• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My life is about to change a lot this year.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Right now i am living in the apartment of the woman who used to be my fianceè but since our breakup, i have started to think of where to live next.

I know i can not afford to buy a house, nor will i at this stage in the process be able to rent a flat, because it is very expensive to rent here in Norway, especially when one are alone.

So I have been looking at buying a cheap camper van or a caravan. But also been thinking about an older form of a bus I could convert to be a camper bus :)

This form of lifestyle has been on my mind for many years actually, but i never had the chance to do it because i always had people around me i had to take care of. But now when i have become single and only need to think of me and my cat. Yes then it is a possibility :)

Can I do it? I have no idea right now. but until coronavirus is gone i have been allowed to stay here in this apartment for now :)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Right now i am living in the apartment of the woman who used to be my fianceè but since our breakup, i have started to think of where to live next.

I know i can not afford to buy a house, nor will i at this stage in the process be able to rent a flat, because it is very expensive to rent here in Norway, especially when one are alone.

So I have been looking at buying a cheap camper van or a caravan. But also been thinking about an older form of a bus I could convert to be a camper bus :)

This form of lifestyle has been on my mind for many years actually, but i never had the chance to do it because i always had people around me i had to take care of. But now when i have become single and only need to think of me and my cat. Yes then it is a possibility :)

Can I do it? I have no idea right now. but until coronavirus is gone i have been allowed to stay here in this apartment for now :)

A mobile home can be great in the summer months, even if static the costs are much less than rent on an apartment.

Winter... Make sure the insulation is top notch and it has a good, well ventilated heating system.

I know a guy who has lived in a converted Ford D series truck in England for many years. The winters are hard on him.

I understand you winters are harsher, take that into account

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
A mobile home can be great in the summer months, even if static the costs are much less than rent on an apartment.

Winter... Make sure the insulation is top notch and it has a good, well ventilated heating system.

I know a guy who has lived in a converted Ford D series truck in England for many years. The winters are hard on him.

I understand you winters are harsher, take that into account
Thank you for your advice Christine :) Yes winter here can be cold, but i been doing some research of how to make it warm even in wintertimes :) And as you say it needs good insulation, and if i do get a bus, i can actually be allowed to put in a tiny woodstove of some sort (as far as i know) but i have to check the rules on that.
Other options are a lot of batteries in the belly of a bus and then use those when i need electric heater at wintertime.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Thank you for your advice Christine :) Yes winter here can be cold, but i been doing some research of how to make it warm even in wintertimes :) And as you say it needs good insulation, and if i do get a bus, i can actually be allowed to put in a tiny woodstove of some sort (as far as i know) but i have to check the rules on that.
Other options are a lot of batteries in the belly of a bus and then use those when i need electric heater at wintertime.

My friend installed calor gas central heating. Still needs a battery to fire and run the pump which he kept charged driving the vehicle around for a while every so often.

Also consider road taxes, fuel and mandatory safety test.

Batteries on their own are not good for heating. Soon expire

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
My friend installed calor gas central heating. Still needs a battery to fire and run the pump which he kept charged driving the vehicle around for a while every so often.

Yes all you say here is very good. Road tax and Eu test as they call it here, is my least worry right now hehe :) As long i can buy it, build it to fit my needs then it will be all good, even if i can not drive it until next year. Right now its all about getting a roof above my head before winter :)

Flame

Beware

Batteries on their own are not good for heating. Soon expire

How common/easy is it to get solar panels in the EU? We've been converting a F550 shuttle and the battery we got lasts 10 years.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
How common/easy is it to get solar panels in the EU? We've been converting a F550 shuttle and the battery we got lasts 10 years.
A solar panel is not difficult to get here, they are a bit expensive, but yes i do look into that too. Because if i choose to go off-grid for some time, i would need power :)

ChristineM

Premium Member

Good solution but would a battery last a northern europe night without charge... And being northern Europe the winter daylight hours are quit short

Solar panels are easy to get her. We have an array on our house roof.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Good solution but would a battery last a northern europe night without charge... And being northern Europe the winter daylight hours are quit short

Solar panels are easy to get her. We have an array on our house roof.
My thought is to use diesel generator in the winter and solar panel in summer months. and wherever i can I would plug into the main power grid when needed.
upload_2020-3-19_17-36-57.png

ChristineM

Premium Member
A solar panel is not difficult to get here, they are a bit expensive, but yes i do look into that too. Because if i choose to go off-grid for some time, i would need power :)

Solar is good lighting etc but may be limited for heat.

Our heat pump just kicked in to remind me it's there. Good heat source, ours is set at a constant 18c, summer or winter. It will take heat from the outside air down to -17/-18c. And conditions the air during summer.

It uses very little power, 2 fans and a pump. So could easily be powered by a solar panel.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Solar is good lighting etc but may be limited for heat.

Our heat pump just kicked in to remind me it's there. Good heat source, ours is set at a constant 18c, summer or winter. It will take heat from the outside air down to -17/-18c. And conditions the air during summer.

It uses very little power, 2 fans and a pump. So could easily be powered by a solar panel.
I am still in the planning mood :) so i am very happy to get ideas from you guys :)
When i was younger i used to cam out in a tent more or less all summer and sometimes winter, so i am not unfamiliar with living "off-grid" kind of lifestyle in that way. But permanently living in a bus or van is new to me

ChristineM

Premium Member
I am still in the planning mood :) so i am very happy to get ideas from you guys :)
When i was younger i used to cam out in a tent more or less all summer and sometimes winter, so i am not unfamiliar with living "off-grid" kind of lifestyle in that way. But permanently living in a bus or van is new to me

Best of luck.

P.s. heat pumps, like solar panels are expensive

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Best of luck.

P.s. heat pumps, like solar panels are expensive
Thank you :) I know i will be updating the process when i get started :)
And my budget is limited so in the beginning, i think it will be trying to get free stuff from different places :) Or do a little job for someone as a payment for a few items

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Lots of Youtube videos on DIY camper vans.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Go for it!
See if you can find an RV trailer which is set up for winter usage.
It'll be designed to prevent plumbing from freezing.

Btw, in case you don't know....
RV = Recreational Vehicle

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I think it's great for some people but unfortunately here in the US, if you live off the grid, the government's going to come after you.