• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My local newspaper cancelled its Sunday sermon

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
My local (German) newspaper recently cancelled its Sunday sermon. Upon inquiry, they told me that the average age of their subscribers was 72, and that due to the inevitable, the number of subscribers was decreasing by 7 to 8 percent per year. Younger people would no longer subscribe to newspapers, but would increasingly use the Internet, and therefore, in order to "prepare for the future", the newspaper would increasingly cover the topics that are most popular in their online edition. Apparently, the good Lord is not one of them (any longer) . :rolleyes:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I haven't gotten a printed edition of a newspaper in a long time. I used to be a long time subscriber, sometimes to both the morning and afternoon newspapers, but over time, I noticed that the price kept going up, while both the quality and quantity of news were going down. Less news, more advertising - and they expected people to pay more for it. That was the direction they were heading even before I got an internet connection - and even then, I still subscribed. But after a certain point, I just quit. The news is all over the internet. If people want sermons, they can get sermons on the internet. Even here on RF.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
My paper just halved its comics... not impressed. "you can read the rest online" it states. No, thank you. One day, I'm sure it will be online only. And then I'll probably forget all about it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I value paper versions of newspapers.
They're great for starting a fire in the woodstove.
(Mrs Revolt loves to read them first.)