.

So, I'm a "practicing deist." I still love Mormon doctrine (although I don't believe it's true), and I have a strong appreciation for (what I understand of) Confucianism and Buddhism. But as far as my true beliefs go, I'm basically a deist who regards God as being sort of woven into the universe, and I think of God as preferring for people to participate in the religion of their culture (that religion is meant to be social, not solitary, in nature). To me, though, that's hard, as the only community for people like that is the Unitarian Universalists, and I don't care for their political agenda.

That's pretty much the sum of it.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Welcome to RF and may the journey take you somewhere worthwhile. I have never met a Confucian Mormon Buddhist
It sounds confusing. :confused:
There are only two roads according to the Bible.....I hope you find the right one. (Matthew 7:13-14) :)

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I'm making this thread because I can't figure out how to reply to anything else. :p

Hello, I'm Confucian Mormon Buddhist. In reality, though, I'm sort of a practicing Deist, or a Far Right Unitarian Universalist. I'm a college student in Appalachia studying Economics and History, and I guess I'll let you know a bit about myself through my religious journey.

Welcome from an Agnostic Christian Taoist.;) I just use the label to give people an idea of my beliefs. It still doesn't really define me and my strength of each changes day to day.

Kirran

Premium Member
Welcome to RF :) You've had a good journey so far it seems!

I hope you can find God inside yourself. That's a great place to search for Him, I have found ;)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Greetings!

Such an interesting background requires a feast......
feast-2.jpg

...with extra....
th

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I was raised in a Catholic turned Baptist household. I took a defensive approach to conforming pressures. my mother and I are the only ones who didn't convert. but I know the church indoctrination methods very well. truth be told I never bought into the Jesus thing. they'd guilt me to death so I played along to avoid offense.

It's a hard trap to avoid and after awhile you start thinking in Christian terms.

so I developed my own spirituality since then. nice,clean and simple.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
At least half of that food was healthy Revoltingest.....I was buoyed there for a second....and then you had to go and add.....

:facepalm: Oh dear. You need to get back to the BA meetings.....:p
But I do!
I supply the complimentary bacon.

Welcome to RF and may the journey take you somewhere worthwhile. I have never met a Confucian Mormon Buddhist
It sounds confusing. :confused:
There are only two roads according to the Bible.....I hope you find the right one. (Matthew 7:13-14) :)

Thank you.

I don't have a deep knowledge of Buddhism, but aside from its atheism, I've liked everything I've heard about it and it generally seems reconcilable with Christianity. Basically, I like the Buddhist philosophy.

I know even less about Confucianism, but I understand it to be an honor and tradition based system focused on social harmony, which I like.

In fact, that's one problem I do have with Mormonism. It is explicitly democratic, whereas I have a lot more sympathy for absolutism and the Mandate of Heaven.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
In fact, that's one problem I do have with Mormonism. It is explicitly democratic, whereas I have a lot more sympathy for absolutism and the Mandate of Heaven.
Hey, CMB! I hope you don't think I'm stalking you or anything, 'cause I'm really not. :p It's just that I've been a Mormon for 68 years and some of the things you say about the religion (like this comment), make me go "Huh?" So if you could just explain what you mean by "explicitly democratic" as opposed to "absolute," I'd appreciate it. I actually see it in quite the opposite terms.

Hey, CMB! I hope you don't think I'm stalking you or anything, 'cause I'm really not. :p It's just that I've been a Mormon for 68 years and some of the things you say about the religion (like this comment), make me go "Huh?" So if you could just explain what you mean by "explicitly democratic" as opposed to "absolute," I'd appreciate it. I actually see it in quite the opposite terms.

Sure. And some of my understanding of Mormonism may be wrong, or just have a very different perspective. I was only with the Church for two semesters, and before that, I taught myself basic doctrine and history but didn't really study the theology.

By explicitly democratic, I mean that the Book of Mormon supports democracy in government, at least in America. There's a passage, I think in 2 Nephi, where a prophecy says that American democracy will be a blessing for the Americans? And I've heard that the U.S. Constitution is supposed to be divinely inspired?

I don't really have a rational argument in favor of absolutism, and I've been shifting away from it, but I kind of distrust democracy and constitutionalism. I think of absolutism as being more natural and conservative.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Sure. And some of my understanding of Mormonism may be wrong, or just have a very different perspective. I was only with the Church for two semesters, and before that, I taught myself basic doctrine and history but didn't really study the theology.

By explicitly democratic, I mean that the Book of Mormon supports democracy in government, at least in America. There's a passage, I think in 2 Nephi, where a prophecy says that American democracy will be a blessing for the Americans? And I've heard that the U.S. Constitution is supposed to be divinely inspired?

I don't really have a rational argument in favor of absolutism, and I've been shifting away from it, but I kind of distrust democracy and constitutionalism. I think of absolutism as being more natural and conservative.
Okay, thanks for clarifying what you means. I didn't realize you were talking about politics when you used the word "democracy." Makes sense now.