• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My first time

Yerda

Veteran Member
Gardened for the first time recently and it was surprisingly pleasant. My friends have been ripping me for being an old man.

There's a big thorny thing next to the rose bushes and I'm wondering what it is and what to do with it. It has a long and thick stem covered in pretty nasty thorns. If plants could look like they want a fight this one would.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Gardened for the first time recently and it was surprisingly pleasant. My friends have been ripping me for being an old man.

There's a big thorny thing next to the rose bushes and I'm wondering what it is and what to do with it. It has a long and thick stem covered in pretty nasty thorns. If plants could look like they want a fight this one would.
Are you sure it's not the roses?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
It has a long and thick stem covered in pretty nasty thorns. If plants could look like they want a fight this one would.

All garden roses are grafts. The flowering top is grafted on sturdier roots. So if a rose plant is neglected or hard frozen or something, and dies back to the roots, what will grow back won't look very impressive.
You've probably had that happen to one. There is nothing to be done about it.
Tom

Noa

I would garden if I did not have to touch dirt. It would be fun to grow flowers.

Milton Platt

But noticeable dirt is gross! :eek:

Well, I have gardened for years and I do not know why you think soil is a bad thing. Unsanitary is different from actual dirt, which is necessary for life on this planet. I mean, I can get uncomfortable with a filthy environment, so I think I understand where you are coming from. You just need to separate the two concepts. If you study the ecosystem in dirt, it is fascinating.

Noa

Well, I have gardened for years and I do not know why you think soil is a bad thing. Unsanitary is different from actual dirt, which is necessary for life on this planet. I mean, I can get uncomfortable with a filthy environment, so I think I understand where you are coming from. You just need to separate the two concepts. If you study the ecosystem in dirt, it is fascinating.

Dirt can have bugs in it. And it makes me feel, well, dirty. Hard to explain. I dislike being out in nature unless it is winter time.

Milton Platt

Dirt can have bugs in it. And it makes me feel, well, dirty. Hard to explain. I dislike being out in nature unless it is winter time.

I understand, I have a friend that way. Not trying to "heap dirt on your feelings" (sorry :)), Just wishing you could overcome them and learn to enjoy.