• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My New Jewish Stove

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I just got a new Jenn-air oven. I didn't realize it when I bought it, but it's a Jewish oven! I was messing around with the settings, and there is one called "Sabbath." It wasn't called "Delay Cook" or "Pre-set" or anything like that. It was called "Sabbath." That's got to be a marketing thing to appeal to people who are Orthodox Jews. It overrides the automatic shut-off so that you can set your stove to cook your Sabbath meal without your having to work on the Sabbath and without worrying that it will shut off automatically after a certain number of hours and mess up your dinner. Is that cool or what?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That's awesome! :D

Does it have a "delay cook" option as well, or only "Sabbath"?

I've heard of different interpretations of the rules of the Sabbath that might affect electrical appliances. AFAIK (though I'm open to being corrected), Jewish authorities have tried to apply these rules to modern technology, so apparently one common position is that switching an electric circuit from fully "off" to fully "on" on the Sabbath is like building and lighting a fire (and therefore not allowed), but taking an electric circuit from very low voltage to fully "on" is like tending a fire (and therefore allowed).

You might want to read your manual; it could be that if you have a "delay" option along with your "Sabbath" option, the "Sabbath" option may use a bit more power.

Still... it's neat that you have a Jewish oven! :D

Deut 13:1

I just got a new Jenn-air oven. I didn't realize it when I bought it, but it's a Jewish oven! I was messing around with the settings, and there is one called "Sabbath." It wasn't called "Delay Cook" or "Pre-set" or anything like that. It was called "Sabbath." That's got to be a marketing thing to appeal to people who are Orthodox Jews. It overrides the automatic shut-off so that you can set your stove to cook your Sabbath meal without your having to work on the Sabbath and without worrying that it will shut off automatically after a certain number of hours and mess up your dinner. Is that cool or what?

Pretty cool :) For the Shabbas setting it should also deactive any lights within the oven.

Something interesting about the Shabbas oven's is that some debate weather or not its kosher because when you open the oven, you're releasing an amount of heat into the room and then when you close the oven, the oven needs to raise its temperature again. So while you are not adjusting the settings, because of your actions - the oven is forced to do more work. The same is applied to your A/C or Heating unit, when the oven is open or closed, it causes the A/C or Heating unit to work harder then normal. It's a minority opinion, but it really gives meaning to the old saying about two Jews being in a room and having three different opinions. :)

I have one of the ovens myself, although mine is a older model, mine stays on for the 26 hours straight with no override system. Pretty cool though, Katzpur, You'll have to experient with it and let me know if its worth the upgrade. :)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
LOL! I'm sorry, but this just strikes me so funny. Here I've been posting on all kinds of religious threads and haven't gotten any frubals for the longest time. I've been wondering why all my wonderful spiritual insights have been ignored when I used to consistently get frubals from somebody every time I posted. Now I start a thread about my new oven and get frubals from three people almost immediately! I've got to get back in the groove and start appealing to the masses more. :D