• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My food plan is it ruined? Blood sugar issues

Riders

No but I am gonna have to add some natural sugars to it. I have been doing a program which some Over eaters anonymous do most don't and I am also using Mindful Eating book which teaches you to meditate while eating.

I quite the sugars, the deserts the candy's anything with processed sugar except white carbs, and all the cokes I got rid of it. Then I eat small meals 3 small a day.

Anyways I'm sure the low carbers will be up here cackling abut no carbs shortly. I will plan on in the future getting my flour back to whole wheats and corns only though. But Im not restricting my breads to 2 a day.

I eat 3 small meals with no binges and I eat no binge foods.

Well two days ago I woke up with 76 blood sugar which is low but not a real big deal. I woke up today my nurse took it, it all the way down to 68! I'm on my fifth day was on my fifth day of my eating plan. I was out of it sick, my sister put 10 bucks in my bank account so I could order pizza and coke.

Yea I got off it and ate pizza coke. I am not changing my diet plan one bit. The thing of it is I have had this happen before which is why I am sensitive to eating the whole low carb keto whatever way. I have had my body so use to eating so much sugar and cokes and candy and all that junk so much that just getting rid of the deserts and cokes alone throws my body into freaking shock.

I have an answer though. I am not no going back to my old ways. I have used this as an excuse before.

I won't now, getting back on my diet tomorrow. However I have never ever once over ate on yogurt or fruit. So I have not been eating either one, so if I add some apples and oranges and vanilla yogurt by Dannon that has sugar in it, I will not binge. Ill just eat one serving and I think it should keep my blood sugar up.

I am aware that white carbs are junk. But eventually I plan on switching to whole wheats again. That should help. I have not been taking my meds responsibly this week have not had my Metforman.

My Dr. wants me to stay on it even though my blood sugars been pretty good. I hope it does not cause me any problems.

If I had been on the Keto diet I would be in the hospital now, this is why I don't do low carb diets.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Assuming you have type two diabetes, it can go away if you cut the sugar from your diet, in which case you may or may not still need medication for it.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
No but I am gonna have to add some natural sugars to it. I have been doing a program which some Over eaters anonymous do most don't and I am also using Mindful Eating book which teaches you to meditate while eating.

I quite the sugars, the deserts the candy's anything with processed sugar except white carbs, and all the cokes I got rid of it. Then I eat small meals 3 small a day.

Anyways I'm sure the low carbers will be up here cackling abut no carbs shortly. I will plan on in the future getting my flour back to whole wheats and corns only though. But Im not restricting my breads to 2 a day.

I eat 3 small meals with no binges and I eat no binge foods.

Well two days ago I woke up with 76 blood sugar which is low but not a real big deal. I woke up today my nurse took it, it all the way down to 68! I'm on my fifth day was on my fifth day of my eating plan. I was out of it sick, my sister put 10 bucks in my bank account so I could order pizza and coke.

Yea I got off it and ate pizza coke. I am not changing my diet plan one bit. The thing of it is I have had this happen before which is why I am sensitive to eating the whole low carb keto whatever way. I have had my body so use to eating so much sugar and cokes and candy and all that junk so much that just getting rid of the deserts and cokes alone throws my body into freaking shock.

I have an answer though. I am not no going back to my old ways. I have used this as an excuse before.

I won't now, getting back on my diet tomorrow. However I have never ever once over ate on yogurt or fruit. So I have not been eating either one, so if I add some apples and oranges and vanilla yogurt by Dannon that has sugar in it, I will not binge. Ill just eat one serving and I think it should keep my blood sugar up.

I am aware that white carbs are junk. But eventually I plan on switching to whole wheats again. That should help. I have not been taking my meds responsibly this week have not had my Metforman.

My Dr. wants me to stay on it even though my blood sugars been pretty good. I hope it does not cause me any problems.

If I had been on the Keto diet I would be in the hospital now, this is why I don't do low carb diets.
I honestly hope you will get your health, weight and diet under control so you can start feeling better. I wish I could help you but I think you know better about healthy foods then I do at the moment :)

Wish you all the best @Riders

Shaul

Premium Member
I am sorry to read that you struggle with blood sugar issues. As you know, it is a serious matter. Please take care of your health.

Mindmaster

Premium Member

You're cutting the carbs way too much, sub-70 is really dangerous over prolonged periods of time. The size of your meal also doesn't matter, you can fill the plate with more meat or healthy fat-containing foods. You should try to get your energy needs off fat because it never causes the insulin spike. This isn't about going hungry it's about having the right food on the plate. You need 20% of RDA in carbs to avoid keto, so you have to eat some but it's how you eat them. Cheese & meat are great "fillers" because they never cause problems. (high protein / fat content) Leaner meats like Turkey aren't ideal if you're dealing with diabetic issues, and I virtually never eat them. (You want meat with fats in them, not lean stuff.) Eating fat doesn't make you fat, your body slowly processes fats and there are many essential vitamins that your body can only make with it being in your diet. What you should basically avoid is consuming carbs w/a high ratio of protein/fat on the plate.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Disappointment is part of dieting. You try things. They disappoint but may partially work. Then you use that to help you find something that does work. Eating is a challenge. The challenge is to eat. When you take something away that you like it becomes more difficult to know what to eat.

