• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My favorite prayer that I miss: The Rosary

Deidre

white_rosary_beads_in_howlite_gemstone_and_silver_98d79946.jpg

At one time, when I was a practicing Catholic...I adored this prayer. The idea of asking Mary, who carried the Savior of the World...to pray for me? To intercede for me? Brought immense comfort. This is my mother's and was my grandmother's favorite prayer. :heart:

Do you have a favorite prayer? Have you left faith, and miss certain prayers? I also find my Muslim friends' devotion to their prayer life to be extremely inspirational.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
OMG!!

You and I were typing up a thread on the Rosary at the same time. I kid you not!

WOW!

I just submitted it and saw your thread. The Spirit was moving us in the same way at the same time.

EDIT: The Rosary is my favorite prayer. I was given one within the hour that your grandmother died. I hold it at night and pray prayers on the bead and it stills my mind. Holding my Rosary is like holding the hands of mother mary.

Im amazed at how something so little as holding the rosary and making short prayers on the beads is helping me remain calm and focused.

I don't always pray hail marys on the beads but other short prayers on them.

Deidre

That is weird. 0_o

I have a set of Rosary beads that sit on my nightstand, untouched for a while now. I put all other religious things away, including my Bible...out of sight. lol But, I can't bring myself to stuffing these in a drawer. Hmmm...

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Ya know...i wonder if you and I began our threads within the same minute...but mine was submitted five minutes later because it was so long lol.

Call me superstitious but I don't think this was coincidence ;):babyangel:

Deidre

Ya know...i wonder if you and I began our threads within the same minute...but mine was submitted five minutes later because it was so long lol.

Call me superstitious but I don't think this was coincidence ;):babyangel:

Hmmm...what might it mean?
I used to believe in 'signs' ...y'know. ;)

nazz

Doubting Thomas
white_rosary_beads_in_howlite_gemstone_and_silver_98d79946.jpg

At one time, when I was a practicing Catholic...I adored this prayer. The idea of asking Mary, who carried the Savior of the World...to pray for me? To intercede for me? Brought immense comfort. This is my mother's and was my grandmother's favorite prayer. :heart:

Do you have a favorite prayer? Have you left faith, and miss certain prayers? I also find my Muslim friends' devotion to their prayer life to be extremely inspirational.
I like to pray the Lord's Prayer in the original Aramaic

nazz

Doubting Thomas
That is weird. 0_o

I have a set of Rosary beads that sit on my nightstand, untouched for a while now. I put all other religious things away, including my Bible...out of sight. lol But, I can't bring myself to stuffing these in a drawer. Hmmm...
anyway, what's stopping you from praying the rosary?

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I am rather found of as-Salat which is the standard Islamic act of worship. Fajr was my favorite because it was done so early in the morning. I would always recite surat al-Fatiha and al-Iqlas. But for some reason I always had issues remembering to recite Assalatul-Ibrihimiyyah as it felt against my nature to honor men in such a fascist manner. It kept giving me Christian vibes on how they worship Jesus.
When I switch to Qur'anism eventually I had an excuse not to memorize Tashahhud along with Assalatul Ibrihimmiya. I guess I took a lazy way out of it :D.
I still loved the experience of it and the implication it had. I prefer Witr prayer the most by the way even though it was not mandatory

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
[QUOTEis ="Deidre, post: 4118075, member: 55994"]At one time, when I was a practicing Catholic...I adored this prayer.[/QUOTE]

What is stopping you from praying?
You could pray a rosary, go on a vision quest and practice yoga, all at the same time if it suited you. There is no supernatural power giving you orders.

Tom

Deidre

I like to pray the Lord's Prayer in the original Aramaic

that is really cool :)
[QUOTEis ="Deidre, post: 4118075, member: 55994"]At one time, when I was a practicing Catholic...I adored this prayer.

What is stopping you from praying?
You could pray a rosary, go on a vision quest and practice yoga, all at the same time if it suited you. There is no supernatural power giving you orders.

Tom[/QUOTE]

I've thought about this, but doesn't one need to at least believe in the power of intercessory prayer? (for it to be meaningful in the instance of the Rosary, for example) I don't believe like I once did, but maybe I'm rather agnostic about things like this, now.

