• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My experience with prayers rendered for remedy

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
Whenever we face tough situations in life, we all tend to pray for remedy.

At times, we also pray to different gods.......... because various gods are famous for this and that.... specific gods are known for specific kinds of remedies.

For example, though my ishta is Sri Krishna, when I suspect I'm suffering for black magic (just consider this for the sake of this discussion), I turn to Narasimha or Pratyangira for remedy because they specialize in these specific results.

Like that, I turned so far several times to various deities for 'parihara' (remedy).

My experience with other devatas has been disheartening, to say the least.

All the times I worshiped anyone other than my own ishta, I never had success with any of my endeavors so far.

This made me think deeply.... and I realized though I prayed to all with belief, trust and 'shraddha' (conviction and dedication), I did not really have the 'love' for them. I only went to them out of necessity and did not truly long for them.

May be that is why, none of my other prayers were granted. Gods could sense my lack of true love for them, and despite my pitiful prayers, turned deaf ears to me.

Which is why, these days, I strictly pray to my ishta only.

The above are my thoughts on the topic. If you have experience praying to other deities for remedy and have thoughts, please add here.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Whenever we face tough situations in life, we all tend to pray for remedy.

At times, we also pray to different gods.......... because various gods are famous for this and that.... specific gods are known for specific kinds of remedies.

For example, though my ishta is Sri Krishna, when I suspect I'm suffering for black magic (just consider this for the sake of this discussion), I turn to Narasimha or Pratyangira for remedy because they specialize in these specific results.

Like that, I turned so far several times to various deities for 'parihara' (remedy).

My experience with other devatas has been disheartening, to say the least.

All the times I worshiped anyone other than my own ishta, I never had success with any of my endeavors so far.

This made me think deeply.... and I realized though I prayed to all with belief, trust and 'shraddha' (conviction and dedication), I did not really have the 'love' for them. I only went to them out of necessity and did not truly long for them.

May be that is why, none of my other prayers were granted. Gods could sense my lack of true love for them, and despite my pitiful prayers, turned deaf ears to me.

Which is why, these days, I strictly pray to my ishta only.

The above are my thoughts on the topic. If you have experience praying to other deities for remedy and have thoughts, please add here.

I believe there are certain prayers that Gods won't answer. One, obviously, is if it's adharmic. But that's not it in your case. Another is if it's a stretch outside your karma. Thet's where it gets vague, because who is to know what's within your karma,to be worked out. Obviously we all have karma, and to pray for the total elimination of it isn't answerable. But to reduce it, sure.

It makes sense to only pray to your ishta, if that's what works.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I've found that a heartfelt prayer to a deity I feel love for or from goes a lot farther than a mechanical prayer to a godform I may or may not 'know' well.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
According to what I derived from the Hare Krishna teachings, true prayer should be "selfless", not asking for boons. But if one needs to pray for remedy, it should best be directed to the ishta, too.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
During my theist days, I was a polytheist. All Gods and Goddesses listened to me and all helped. They are my elders and friends even when I have become an atheist. I do not pray, but they are all around me all the time and ready to help me. They have not severed their connection with me. I am, sort of, among the very fortunate people.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
During my theist days, I was a polytheist. All Gods and Goddesses listened to me and all helped. They are my elders and friends even when I have become an atheist. I do not pray, but they are all around me all the time and ready to help me. They have not severed their connection with me. I am, sort of, among the very fortunate people.

I'm genuinely curious. How is it that you acknowledge their existence, even having subjective evidence of their existence, and yet identify as atheist?

Just trying to wrap my head around your views.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Can't I have imaginary elders and friends? I do not invoke them, I do not need their help, but they belong to my culture. Moreover, I am writing it for my fellow Hindus who are theists. So, what I believe (personally) may be different from what I acknowledge (in public). Basically, when I am among the theists of my religion, I humor them. The same may be the case with some people of other religions. They may acknowledge (in public) but not believe it (personally). Personal belief and acknowledgement are two different things. Is not human psychology complex? :D