• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My New Knee

Altfish

Veteran Member
Morning all, I'm posting this from my hospital bed.
Yesterday my right leg became bionic, I had a full knee replacement.
I've been struggling walking for a while and had "End state arthritis and no cartilage", so I'm walking bone on bone.

Jumi

Hope you have a swift recovery and get back home soon. Meanwhile, let's hope there's an interesting discussion or two on RF to keep you occupied. ;)

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
I've been struggling walking for a while and had "End state arthritis and no cartilage", so I'm walking bone on bone.
My wife had her's done about 2 years ago. Based on her experience and everyone else I ever worked with clinically who had one, the first couple of days will be extremely painful and unpleasant, but after that, you will be telling anyone who will listen that you wish you'd done it years ago.

I wish you a speedy recovery, and the very best advice I can give you, do the exercises the physiotherapists set you as diligently as possible. The more appropriate exercise you give it, the better and faster you will heal. It will be hard work, but it pays long term dividends.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

I'd be interested in updates on how you're feeling post-op. I'm going to be a candidate for this in the near future, but I'm hesitant.

exchemist

Veteran Member
"Gentlemen,we can rebuild him........ better than he was before." :-

Altfish

Veteran Member
I'd be interested in updates on how you're feeling post-op. I'm going to be a candidate for this in the near future, but I'm hesitant.
Will do. I can understand the hesitancy, I too kept putting it off but I've been unable to walk far recently so if I want any quality of life, i had to have them done. I come back in about 3 to 4 months for the second one.
It's the day after my operation and I've had my first physio; it hurts but I know the first two weeks are the key ones so stretching and moving the knee is essential.
My surgeon believes in ice packs, which I have on now; some use a surgical sock.
I'm told today and tomorrow are the worst days pain wise.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
My wife had her's done about 2 years ago. Based on her experience and everyone else I ever worked with clinically who had one, the first couple of days will be extremely painful and unpleasant, but after that, you will be telling anyone who will listen that you wish you'd done it years ago.

Stop hesitating.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Get well soon and hope to see you running marathons soon. Or at least taking walks without pain.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Will you be staying in hospital or in another place such as a hospice? After his knee replacement my dad was in the hospital for a few days and then moved to a hospice for a couple of weeks. The food was not as good at the hospice. Let us know how the food is.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
That's wonderful for you Alt. I'm glad science can do such things :)

pearl

My husband has been undecided for the last few years, afraid of making matters worse. He is 82 but generally in good health. He use to walk 5 or more miles a day with the dog, one of his greatest pleasures, and for the last couple of years has been unable to.

shmogie

I truly hope all goes well.

My knee replacement did not.

The day after surgery my blood pressure dropped to zero, and the angel of death almost snatched me. I had kidney failure and bone marrow suppression. 11 days in !CU, 31 total in the hospital.

7 months later, the knee became infected, another surgery, another bout of hideous complications, another 35 days in the hospital.

Luckily, 99% of knee replacements go just fine, I was in the sad 1% I will crawl before I will have the other knee done.,

Have fun with the physical therapists, they are all nazi's, for your benefit.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I truly hope all goes well.

My knee replacement did not.

The day after surgery my blood pressure dropped to zero, and the angel of death almost snatched me. I had kidney failure and bone marrow suppression. 11 days in !CU, 31 total in the hospital.

7 months later, the knee became infected, another surgery, another bout of hideous complications, another 35 days in the hospital.

Luckily, 99% of knee replacements go just fine, I was in the sad 1% I will crawl before I will have the other knee done.,

Have fun with the physical therapists, they are all nazi's, for your benefit.
Orthopedic surgery is an area to pay particular attention to avoiding infection.
The little nasties like to hide in/around bone cells, & then they come out later
to party. The risk isn't great, but it's there in a big way.
A guy I once worked with discovered that he had such an infection when he
was unable to crawl from the sofa to the TV. (It was in the days when you had
to actually change the channel right on the idiot box itself.) Back surgery sux.

Glad you survived the near-worst case scenario.
Now for belated....
Flower-Vase-19.jpg