• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Daughters Teacher

linwood

My 4 year old daughter goes to pre-school 4 days a week.

I know her teacher follows some type of Pagan belief but haven`t as of yet asked her about it.
I know because she has a "Pagan and Proud" bumper sticker on her van as well as a few stickers of faeries which I think are a part of an earth based religion but am pretty ignorant of it.

I am an artist, and as an artist am also an art lover.
It seems to be a habit of artists to trade their work considering it is difficult for most of them to afford each others work.

A couple of years ago I had an artist friend of mine offer to trade for a piece of mine she wanted.
I chose a painting of hers that depicted the profile of a woman in beautiful green blue white earth tones and midnight blue hair with glittering starlight flying out before her.
It is a depiction of Mother Earth and I have always loved the piece.
The woman has one solitary tear running down her cheek.

A month or so ago my 4 year old daughter came home from pre-school, flew into my room and started rummaging through a lot of paintings I haven`t gotten framed or sold yet and pulled this one out screaming the whole time..Mother Earth,Mother earth, Daddy Daddy this is Mother Earth!!!
She was waaaaayyy excited.

I said yes honey it is but how did you figure that out on yoyur own?
She told me her teacher told her, and her teacher told her everything came from Mother Earth and everything belongs to Mother Earth.
Apparently they were reading a storybook.

I found myself unable to argue with this bit of religious insight and agreed that her teacher was right.
We got into a big discussion about how it`s wrong to hurt Mother Earth and what hurts Mother Earth and even that we ourselves are guilty of hurting Mother Earth through the way we live.

This was obviously an epiphany for my 4 year old as she still hasn`t gotten over it.
You don`t dare litter around her now , I heard her yelling at her big brother the other day because he was littering and hurting Mother Earth and she immediately apologised to Mother Earth on her brothers behalf.

I don`t really have a problem with it, in fact I kinda like it.
I`ve always liked this teacher and the fact that she has imparted a bit of her religious dogma on my child bothers me not one bit, in fact I like that it has made her aware of her environment at such an early age.

I know right now she doesn`t understand the symbolism of the painting and the term "Mother" Earth but in time she will so I don`t see any harm here.

My problem is with my own beliefs.

I can guarantee you if she came home telling me her teavcher told her God made the earth and Jesus died for her sins I`d have lost it and let loose on the pre-school.

Am I being hypocritical here or does the fact that this Earth based religious tale meshes with my own beliefs justify my actions?

If anyone can point me to anything that might give me some insight into these faery symbols for an earth based religion I`d be thankful.

hoomer

well its late and I should goto bed,...so I cant comment as much as I'd like...but...what symbols are you talking of? please discribe..as to the other main quandry....I have views..but I should goto bed.....

"IMAGINE PEACE" ---Yoko ono-lennon

standing_on_one_foot

That sort of imagery shows up periodically in storybooks, though...you sure it's from her religion, and not just from a rather common bit of symbolism?

It might be a bit hypocritical if it were more, well, religious, but if all the message is is that we're all "children of this earth" and we need to take care of it, I don't see anything wrong with that. See some stuff that's right with it, really.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
This is a very interesting topic, Linwood. Thank you for being willing to discuss it!

I think that what I would be concerned about would be if the teacher were trying to tell her to worship Mother Earth. Again, maybe I'm biased, but I don't see anything wrong with respecting religious figures, as long as that respect doesn't carry judgement about the gods or goddesses of other religions. (Or, for that matter, judgement on those who don't see the need of proof of divinity.) I know that if I had children and they came home spouting that they should worship Mother Earth and dismiss any other religion as invalid, I would be as hopping mad as if they came home saying the same thing about any other religon.

The symbols on her car might be Amy Brown faeries. Stickers for 'em are sold in many shops nowadays. I don't think they have anything to do with any particular branch of paganism, more just a celebration of the artwork of the pieces she does, and how many people view them as being true to their concept of faeries. Some traditions do work with 'the fey', though.

The artist has a very distinctive style. This is one of my favorite pieces of hers. Is it at all like the one on the teachers car?
wintersolstice.jpg

Scorn

Any belief based in compassion and inclusion cannot be anything but positive, especially on the impressionable. Good on your daughter. I hope she carries it with her forever.

Nick Soapdish

Secret Agent
Linwood, your daughter sounds very bright for a four year old.

