• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My favorite religious song.

Ellen Brown

There is a song with the line "Oh my God, how canst you love a worm like me". I think it was from Pre-American Colony days. It might have been done by the writer of "Amazing Grace:?

Another is "More Holiness Give me" . The original song had just Jenny Phillips a piano and a small chior. This latest version has Mormon leaders inserting themselves into the mix in a way that angers me.

whirlingmerc

There is a song with the line "Oh my God, how canst you love a worm like me". I think it was from Pre-American Colony days. It might have been done by the writer of "Amazing Grace:?

Another is "More Holiness Give me" . The original song had just Jenny Phillips a piano and a small chior. This latest version has Mormon leaders inserting themselves into the mix in a way that angers me.

It was written by someone named Bliss, Amazing Grace was in the Olmney Hymnal which was written by John Newton the ex slave trader turned minister and a suicidally depressed man who wrote hymns for therapy named Cooper like 'God works in mysterious ways his wonders to behold'

The Super Epic Psalms - How the Longest Psalms Point to Jesus

whirlingmerc

Here is a song from the writer of Amazing Grace

'Come my soul they suit prepare' the music updated by Matthew Forman words by John Newton

David T

Premium Member
"Suzanne" by Leonard Cohen.
I find your complete lack of theological background spot on;!!!!!

"Suzanne takes you down to her place near the river
You can hear the boats go by, you can spend the night forever
And you know that she's half-crazy but that's why you want to be there"

How true. I have said women are nuts and as men we insist upon it. Why if they weren't, it would be like hanging out with a dude!

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I find your complete lack of theological background spot on;!!!!!

"Suzanne takes you down to her place near the river
You can hear the boats go by, you can spend the night forever
And you know that she's half-crazy but that's why you want to be there"

How true. I have said women are nuts and as men we insist upon it. Why if they weren't, it would be like hanging out with a dude!

It's the second verse that I was thinking of...

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I've never been crazy about songs that refer to us as worms or wretches. People would find it appalling to hear a parent refer to their own children as a worm or a wretch. I don't think God would want us to refer to ourselves that way either, since we're His children. Maybe it's just me, but "worm"? Really?

Another is "More Holiness Give me" . The original song had just Jenny Phillips a piano and a small choir. This latest version has Mormon leaders inserting themselves into the mix in a way that angers me.
I get that, but don't you think that it's how you see the LDS leadership that's what really bothers you? I mean was there something specific that they said that angered you or just that they were part of the video at all.

Ellen Brown

I've never been crazy about songs that refer to us as worms or wretches. People would find it appalling to hear a parent refer to their own children as a worm or a wretch. I don't think God would want us to refer to ourselves that way either, since we're His children. Maybe it's just me, but "worm"? Really?

I get that, but don't you think that it's how you see the LDS leadership that's what really bothers you? I mean was there something specific that they said that angered you or just that they were part of the video at all.

For me, it disrupted what was once a very relaxing song that was a major factor in my belief. The other part is "men" and I do not have a good history, and when I hear a man's voice, I hear menace in it, and then they DID menace and hurt me. I don't hold anger against them, but trust them, like ever, no.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
For me, it disrupted what was once a very relaxing song that was a major factor in my belief. The other part is "men" and I do not have a good history, and when I hear a man's voice, I hear menace in it, and then they DID menace and hurt me. I don't hold anger against them, but trust them, like ever, no.
I can understand that.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The 63 Tamil Nayanar saints, and in particular 4 famous ones around the 4th century, composed a series of hymns in praise of Siva. Of these the child saint Sambandar was probably the most famous. The best, when sung alone, without any musical accompaniment, just hit me, although I don't understand a single word. The temple I attend regularly has an individual or two who can really sing these ancient songs with devotion. There is a profession of 'temple singer' in Tamil Nadu to this day. It's part of any festival, any larger ritual for an individual selected by the priest to stand and sing a solo during the worship. It often brings tears to my eyes, so hauntingly beautiful for me personally.

The background music in this video is an example.

David T

Premium Member
It's the second verse that I was thinking of...
that song and leonard in general is wowzer.

He sings the hallelujah unlike anyone else. Most sing it like jeff buckley as a praise song. he sings it as a musician and it's really subtle in how he shifts back and forth from, lecturing to expressing. he is one of my favs.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
since this is a religious forum, I want to share my favorite religious song:

Have a super duper day.
I can't help but think of this favorite pop classic from the days gone by ......

The Lord's Prayer sung by Sister Janet Mead. 1973

Boy does it ever bring back fond memories for me.