• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My favorite prayer that I miss: The Rosary

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I just looked at that link...wow! So much to learn. My friends have taught me a few things, but this is really thorough. I want to learn more about this.

This part from the link I thought was especially interesting:
That is why the Prophet Salla Allahu ta'ala 'alayhi wa Sallam said, “What I fear most for my Community is the hidden polytheism.” He feared for his community not the outward polytheism of idol-worship, for he was informed by God that his community was protected from that forever, but the secret polytheism, which is to do something for the sake of showing-off.

I've always viewed most Muslims as not showy, and very humble. I don't know if there is divinity out there, but I'd like to explore the prayer life here. Relating to what you said above about the many Muslims avoiding that practice. Yes! I read that tonight, and even in the comments under that video, someone is mentioning 'versions' of Islam. Are there versions of Islam, like denominations in Christianity? I've never really considered that.

You just have two major versions of Islam which is Sunniyyah(Sunni) and Shi'atu Ali(Shi'ism). Shi'ism is a very small group with Sunni being well over 70% of the norm last I recall. Under these branches you have madhab which are not sects but schools of law since Islam operates entirely by legalism (this is my main complaint with some of Islam by the way). Underneath Sunniyyah you have the Malikies, Hanbalies, and Hanafis; I am missing a few but those are the major. With Shi'iyah you have the Twelvers, Isma'ilis, and so forth. Shia Islam is split way much more than Sunni and is different in its sub divisions altogether.
The subdivisions primarily on a Sunni basis just have different ethical systems and slightly different manners of practice than other schools of fiqh(jurisprudence). One madhab is known for not folding the hands during prayer for example. A lot of it is trivial stuff to be honest.

The differences between the two major groups on a theological aspect is that Sunnis have loose orthodoxy but Shias are strict and have a super strong Catholic approach to their deen(religion/path) in that you have imams who dictate things and are deemed divinely infallible like the pope.

Sufism can overlap both Sunni and Shia by the way and it has various orders which often times can be deemed heretical or bid'ah(innovative) in Islam.

You're feeling Islamic...haha I'm glad you are sharing this!

I'm listening to that video again. hehe I just love it.

I feel soooo weird praying to Allah right now :confused:. But who cares, he is made up :D. I know many atheist are gonna hate me for what I do

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
This might be a dumb question Sha, but do women also follow those same instructions for prayer?

Almost the same except they must cover their heads during prayer (slightly different rules of fiqh on this depending on madhabb) and they have to sit a bit differently in jalsah(sitting) and sujud(prostration).
Women must be modest and their clothes should not fall upon their lady parts.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
This might be a dumb question Sha, but do women also follow those same instructions for prayer?

Sajdah_Back.jpg

This is sujud and as you can see the legs are tucked under so their tushies won't be showing too much.
That is about it. Just modesty restrictions

Deidre

You just have two major versions of Islam which is Sunniyyah(Sunni) and Shi'atu Ali(Shi'ism). Shi'ism is a very small group with Sunni being well over 70% of the norm last I recall. Under these branches you have madhab which are not sects but schools of law since Islam operates entirely by legalism (this is my main complaint with some of Islam by the way). Underneath Sunniyyah you have the Malikies, Hanbalies, and Hanafis; I am missing a few but those are the major. With Shi'iyah you have the Twelvers, Isma'ilis, and so forth. Shia Islam is split way much more than Sunni and is different in its sub divisions altogether.
The subdivisions primarily on a Sunni basis just have different ethical systems and slightly different manners of practice than other schools of fiqh(jurisprudence). One madhab is known for not folding the hands during prayer for example. A lot of it is trivial stuff to be honest.

The differences between the two major groups on a theological aspect is that Sunnis have loose orthodoxy but Shias are strict and have a super strong Catholic approach to their deen(religion/path) in that you have imams who dictate things and are deemed divinely infallible like the pope.

Sufism can overlap both Sunni and Shia by the way and it has various orders which often times can be deemed heretical or bid'ah(innovative) in Islam.

