• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My New Knee

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Thanks, no I'll not do anything daft. Mrs Altfish is ensuring that doesn't happen

I am sure she has you right where she wants you. Make the most of it, she'll have you doing the chores before you know it

Altfish

Veteran Member
Only a week ago now I was coming round in the recovery room in hospital. now I'm on the way to walking unaided.
We changed the dressing for the first time today; the wound is long bu quite thin; it is a dis-solvable stapled wound which has then been covered by a waterproof medical glue. The thin (about 40mm} waterproof dressing then goes over it all - he dressing is 300mm long.

The bruising is getting worse before it gets better, I'm black and blue on the back of my knee - I can't really see it but my wife took a photo...
The other thing that's causing some issues is sleeping in bed; I just can't get comfortable.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Only a week ago now I was coming round in the recovery room in hospital. now I'm on the way to walking unaided.
We changed the dressing for the first time today; the wound is long bu quite thin; it is a dis-solvable stapled wound which has then been covered by a waterproof medical glue. The thin (about 40mm} waterproof dressing then goes over it all - he dressing is 300mm long.

The bruising is getting worse before it gets better, I'm black and blue on the back of my knee - I can't really see it but my wife took a photo...
The other thing that's causing some issues is sleeping in bed; I just can't get comfortable.

Not sure if will help, as I don't know exactly what you're feeling, but I struggle myself with my knee to find a tolerable position so I can sleep. Usually I can position a pillow in a way that positions my knee in such a way to relieve the pressure on the area causing me pain, sort of bending it a bit laterally to take pressure of the medial meniscus (or what's left of it).

Hopefully the pillows can help elevate your leg or reposition it to make you more comfortable.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Not sure if will help, as I don't know exactly what you're feeling, but I struggle myself with my knee to find a tolerable position so I can sleep. Usually I can position a pillow in a way that positions my knee in such a way to relieve the pressure on the area causing me pain, sort of bending it a bit laterally to take pressure of the medial meniscus (or what's left of it).

Hopefully the pillows can help elevate your leg or reposition it to make you more comfortable.
Thanks, I have tried pillows but that was days 1 and 2, I'm over a week in now so maybe worth revisiting. Half my problem is that I do toss and turn a lot in my sleep

ChristineM

Premium Member
Thanks, I have tried pillows but that was days 1 and 2, I'm over a week in now so maybe worth revisiting. Half my problem is that I do toss and turn a lot in my sleep

Good cure for tossing and turning is 1/4 bottle of scotch before bed. Not sure how it would react to your pain meds so ask you doctor first :rolleyes:

ChristineM

Premium Member
If only but all the tablets I'm on say "No alcohol" ... if only [sigh]

Another alternative is ask the wife to tie you securely to the bed but don't forget the stop word... Hmmm perhaps that would be better on the Eros forum

Altfish

Veteran Member
It is now 16-days since the operation.
Dressing is off, scar looks very tidy - although about 10" long (How else could you get a new knee in!)
Physio visits are going well, she measures the angle of straightening and bending my knee - both heading in right direction. She had me on an exercise bike yesterday, that hurt!
Cutting the pain killers down on my own volition, seems to be ok, I hope to reduce them again next week. Took the last of my anti-DVT pills this morning.

So going as well as can be expected but still a way to go.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Well knee 1 is 95% recovered, it is certainly the strongest of my legs now. Physio finished and signed off.

Knee 2 - is planned for 25th March

I'm looking forward to May - should be well on the way to recovery by then.
Strongest? How many legs have you got? :eek:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Well knee 1 is 95% recovered, it is certainly the strongest of my legs now. Physio finished and signed off.

Knee 2 - is planned for 25th March

I'm looking forward to May - should be well on the way to recovery by then.
Let us know when you can run 60 miles an hour. ;O]

Until then, best wishes for a full recovery coupled with a lively spring in your step once you're healed up.