• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"My God! My God! Why Have You Forsaken Me!"

Axe Elf

Prophet
I had discussed this some time ago in this post

Why Has thou Forsaken Me - Baha'i Forums

It appears Christ was most likely quoting Old Testament Writings

Regards Tony

Well yeah, He was very familiar with the Psalms, and words he found there were how He chose to express Himself in that moment--but there was still a reason that He chose to express THOSE thoughts in THAT moment--he wasn't just reciting Psalms for no reason. He still felt the separation from God caused by the sin of the world before He died.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What did Jesus mean when he cried out, "My God! My God! Why have you forsaken me"? Did he truly feel forsaken? If so, why? Had God really forsaken him, or was that just his perception?
I came across this recently I found intriguing. The Lamsa Bible works from the Amarmaic and translates the verse thusly,

Matthew 27: 46
And about the ninth hour, Jesus cried out with a loud voice and said, Eli, Eli, lemana shabakthani! My God, my God, for this was I spared!
Footnote: This was my destiny.

Mark 15: 34
And at the ninth hour, Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lemana shabakthani! which means, My God, my God, for this was I spared.
Footnote: "which means" used by Mark to explain translation from one Aramaic dialect to another.

You can see this is quite a different meaning than Jesus feeling himself literally abandoned by God. Here's more on this translation: Was Jesus Forsaken by God?

Hawkins

What did Jesus mean when he cried out, "My God! My God! Why have you forsaken me"? Did he truly feel forsaken? If so, why? Had God really forsaken him, or was that just his perception?

There is a formal theological explanation. Just consult your pastor for that explanation.

However there is something in-depth to be witnessed in this passage, which only the dead can tell. In a nutshell, it is a common feeling (or rather a must feeling each human will perceive) during the process of death. You don't know such a feeling simply because you have never experienced death itself. Those in Hades can tell you how such a feeling happened. The strong feeling of being forsaken is part of the process of death. The verse thus stands witnessing that Jesus experienced a true death.

The Psalm verse acts as a prophecy or prediction of what Jesus would say in His crucifixion.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
so.....maybe the Voice of heaven was with Him at any moment when called upon
His ministry seems to be bolstered by an unseen Force

(and if you want to knee jerk a joke about Jedi knights......ok)

but seriously......
the hour of your last breath is going to stress you out
especially if you have to hang around for a while

and for Him......in that last hour......
God and heaven were silent

and I have drawn long hours of thought concerning the words He spoke

and I have expectation.....there will be a silence like none I have ever heard
in the hour of my last breath

A Vestigial Mote

I don't know if it is fair to expect cogent statements from a person in that moment who is the son of a god, and who most assuredly realized that his father (God) apparently required the human sacrifice of His son to appease Himself. Or is that the human sacrifice of himself to appease Himself? Anyway... I know that would mess me up pretty good.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I believe God really did forsake Him, but not for an extended period of time. I believe the reason for this was so that He would be able to experience and therefore empathize with humanity when we feel that God has forsaken us.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
I had discussed this some time ago in this post

Why Has thou Forsaken Me - Baha'i Forums

It appears Christ was most likely quoting Old Testament Writings, Psalm 22

Regards Tony

None of that changes what he said, and expression of betrayal.

One other possibility exists however, he could have been addressing it to some or all of those who were present and watching him die--those who turned on him when God didn't assume the throne after the cleansing of the Temple.

"George Lamsa the Aramaic scholar translated Matthew 27:46 this way:

And in the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice and said, Eli, eli, lmana shabachthani! which means My God, My God, for this I was kept!

In a footnote; "This was my destiny for which I was born"

So this I think suggests a different meaning than the one usually used.

Lamsa had some interesting perspectives as he was a native Aramaic speaker." (Quoted - Formally posted by Arthra)

Lamsa Bible - Lamsa Bible - Wikipedia

Regards Tony

Good! 'Kept' // 'hallowed' // "within the veil", The Most Holy One of God "His Name The Most Holy Place" Isaiah 57:15.

Ponder This

I don't know if it is fair to expect cogent statements from a person in that moment who is the son of a god, and who most assuredly realized that his father (God) apparently required the human sacrifice of His son to appease Himself. Or is that the human sacrifice of himself to appease Himself? Anyway... I know that would mess me up pretty good.