I feel soooo weird praying to Allah right now :confused:. But who cares, he is made up :D. I know many atheist are gonna hate me for what I do

Your secret is safe with us here. :D

Perhaps, we are not comfortable without a prayer life of some sort. I don't miss anything really about theism, except for prayer. It grounded me, made me feel whole, at times. I was exploring Buddhism for a bit, the meditative practice I loved, but there was something about it that I didn't like...it felt theistic at times. I would like to explore Islam prayer, but I don't agree with legalism, or stringent styles of worship, per se. I don't even believe that a god can be proven...but can prayer life still be meaningful aside from that? Perhaps. I would not make a good Shia, but perhaps a Sunni. :p

Listening to that video, I felt calm, and that feeling of wholeness, as I closed my eyes and tried to empty my thoughts.

Almost the same except they must cover their heads during prayer (slightly different rules of fiqh on this depending on madhabb) and they have to sit a bit differently in jalsah(sitting) and sujud(prostration).
Women must be modest and their clothes should not fall upon their lady parts.

Well...that's out. haha jk!

When I have dinner with my friends at one of their mother's houses (she cooks for us)...they like me to wear hijab, as they think I look pretty with it on. haha They are silly. :)

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Your secret is safe with us here. :D

Perhaps, we are not comfortable without a prayer life of some sort. I don't miss anything really about theism, except for prayer. It grounded me, made me feel whole, at times. I was exploring Buddhism for a bit, the meditative practice I loved, but there was something about it that I didn't like...it felt theistic at times. I would like to explore Islam prayer, but I don't agree with legalism, or stringent styles of worship, per se. I don't even believe that a god can be proven...but can prayer life still be meaningful aside from that? Perhaps. I would not make a good Shia, but perhaps a Sunni. :p

I understand your need for prayer, I am exactly no different but in my case I would define it as worship since I do not seek supplication.

When I became a Qur'anist Muslim I was not satisfied with just the Qur'an and went on my own path and professed to be a Bid'ahiyyah (Innovationism) which meant I was openly heretical :D.
I cursed Muhammad's name and prayed to Allah and on top of this I realized that Allah predates Islam and is as pagan as apple pie. So yeah, you can pray to Allah and have no affiliations to Islam. Malaysians and Indonesias are perfect examples of this along with Baha'is.

Listening to that video, I felt calm, and that feeling of wholeness, as I closed my eyes and tried to empty my thoughts.

Well...that's out. haha jk!

When I have dinner with my friends at one of their mother's houses (she cooks for us)...they like me to wear hijab, as they think I look pretty with it on. haha They are silly. :)

You do know they are trying stealth conversion right? This is something taught by a lot of new Muslims int he west. It is a form of Daw'ah(Islamic missionary work) and it is being reformed in England a lot thanks to current Daw'ah movements. Stealth conversion or assimilation is one such tactic.

Pretty soon you will be goin' masha'allah on me all the time :p.

I would really love to visit one of my local masjids next week. Would be sooo much fun :p. See if I can visit for Dhuhr or Asr prayers :confused:.

Best prayer though it Witr Salat because it is done after Isha(last prayer). My favorite thing to do was go outside in my backyard in the pitch black and do it at night under star light :D.

Last edited:

Deidre

I understand your need for prayer, I am exactly no different but in my case I would define it as worship since I do not seek supplication.

When I became a Qur'anist Muslim I was not satisfied with just the Qur'an and went on my own path and professed to be a Bid'ahiyyah (Innovationism) which meant I was openly heretical :D.
I cursed Muhammad's name and prayed to Allah and on top of this I realized that Allah predates Islam and is as pagan as apple pie. So yeah, you can pray to Allah and have no affiliations to Islam. Malaysians and Indonesias are perfect examples of this along with Baha'is.

You do know they are trying stealth conversion right? This is something taught by a lot of new Muslims int he west. It is a form of Daw'ah(Islamic missionary work) and it is being reformed in England a lot thanks to current Daw'ah movements. Stealth conversion or assimilation is one such tactic.

