• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My misery sermon reached a deaf guy today

Spiderman

Veteran Member
So, the question in group was about an important part of recovery.

My answer was "learn to love being miserable. My addiction is trying to make misery go away.

If I welcome misery, love misery like a best friend , mistress, and wise teacher, not want the misery to go away, I grow in my coping skills for dealing with misery, and I learn to love it, therefore I lose the need for it to leave, and lose the need for a chemical fix.

I then grow stronger. The more misery I have, the more tolerance to my misery grows. With resistance comes strength and power".

A deaf guy (I have never heard compliment a peer in group) motioned with his hands.

His sign language interpreter said he was giving me the "affirmative, right, 10-4, I concur, well said".

I found it astounding that the message was given to him correctly in sign language and that he found it deep and liked the message.

He has never responded to a peer in group, or their statements like that since I've been here.

Why would "love and welcome misery" reach him like that? No one knows.

Any guesses though?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

My answer was "learn to love being miserable. My addiction is trying to make misery go away.

If I welcome misery, love misery like a best friend , mistress, and wise teacher, not want the misery to go away, I grow in my coping skills for dealing with misery, and I learn to love it, therefore I lose the need for it to leave, and lose the need for a chemical fix.

I then grow stronger. The more misery I have, the more tolerance to my misery grows. With resistance comes strength and power".

A deaf guy (I have never heard compliment a peer in group) motioned with his hands.

His sign language interpreter said he was giving me the "affirmative, right, 10-4, I concur, well said".

I found it astounding that the message was given to him correctly in sign language and that he found it deep and liked the message.

He has never responded to a peer in group, or their statements like that since I've been here.

Any guesses though?

I've heard it said the harder you fight against something(mentally speaking), the more power you give it. By trying to focus against it, you pay it attention, and it uses it to get stronger.

Personally, I've found that when I just let myself feel like crap, it burns off a lot quicker than it would if I were to fight against it. I always hear "smile! Fake it 'til you make it!" But I haven't found that true for myself.

Its hard to say why he enjoyed your message so much without asking him. Why don't you talk to him about it next time you see him?

Alienistic

Anti-conformity
Doesn’t hurt to try loving it, if hating it hasn’t worked. Maybe some misery will gradually start to ignore someone the more they love it and it having less effects on them. Rendering it more powerless. Like a bully that stops picking on someone once it’s no longer fun for them because it does not phase or offend the one being picked on any longer. Or sometimes the other approach may work, where one faces the bully head on and teaches them a lesson.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member

Any guesses though?
"The more cynical you become, the better off you'll be - something to believe in" - The Offspring.