I am rather found of as-Salat which is the standard Islamic act of worship. Fajr was my favorite because it was done so early in the morning. I would always recite surat al-Fatiha and al-Iqlas. But for some reason I always had issues remembering to recite Assalatul-Ibrihimiyyah as it felt against my nature to honor men in such a fascist manner. It kept giving me Christian vibes on how they worship Jesus.
When I switch to Qur'anism eventually I had an excuse not to memorize Tashahhud along with Assalatul Ibrihimmiya. I guess I took a lazy way out of it :D.
I still loved the experience of it and the implication it had. I prefer Witr prayer the most by the way even though it was not mandatory

Hai Sha :) So you followed Islam at one point? Do you keep in stride with any of the prayers anymore?
I've always found my friends who are Muslim (moved here from Syria) their prayer life...to be so inspiring.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Hai Sha :) So you followed Islam at one point? Do you keep in stride with any of the prayers anymore?
I've always found my friends who are Muslim (moved here from Syria) their prayer life...to be so inspiring.

I thought it was common knowledge I am a former Muslim considering I rant about it so much. I had been a Muslim for almost 2 years. I of course became increasingly liberal until I quit.
I do not keep in stride with any of the prayers but oddly enough I sometimes try seeing if I can remember it since all the prayers are done in Arabic. Last night I made an attempt and have forgotten almost all of it including the 2 main suwar used in the typical salah.
The most important surah for any Muslim is surat al-Fatiha and I have forgotten it :confused:.

When I left Islam though I still prayed extremely similar since it was habitual for me and still is. I even did a Hindunized version of as-Salat but I threw away the papers so I do not have it anymore.

You would be surprised by how meditative as-Salat can be but this is of nos urprise considering how ritualistic it is.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I've thought about this, but doesn't one need to at least believe in the power of intercessory prayer? (for it to be meaningful in the instance of the Rosary, for example)

No, it only has to be meaningful to you.

Works is... works.
:)

There is no God who cares and the humans claiming to speak for God are deluded.

Tom

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
That is a beautiful rosary. I have four or five of them. When I joined the Church three years ago (edit: wait four years ago, its 2015.. time goes fast), people were giving me rosaries and hugs left and right. I don't practice now, but I do miss the devotional part of Catholicism.

As for favorite prayers, I like the common St. Francis of Assisi prayer, "Lord, Make me an instrument of your peace..." I liked Hail Mary because as I was trying to understand the Christian view of God, I leaned more through Christ's Mother. Since my mother raised me, that's the best way I can relate. I can't think of any other prayers at the moment. The Lord's Prayer is good especially during Mass.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I thought it was common knowledge I am a former Muslim considering I rant about it so much. I had been a Muslim for almost 2 years. I of course became increasingly liberal until I quit.
I do not keep in stride with any of the prayers but oddly enough I sometimes try seeing if I can remember it since all the prayers are done in Arabic. Last night I made an attempt and have forgotten almost all of it including the 2 main suwar used in the typical salah.
The most important surah for any Muslim is surat al-Fatiha and I have forgotten it :confused:.

When I left Islam though I still prayed extremely similar since it was habitual for me and still is. I even did a Hindunized version of as-Salat but I threw away the papers so I do not have it anymore.

You would be surprised by how meditative as-Salat can be but this is of nos urprise considering how ritualistic it is.
Can you start a thread about your leaving Islam and why? And what struggles you may have gone through in making that decision?

Anyway, I like the wooden rosaries personally that dont have the metalic chains. They last longer without breaking.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Anyway, I like the wooden rosaries personally that dont have the metalic chains. They last longer without breaking.

True. I had a wooden rosary hooked by chains. You could have sworn I got it from the Vatican itself. (I only got it in DC Catholic
University)... the crucifix popped off. I threw away the chain... I never did throw away the crucifix (thank gosh, right?).. I think it's still tucked away.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Can you start a thread about your leaving Islam and why? And what struggles you may have gone through in making that decision?

People keep asking me to make a post on why I left Islam and I have never gone in depth about it and I absolutely refuse to talk about it. In all honesty I feel entirely ashamed about talking about why I ever became a Muslim. I have issues just mentioning I was a Muslim or referencing my past and to this very day only a select few know the precise details about it.

I will keep it at that.