I have slimmed down some, but I'm unwilling to go to the next level. I cook my own food and with few exceptions do not buy sugar, but I don't count carbs. Its been complicated learning to cook, and there have been problems. For one thing making my own food has been filled with disappointments. Adding too much or too little makes things taste wrong.

I spent time learning to make good beans only to find out that they couldn't be the majority of my food. Beans don't digest well by themselves. I'm living without bread and sugar, and yet I can't eat mostly beans? I have put rice back into my diet and broccoli and so forth. Rice is a compromise, but I am taking it over going hungry. There's always pressure to eat something besides fruit and veggies. Fruit spoils or comes in cans or must be frozen. Salad from the store seems like a virus risk, plus it shrivels too quickly. I haven't had pizza in so very long. I miss it. At least my beans are good.

I think that dieting has levels. There are things I'm not willing to do. I'm not willing to eat okra. I want ketchup with my fries. Getting rid of bad foods sounds easy, but I have to find something else to eat. I have to have food or I'll get lethargic. Also as I progress I have to become increasingly strict to get more value out of dieting. I can't eat *nothing*, yet I lose food options the harder I push.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
@Riders
This might be a silly question...
You make reference to a nurse and your doctor but do you have access to (or have seen) a nutritionist? The well-meaning people on this forum (including me) are likely to offer advice which contradicts other well-meaning people on this forum. A nutritionist (or at least a book by a nutritionist) would be a far better course of action imo. My only advice is to avoid fad diets
Good luck.

Riders

@Riders
You make reference to a nurse and your doctor but do you have access to (or have seen) a nutritionist? The well-meaning people on this forum (including me) are likely to offer advice which contradicts other well-meaning people on this forum. A nutritionist (or at least a book by a nutritionist) would be a far better course of action imo. My only advice is to avoid fad diets
Good luck.
Yes I have a nutritionist thanks. He calls me.

Riders

@Riders
Good luck.

Those area all good thoughts. I really think I was just drowning in sugar and deserts and candy and coke so much that once I took it all away my blood sugar shot down so I am having low blood issues.

But I can't go back to that so I have to find ways to add sugar back without jumping back to my old habits. I think vanilla yogurt and fruit will do the trick. Yogurt has some added carbs and sugars. But I do not ever binge on it so it's not a risk.

Right now I am eating white carbs but because I got rid of all that sugar I guess its not hurting me, ut I would like to get back to whole heats eventually.

Mindful Eating is a book that teaches you to meditate while you eat, and I have not even used that yet, I got the work book for free. But it's like Zen or Yoga meditation while eating being present with your food, taking tiny bites eating slow meditating etc.......................I will use it as a tool for my eating.

Lyndon

Premium Member
Sounds like if you can just lay off the sugar, your diabetes might not be bad enough to need medication, without medication, no matter how low sugar your diet is, your blood levels should not drop to dangerous levels, that's being cause by the medications.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Those area all good thoughts. I really think I was just drowning in sugar and deserts and candy and coke so much that once I took it all away my blood sugar shot down so I am having low blood issues.

But I can't go back to that so I have to find ways to add sugar back without jumping back to my old habits. I think vanilla yogurt and fruit will do the trick. Yogurt has some added carbs and sugars. But I do not ever binge on it so it's not a risk.

Right now I am eating white carbs but because I got rid of all that sugar I guess its not hurting me, ut I would like to get back to whole heats eventually.

Mindful Eating is a book that teaches you to meditate while you eat, and I have not even used that yet, I got the work book for free. But it's like Zen or Yoga meditation while eating being present with your food, taking tiny bites eating slow meditating etc.......................I will use it as a tool for my eating.

Once you max out on sugars, to avoid "crashing" the body craves maintainence of the high level, diabetes or not. Steady level better than peaks and troughs.

Lyndon

Premium Member
Any diabetic is told to eat sugar, preferably glucose, the fastest acting sugar, if their blood sugar falls below 60. 79 is not an emergency

Lyndon

Premium Member
we're rooting for you riders. be careful and try your best to eat a healthy diet, i let myself have one sugar rockstar a day but no other sugar items, my blood sugar is about 90 when i wake up but goes much higher when i eat, i have to take slow release insulin shots once a day in addition to metaformin and glypicide. yours doesn't sound as bad as mine if you're not taking insulin, keep up the good work

Riders

we're rooting for you riders. be careful and try your best to eat a healthy diet, i let myself have one sugar rockstar a day but no other sugar items, my blood sugar is about 90 when i wake up but goes much higher when i eat, i have to take slow release insulin shots once a day in addition to metaformin and glypicide. yours doesn't sound as bad as mine if you're not taking insulin, keep up the good work

Thanks and no I am not on anything but Metforman. I have not been taking it lately, I have neglected my meds.
So I'm worried about getting back on metformin. My blood sugar this morning after I ate was 81.

Lyndon

Premium Member
Then tell your doctor but until then I would recommend you stay off Metaformin, your blood sugar is fine.