I think it may be a mistake to say that God required a sacrifice...
and possibly more accurate to say that the people required a sacrifice.

Scott C.

Just one guy
He was quoting the start of the 22nd Psalms. As it was explained to me by a Rabbi it was the custom of the Hebrews to quote the start of the a Psalm in lieu of reciting the entire chapter.

I believe God the Father withdrew his strengthening support from Jesus, that otherwise was always with Jesus in his life. Jesus needed to complete this sacrifice on his own.

Axe Elf

Prophet
I came across this recently I found intriguing. The Lamsa Bible works from the Amarmaic and translates the verse thusly,

Matthew 27: 46
And about the ninth hour, Jesus cried out with a loud voice and said, Eli, Eli, lemana shabakthani! My God, my God, for this was I spared!
Footnote: This was my destiny.

Mark 15: 34
And at the ninth hour, Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lemana shabakthani! which means, My God, my God, for this was I spared.
Footnote: "which means" used by Mark to explain translation from one Aramaic dialect to another.

You can see this is quite a different meaning than Jesus feeling himself literally abandoned by God. Here's more on this translation: Was Jesus Forsaken by God?

Yeah, this has already been brought up in this thread, and dismissed as a faulty translation.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Yeah, he says that when he misses a putt too. God just rolls his eyes. I tend to stay quiet as both can be a bit hot-headed. :)

If you can imagine it, they both made me sign a NDA barring me from filming the events while on the golf course. (Yeah, like I would leak the video to FailArmy on YouTube.)

Last edited:

Axe Elf

Prophet
Yeah, he says that when he misses a putt too. God just rolls his eyes. I tend to stay quiet as both can be a bit hot-headed. :)

Moses, Jesus and an old man were out golfing one day. Jesus steps up to the first tee and drives His ball directly into the water. No problem; he merely walks out on the water and chips His ball onto the green. Next Moses tees off, and he also drives his ball directly into the water. No problem; he merely stretches out his club, parts the waters, and chips his ball onto the green. Finally, the old man tees off, and his ball heads toward the water too. But just at the last moment, a fish jumps out of the water and catches the golf ball in it's mouth. Then a hawk swoops down and grabs the fish, carrying it back to land and dropping it on the green, where the ball pops out of the fish's mouth and rolls right into the hole. "Ok dad, you win," says Jesus, "Now let's quit screwing around and play some golf."

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Moses, Jesus and an old man were out golfing one day. Jesus steps up to the first tee and drives His ball directly into the water. No problem; he merely walks out on the water and chips His ball onto the green. Next Moses tees off, and he also drives his ball directly into the water. No problem; he merely stretches out his club, parts the waters, and chips his ball onto the green. Finally, the old man tees off, and his ball heads toward the water too. But just at the last moment, a fish jumps out of the water and catches the golf ball in it's mouth. Then a hawk swoops down and grabs the fish, carrying it back to land and dropping it on the green, where the ball pops out of the fish's mouth and rolls right into the hole. "Ok dad, you win," says Jesus, "Now let's quit screwing around and play some golf."
Was that you hiding in the bushes a few weeks back?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I believe God the Father withdrew his strengthening support from Jesus, that otherwise was always with Jesus in his life. Jesus needed to complete this sacrifice on his own.

You're entitled to your belief, but I'm not quite certain what you mean, and I don't think you understand the "Jewishness" of the scripture Jesus was quoting.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
He still felt the separation from God caused by the sin of the world before He died.

I am ok with the way you choose to see this passage. No worries, as there was an anguish in those Words that were to give each of us thoughts to consider the meanings.

Personally I see it as somthing we have to consider and not that Jesus the Christ felt he was Forsaken by God. Jesus was also well aware that Sin is remoteness from God. Jesus was sinless, thus with God at all times.

All that Christ did and said was for our benefit.

I also consider the martyrs that have hasten to death, knowing that they were not forsaken by God in Christ.

Regards Tony

Axe Elf

Prophet
Personally I see it as somthing we have to consider and not that Jesus the Christ felt he was Forsaken by God. Jesus was also well aware that Sin is remoteness from God. Jesus was sinless, thus with God at all times.

Jesus was sinless up until the point that he bore the sin of the world to His death--and for those few moments, He WAS separated from God. But just for those few moments before His death. Then He was free of the sin again.