Pretty soon you will be goin' masha'allah on me all the time :p.

I would really love to visit one of my local masjids next week. Would be sooo much fun :p. See if I can visit for Dhuhr or Asr prayers :confused:.

Best prayer though it Witr Salat because it is done after Isha(last prayer). My favorite thing to do was go outside in my backyard in the pitch black and do it at night under star light :D.

How beautiful to pray under star light! :)

I have an atheist friend in offline life, who is at odds with me right now, over my ‘’defense’’ of Islam, as not being responsible for the violence we are seeing unfold in the news. I explain it is extremists that we need to focus on, not Islam. I don’t know why, but perhaps it is because I have such loving Muslim friends who have been dear to me, that I see their side of things—plus how they honor Islam is quite inspiring.

I may not find any religion to be proof of a God, but…I can still find value in all of them…even Christianity. ^_^

I’m going to pray as best as I can tonight, the rak’ah? (just that part) Do I have that right? With meditative music.

But, I must say it in English. Lol

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
How beautiful to pray under star light! :)

I have an atheist friend in offline life, who is at odds with me right now, over my ‘’defense’’ of Islam, as not being responsible for the violence we are seeing unfold in the news. I explain it is extremists that we need to focus on, not Islam. I don’t know why, but perhaps it is because I have such loving Muslim friends who have been dear to me, that I see their side of things—plus how they honor Islam is quite inspiring.

I may not find any religion to be proof of a God, but…I can still find value in all of them…even Christianity. ^_^

I’m going to pray as best as I can tonight, the rak’ah? (just that part) Do I have that right? With meditative music.

But, I must say it in English. Lol

Rak'ah is just one unit, the most a standard prayer can reach is just 4 although Witr can be more :D

How to Perform Salah

I can't believe you are actually acting like a little Muslim, this is so adorable. Also about the whole Islam and extremism aspect you are arguing about. It is an uphill battle facing Zeus. Take it from somebody who has been a Muslim and took the time to study al-Qur'an :confused:. Lots of Muslims are nice and many are VERY two faced and arguing about the peace of Islam cannot be said when arguing about Muslims.
Muslims make different Islams all the time. This is why they fabricated the books know as ahadith and formed al-Kittub al-Sittah

Deidre

@ Sha:

Do you pray morning prayers? (Dua?)
I have a question on that...what does it mean in Islam "there is no partner" to God? (Allah)

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
@ Sha:

Do you pray morning prayers? (Dua?)
I have a question on that...what does it mean in Islam "there is no partner" to God? (Allah)

Morning worship is are called Fajr. Dua means to ask from god and salah means to worship.

When the Qur'an says "no partners" it means no polytheism. Many ancient Arabians formed a henotheistic system or other systems of polytheism where they assigned people as equal to god. This is where Shias for example get a lot of hat by Sunnis since many of them claim Muhammad is sinless thus making him god-like. This is why in the Shahada the main statement is that "there is no God but God." No gods.

On top of this you cannot make a prophet like Jesus(Isa) divine like Christians have done

Deidre

Morning worship is are called Fajr. Dua means to ask from god and salah means to worship.

When the Qur'an says "no partners" it means no polytheism. Many ancient Arabians formed a henotheistic system or other systems of polytheism where they assigned people as equal to god. This is where Shias for example get a lot of hat by Sunnis since many of them claim Muhammad is sinless thus making him god-like. This is why in the Shahada the main statement is that "there is no God but God." No gods.

On top of this you cannot make a prophet like Jesus(Isa) divine like Christians have done

Okay, I sort of knew that about fajr, and dua...so then a 'collection of dua' is a collection of supplications? Do you pray the supplication prayers? I read them this morning, I found a great website to offer me an English translation, next to the Arabic. I was so happy. lol I was like...I can't pray very well here if everything is in Arabic. Every youtube video showing prayers was in English partly, but not when it came to the actual prayers.

I should get my friends to teach me the prayers in Arabic. :) It's not an easy language, if you ask me, to learn.

