• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My journey through art school

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
As open as I can sometimes be on the forum, I'm a little modest when it comes to admitting that I went to art school, and learned color theory, lighting and shadow, something called form (could have had a better name than what I'm calling it), and creating charts as part of planning should you take on an animations project or coordinate it (weird subject, I know). I didn't complete my degree. I voluntarily dropped out upon facing some funding problems.

So the big question is, why haven't I talked about it? It's because I was pretty terrible at art including Photoshop while I was in school. I've only recently gotten some legs at it. But at least some things I remember pretty well, like color theory.

See my avatar?:

40435f67781f2b2c98c4e4fc87ca91b5.jpeg

I made it and it uses my face.

While there are some apps that can produce really great art and effects these days, I took a more old-school approach with editing this. It took a few steps. And it still isn't perfect. But sometimes you're limited by your stock photo when Photoshopping, too.

So I'll share with you guys one subject that I learned while in college, and my take on it:

Color theory

The idea is that different colors can cause different emotions in people. It's why McDonald's uses the color scheme it does - to make you hungry. And it's why angry emojis are often red. Many of my peers in college as part of our debates, yes there were debates. Debates in college. And they were scored. Because they were actually a part of course-work. Anyway, many of my peers in college found the subject meaningless. You see, while a lot of Americans interpret red with anger and a few other things, people over in Japan may see the colors and interpret them differently. I don't know exactly how it works. But for this reason, most of my peers argued that employing Color Theory in a work is meaningless for that reason. I took the opposing side on the matter, that it is useful to know, and though I didn't tell them as much, I now see it as lazy to be an artist and refuse to take a look at the subject - almost like you are ignoring nuances.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I think the cultural interpretation of color is really interesting! And I agree with you, it seems like something that's better to know than not. Seems like instead of arguing against using it at all they could perhaps argue that it just requires more color theory (a know your audience type thing).

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
When taking on a new commission we would provide the customer with a colour chart and ask the score the colours along with a brief description of emotions they causes.

The results would often but not always dictate the colour scheme of the work.

Yes, colour theory is most important.

Quick question, why are traffic lights the colours they are worldwide

RestlessSoul

When taking on a new commission we would provide the customer with a colour chart and ask the score the colours along with a brief description of emotions they causes.

The results would often but not always dictate the colour scheme of the work.

Yes, colour theory is most important.

Quick question, why are traffic lights the colours they are worldwide

Presumably there’s something in the nature of red, or our perception thereof, which spells a warning? Whereas green is in some way naturally inviting…

Maybe something to do with blood and fire, verses vegetation, nourishment and shelter?

Colour blind people often struggle to distinguish those two, so that must be a bugger when driving.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Presumably there’s something in the nature of red, or our perception thereof, which spells a warning? Whereas green is in some way naturally inviting…

Maybe something to do with blood and fire, verses vegetation, nourishment and shelter?

Colour blind people often struggle to distinguish those two, so that must be a bugger when driving.

I knew one color blind person once, though he was just an online friend. He was a video gamer, but he really couldn't play normal games too well, so he chose old PC adventure games like Myst. Apparently, from what he told me, he had some pretty good experiences with those.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Im not colour blind but red bleeds into its surroundings. The red traffic light looks awesome when not wearing eye glasses.

I have an artist friend who is colour blind and didn't know until he did a watercolour of 3 cows in blue, white and red. It's become quite famous in france because its the french flag colours. Since then he reads the labels on the paint tubes rather than relying on what looks good.

Red has been used for stop on railway s since before the invention of the car,
At that time green was used for caution and clear or white for go. I dont know why it changed.

A little anecdote. When asked about traffic problems in his city the Mayor of Naples said it was to the understanding that green meant go, and red meant go with caution.
Having driven in naples this makes perfect sense

Edit. Green became go because there were several accidents with train drivers mistaking the moon or stars for a go signal