Eliab ben Benjamin

Premium Member
My favourite Prayers are the 23rd Psalm, a hymn How great thou art i do leave out the modern Xian influence that in some versions adds Y'shua to it...... :)

Deidre

That is a beautiful rosary. I have four or five of them. When I joined the Church three years ago (edit: wait four years ago, its 2015.. time goes fast), people were giving me rosaries and hugs left and right. I don't practice now, but I do miss the devotional part of Catholicism.
That's it, Carlita...the devotionals I miss. I crack on the RCC quite a bit, but there is a lot of beauty within its robust tradition and rituals. I never really viewed being an atheist, but also remaining prayerful in some way.

As for favorite prayers, I like the common St. Francis of Assisi prayer, "Lord, Make me an instrument of your peace..." I liked Hail Mary because as I was trying to understand the Christian view of God, I leaned more through Christ's Mother. Since my mother raised me, that's the best way I can relate. I can't think of any other prayers at the moment. The Lord's Prayer is good especially during Mass.

Aw, that is so beautiful! I always thought that Mary was what it meant to be truly feminine. She wasn't a shrinking violet by any stretch, like some may think...she seemed strong in her diligent devotion to God. I prayed the Rosary even after I deconverted from Christianity, but had a hard time with it, when I stopped believing that she was impregnated by the holy spirit. In this case...Ignorance is bliss, Carlita. ^_^ Thank you for sharing this with us.
:)

People keep asking me to make a post on why I left Islam and I have never gone in depth about it and I absolutely refuse to talk about it. In all honesty I feel entirely ashamed about talking about why I ever became a Muslim. I have issues just mentioning I was a Muslim or referencing my past and to this very day only a select few know the precise details about it.

I will keep it at that.
Well, you know Sha...sometimes we are drawn to different practices, faiths and religions in our lives and then...we spend time on those things, and we grow...and we realize...we don't need these things. For me, my faith was my WHOLE WORLD. My whole being. Everyone knew me as a devout Christian. And when I left the faith, I lost a few friends over it, I think they were more distraught than me. lol But, I'll say...you have to be true to you, Sha. I'm glad you are now. Don't feel ashamed. It helped you become who you are, that experience. ((hugs))

Ok, these quotes are all jumbled up lol

I'm wondering if I can try to pray as-Salat? My Muslim friends have asked me for a while to pray with them, they will teach me. I have always said no, and they respect it...but they keep after me haha I think lately, this past year...my grandmother being sick and then she died...2014 shook me a little, as an atheist. I missed prayer for the first time in a few years. I'm open to other people's prayers...I noticed on youtube there are demonstrations as to how to pray this.

Thank you for sharing all you have, Sha! You're awesome. :)

Deidre

My favourite Prayers are the 23rd Psalm, a hymn How great thou art i do leave out the modern Xian influence that in some versions adds Y'shua to it...... :)
Thank you for your post! You know, I don't know many Jewish prayers...I've had many Jewish friends in my childhood and a few in my life now, but the Jewish faith has always seemed rather mystifying to me. Deep and devoted. May I ask ...do you believe that a Messiah is yet to come? Is that a major tenet of your faith?

Ok...another prayer that's come to mind...that I used to pray, and sometimes miss...

Chaplet of the Divine Mercy, said every day at 3pm to honor Jesus' death upon the cross.

The Divine Mercy Message from the Marians of the Immaculate Conception

Hmmm....this could be a close runner up to the Rosary. ha ^_^

Eliab ben Benjamin

Premium Member
Thank you for your post! You know, I don't know many Jewish prayers...I've had many Jewish friends in my childhood and a few in my life now, but the Jewish faith has always seemed rather mystifying to me. Deep and devoted. May I ask ...do you believe that a Messiah is yet to come? Is that a major tenet of your faith?

I think the problem between Xianity and Judaism is our entirely different concept of the role of the
Messiach .... first he is only a man ... not in any way deity, he has a specific set of tasks ..
none of which the son of Mary and Joseph completed ..... so yes we still await him, and he has not yet
come ....

and no it is far from a tenant of our faith, in fact "faith" is also a somewhat alien concept....
perhaps the commandments and the Shema ... are the tenants of Judaism ???

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates."

Deuteronomy 6:4 onwards ....
Ie: live by all the commandments of G-d ........