• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My friend larry has butt cancer.Please pray for him.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Interesting... This is unique to American Christians?

Pretty much. I have never seen such a common collective response to problems. If someone expresses going through a drama or a trauma, (on social media for example) an American's first and most common response is "I'll pray for you"......or the one experiencing the problem will ask others to pray for them. It doesn't seem to matter that all their collective prayers don't appear to do much in actual fact, but I guess it makes them feel better for offering. I am not sure of the mindset.....do they expect that God will wave a magic wand and fix it, even when prayers for everyone else have not really altered anything? Does prayer become the thing you do when you can't do anything else? If God is not answering, then what is the problem? If the Bible tells us to pray, then what does it tell us to pray for? Miracles? Nope. Prayer is for the strength to cope with the traumas, not necessarily to miraculously remove them.

The book of Job tells us why we are going through these traumas in the first place. It's about maintaining faith in spite of the problems.....and its about recognising who is responsible for them....and why he is permitted to bring them on us.

If we Christians understand this, then we don't blame the wrong person.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Have you heard of the placebo effect? Let's say you're right and this is not the purpose of prayer. If the intended recipient of the prayer's effects believes that prayer will help cure his disease, through the placebo effect, the benefit outweighs the harm.

No problem with the placebo effect but it helps to identify it as such. If you don't, then so many wonder why God didn't cure them, but did the other person. Like miracle healing sessions that don't work...it makes those who remain unwell seem like failures because God didn't fix them. See the problem?

It has always struck me as odd that if God is omnipotent and someone falls ill that a simple petition would make him say "Whoops, I guess I was wrong. Let me fix that."

But now that you bring it up, rather than derail this thread, I'll start a new one on the purpose of prayer.

Sounds good. God gets nothing wrong....we do.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Pretty much. I have never seen such a common collective response to problems. If someone expresses going through a drama or a trauma, (on social media for example) an American's first and most common response is "I'll pray for you"......or the one experiencing the problem will ask others to pray for them. It doesn't seem to matter that all their collective prayers don't appear to do much in actual fact, but I guess it makes them feel better for offering. I am not sure of the mindset.....do they expect that God will wave a magic wand and fix it, even when prayers for everyone else have not really altered anything? Does prayer become the thing you do when you can't do anything else? If God is not answering, then what is the problem? If the Bible tells us to pray, then what does it tell us to pray for? Miracles? Nope. Prayer is for the strength to cope with the traumas, not necessarily to miraculously remove them.

The book of Job tells us why we are going through these traumas in the first place. It's about maintaining faith in spite of the problems.....and its about recognising who is responsible for them....and why he is permitted to bring them on us.

If we Christians understand this, then we don't blame the wrong person.

Well, Most American Christians also disregard a rather large portion of what Christ taught, so...

They see themselves as the face of the faith, and are confused by foreign Christians who don't support the same ideological approach as they do toward economics, environment, social welfare, or guns.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Well, Most American Christians also disregard a rather large portion of what Christ taught, so...

Well, most "Christians" justify all manner of disobedience when it come to following the teachings of Jesus Christ.

They see themselves as the face of the faith, and are confused by foreign Christians who don't support the same ideological approach as they do toward economics, environment, social welfare, or guns.

Yep...says it all, doesn't it? So much for being "no part of the world"....(John 15:18-21; 1 John 5:19; John 18:36)

Gandalf

Horn Tooter
Obviously "butt cancer"

Perplexing that the buttocks of this age are most tainted with the strangest of diseases, I must assemble the Maiar and do council to aid Middle Earth with its new "Butt Cancer," as I fear these crevices will be the new home of the Balrog who will lurk deep in the bowels of men before emerging to lay claim to Middle Earth once more.