• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Jain Conversion Experience

Jesse Muñoz

Hi All,

I'm not sure why it isn't allowing me to post in the actual Jainism DIR, but I am an American who was raised Episcopalian Christian, with a dad very interested in Buddhism (which as a child I thought sounded foolish, or worse) but I recently had a profound conversion to Jainism through meditation and realizing the truth that there is no creator God-- I remember back when I was still a Christian I thought Jain atheism sounded truly horrendous, but now it is the only thing that makes sense. I didn't leave Christianity due to Christian beliefs on Hell, for it's actually quite clear from the original Greek of the New Testament that Christ didn't teach Hell to be eternal (I think all eastern religious followers should realize that while SOME Christians do hold to the horrendous "hellfire and brimstone for eternity" stuff, not all do, and as i said it's not in the Greek), but rather because I have simply had a profound realization that no one created the universe. I am still learning about Mahavira and the Tirthankaras and only beginning to practice ahimsā in my diet. Any fellow Jains in the American southeast? Let me know! The nearest temple for me is in Atlanta, which is quite a drive, unfortunately.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I am far from you, but have lived among Jains in Rajasthan for half my life. Your views are welcome.
I consider Mahavira to be Che Guewara of religions, absolute honesty in word and life.

Nicholas

Bodhicitta
Welcome Jesse! Was your conversion just an inward conviction or was there some sort of ceremony involving a Jain monks? If the latter, tell us about that event.

Using the contact sources in the list of Jain Temples, one of those in the South may know of Jain individuals living closer to you.

JAIN CENTERS & TEMPLES IN NORTH AMERICA - USA & CANADA

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Ever since I have been a member of RF, I have tried to interest Jains to participate. But no success. They seem to be more interested in their bussiness / jobs.