• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My New Knee

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Congratulations on your new lease on life! It will make a huge difference to your quality of life.

My neighbor has had both of his done and he is now jogging the 6 miles to the ferry!
(I run the car into him as I pass to help keep his reflexes sharp!)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Thanks. I just have to get the left knee done in about 3-months then I'll be running marathons!!
You can do it. BTW: I wasn't kidding about my neighbor jogging to the ferry. He is amazing and about 63 years old.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Will you be staying in hospital or in another place such as a hospice? After his knee replacement my dad was in the hospital for a few days and then moved to a hospice for a couple of weeks. The food was not as good at the hospice. Let us know how the food is.
Well I certainly hope it is not a hospice (aren't they where you go when you are dying?). The plan is that I'm in for 3-nights and the go home. The key criteria is that I can climb stairs aided by crutches, if I can do that they'll chuck me out. I'm less than 24-hours after the op and I've been into the corridor; I'm getting on/off bed and chairs and the toilet.
Tomorrow is washing and using the shower.

Altfish

Veteran Member
My husband has been undecided for the last few years, afraid of making matters worse. He is 82 but generally in good health. He use to walk 5 or more miles a day with the dog, one of his greatest pleasures, and for the last couple of years has been unable to.
I'm 20 years younger, so it was either get it done or be in a wheelchair.
If he's fit enough go for it.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I truly hope all goes well.

My knee replacement did not.

The day after surgery my blood pressure dropped to zero, and the angel of death almost snatched me. I had kidney failure and bone marrow suppression. 11 days in !CU, 31 total in the hospital.

7 months later, the knee became infected, another surgery, another bout of hideous complications, another 35 days in the hospital.

Luckily, 99% of knee replacements go just fine, I was in the sad 1% I will crawl before I will have the other knee done.,

Have fun with the physical therapists, they are all nazi's, for your benefit.
Oh dear, that's awful.
I agree about the physios, they don't half bully me; I jokingly called one a bast*rd when she was getting me to get off the bed unaided.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm 20 years younger, so it was either get it done or be in a wheelchair.
If he's fit enough go for it.
There is another option.
You might not like it.
Back when I worked on a sagittal saw for Black & Decker, we
considered the case of a dancer (ballet) with a bad knee.
I don't recall why, but she opted to have her knee fused.
While dancing, she looked normal (to my dancing ignorant eyes).
But when she sat down in a chair....Boing! Out stuck that one
straight leg.
I think your choice was best.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Today's update.
Had a much better sleep last night, I've managed to have a shower, so feel refreshed.
They are going to reduce my painkilling medication - see how that goes.
Originally I was due to go home tomorrow but with having a very late operation on day one, it could drift back a day.

Cheers

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Today's update.
Had a much better sleep last night, I've managed to have a shower, so feel refreshed.
They are going to reduce my painkilling medication - see how that goes.
Originally I was due to go home tomorrow but with having a very late operation on day one, it could drift back a day.

Cheers
A cousin-in-law is an anesthesiologist, & says that preventing pain enhances healing.
He pays particular attention to this. Woo hoo for drugs!

Altfish

Veteran Member
Just been signed off - I can go home tomorrow morning. I've walked up and down proper stairs and will have a few physio visits in about a weeks time.
I'm going home with dressings and drugs! Oh, and an ice bucket.

Daemon Sophic

Best of luck @Altfish , and I hope you have a speedy recovery. As you and others have said, make sure you follow through with Physical Therapy (PT) and do all of the exercises they give you.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Orthopedic surgery is an area to pay particular attention to avoiding infection.
The little nasties like to hide in/around bone cells, & then they come out later
to party. The risk isn't great, but it's there in a big way.
A guy I once worked with discovered that he had such an infection when he
was unable to crawl from the sofa to the TV. (It was in the days when you had
to actually change the channel right on the idiot box itself.) Back surgery sux.

Glad you survived the near-worst case scenario.
Now for belated....
Flower-Vase-19.jpg
If it's legal to quote my own post.....

Infection after orthopedic surgery is in the news....
Reports: Alex Smith dealing with post-op infection in leg