Thank you for explaining what I asked...the first thing that came to mind was Jesus, and the attachment of divinity to him, through Christianity.

Thank you, kind sir for your time with all of this. :) I will let you know how my nighttime pray goes.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Okay, I sort of knew that about fajr, and dua...so then a 'collection of dua' is a collection of supplications? Do you pray the supplication prayers?
A dua is simply a prayer, does not imply a collection although many Muslims have collected the duas of other well known Muslims.
Duas can be said in any language but are best left personal.

If I do a dua it is usually for something selfless. I usually prayed for inspiration to be a better Muslim :cool:

I read them this morning, I found a great website to offer me an English translation, next to the Arabic. I was so happy. lol I was like...I can't pray very well here if everything is in Arabic. Every youtube video showing prayers was in English partly, but not when it came to the actual prayers.

I am gonna do a picture to word translation of the movements for you if I can't find a good site for you.

I should get my friends to teach me the prayers in Arabic. :) It's not an easy language, if you ask me, to learn.

Arabic and especially Qur'anic Arabic is easy if you ask me.

Thank you for explaining what I asked...the first thing that came to mind was Jesus, and the attachment of divinity to him, through Christianity.

Thank you, kind sir for your time with all of this. :) I will let you know how my nighttime pray goes.

*crosses fingers and toes* ^_^

Deidre

omg, Sha before I forget. lol I have to tell you this. :p

I called up one of my Muslim friends and asked her how to cover my hair and body for prayer...should I use a sheet, I asked? So she said a sheet would work...but then she pauses and says...'waaaait a minute, what are you doing?' And I told her I'm trying to pray 5x a day, to understand Islam more, and she screamed so loudly into the phone...like a squeeeeeee! hahahaha I laughed. I said, 'you're so weird.'

Needless to say, she's excited. lol I told her to calm down, Islam prayer is hard work...we will see how I do. :p

In truth, I'm determined to work up to 5x a day.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
I found this tonight and posted it in the Muslim music thread, it's very meditative...beautiful...

Oh boy, this brings back fond memories of doing zikr. I was also taught to do the "the Turn" by a Mevlevi sufi shaykh.

Last edited:

nazz

Doubting Thomas
omg, Sha before I forget. lol I have to tell you this. :p

I called up one of my Muslim friends and asked her how to cover my hair and body for prayer...should I use a sheet, I asked? So she said a sheet would work...but then she pauses and says...'waaaait a minute, what are you doing?' And I told her I'm trying to pray 5x a day, to understand Islam more, and she screamed so loudly into the phone...like a squeeeeeee! hahahaha I laughed. I said, 'you're so weird.'

Needless to say, she's excited. lol I told her to calm down, Islam prayer is hard work...we will see how I do. :p

In truth, I'm determined to work up to 5x a day.
This is a quite surprising and unexpected development!

I'm glad I had my experience with Islam even if ultimately I found it was not the path for me. At least I have an insider understanding of the religion and can fight Islamophobia with that!

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة

I'm glad I had my experience with Islam even if ultimately I found it was not the path for me. At least I have an insider understanding of the religion and can fight Islamophobia with that!

Islamiphobia is not a phobia! We must fight the A'rabs! :mad:
They go boom to much :mad::mad:

Deidre

haha Well, I've been seriously wrestling with a void for the past year. I don't think I realized how impactful my grandmother's illness and death was going to be for me. It wasn't until she became very ill last year that I sort of came undone...have been in this off and on fog ever since. And she died a few weeks ago, and the fog got heavier. She was a devout Catholic, and didn't like the fact that I was 'calling myself' an atheist. lol

I still don't believe that any religion has all the answers, or is any closer to the truth than an atheist...honestly. But, there are practices, rituals, traditions, stories, and spirituality that bring me comfort. Atheism didn't provide me with comfort when I lost my grandmother. And maybe that sounds like I'm weak, but...I'm just being honest.

In other news...you practiced Islam, that's cool! I'm glad you seem to be happy on the path you're on, now...yes? :)