• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My own journal

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
I will use this journal for various purposes.

One of the purposes is to practice English and maybe manage to learn English fluently? I'm not going to cheat with google translate. Google translate is forbidden here

Viker

Häxan
Google translate is only good for single words, anyway. It doesn't always factor in grammar and syntax. Just keep practicing here. Heck, I will have you doing English like a Southern girl. :p

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
You might enjoy this series "The Story of English" which goes into differences in how English is used in England, Scotland, Australia, USA etc. Books and Films - The Story of English (PBS documentary presented by Robert MacNeil)

Just one example. In India I would here that someone was going to "dilate" rather than "expand" on a topic. Dilate to me is a medical term. Another was "they put the wrong question to you" rather than "they asked you the wrong question"

So don't be overly concerned about "proper" English because that does not really exist.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Also not the UK. The English are the worst English speakers.

Very true. I heard this second or third hand. The only place in the UK where they speak proper kings English (if such a monstrosity exists) is a small town on the west cost of Scotland. I think it was Largs, when I went there i couldn't understand a word spoken.