If it helps to get my perspective as a Christian, it would not have bothered me one bit if it were my daughter.

robtex

Veteran Member
I gotta say Paganism has a lot of love and pacifism in it. Kinda a neat way for a kid to be shown enviromental issues. Great story Linwood.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Am I being hypocritical here or does the fact that this Earth based religious tale meshes with my own beliefs justify my actions?
I will go on the assumption that this is what meshed with you.

I like that it has made her aware of her environment at such an early age.
If she had come home and said something to the effect of "My teacher told me that God made the earth for us, and we need to take care of it." with the same effect of enviromentalism would you have been mad?

If I was erroneous in my assumption a correction would be appreciated.

linwood

Your assumption is correct.

If she had come home and said something to the effect of "My teacher told me that God made the earth for us, and we need to take care of it." with the same effect of enviromentalism would you have been mad?

No I wouldn`t have been mad.
Irritated a bit but not angry I don`t think.
I would explain that her teacher believed something we didn`t know for sure and that she should make up her own mind eventually.
I think I would have a talk with the teacher one on one considering I don`t want my child indoctrinated into the Christian creation belief.
If she arrives there on here own thats fine.

I don`t think I would take it any farther than that one on one because I don`t really want to be one of those atheists screaming about religious intolerance over something that could be settled so simply.
I also would not want to cause trouble for the teacher at her job.
If the teacher didn`t see my point I`d have to speak to her boss and then start becoming a pain.
But I would reinforce the basis of environmental caretaking the teacher started

Actually this already happened awhile back with one of my daughters little Christian friends saying God made everything and I didn`t lose it like I thought I might.
I just explained it to her as best I could.

That sort of imagery shows up periodically in storybooks, though...you sure it's from her religion, and not just from a rather common bit of symbolism?
It`s her "Pagan and Proud" bumper sticker that leads me to believe she`s Pagan.
The faery stickers lead me to believe she follows some sort of Earth Based religion because I thought certain elementals or familiars were often represented in that way.
I`m unsure of that though.
The reason I think it went beyond the storybook is my childs wealth of information on "Mother Earth" as far as modern environmental hazards go (Cars, factories, litter, water pollution).

There is no reason to think the teacher asserted any belief to be truth to her, it just appears as if she may have used her beliefs as an analogy children might readily grasp.
It worked that way anyway.
:)

I don't think they have anything to do with any particular branch of paganism, more just a celebration of the artwork of the pieces she does, and how many people view them as being true to their concept of faeries. Some traditions do work with 'the fey', though.
Thanks for the clarification feathers, the image you`ve posted isn`t like the ones she has.
I`m just going to stop being so juvenile and simply ask her about her beliefs .
I`m just wary of approaching her because I don`t want her to misunderstand my intent.
I`ll just have to certain I`m clear when speaking to her.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
You have gift for tact, so I'm sure it will go well. If you feel comfortable, I'd love to hear about the discussion.

The faery stickers lead me to believe she follows some sort of Earth Based religion because I thought certain elementals or familiars were often represented in that way.
When combined with the "Pagan and Proud" bumper sticker, I think you've got it exactly. Some people buy them just for decorations, but with the other sticker, it certainly seems to indicate that belief. (And they are represented in that way, in many traditions.)

martha

You stated, "If she arrives there on her own, then that's fine." How will she arrive there without input from others? I am sure you will explain to her that there are many beliefs and she should be open to explore them, in good time.
This particular incident is in my opinion not harmful to her and you handled it well. I think you and your daughter will have many interesting discussions to come.

linwood

martha said:
You stated, "If she arrives there on her own, then that's fine." How will she arrive there without input from others? I am sure you will explain to her that there are many beliefs and she should be open to explore them, in good time.
Yes Martha I will, but I don`t want to indoctrinate her in any way.
One of my fears is that she will accept atheism merely because her daddy does.
I don`t want that.

The stressful part is that when you have a child or are expecting a child you think of all these wonderful ways you will teach them things but you don`t expect to be having in-depth discussions of God and creation as early as 4.
They do have alot of questions.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I had a Chemistry II teacher (Mr James Holt) in the 12th grade who was a professed Christian. Now this was BEFORE the big, big stink about religion in schools. He was pretty up front about the fact that he was a Christian, but that he felt it was wrong to proseletyse his students during school. He did let us know where the note that indicated where his Bible Study was, and that we were welcome to come at any time.

Now realize that my mom was deep into the ACLU, and was dating one of their lawyers (sort of). In fact, she used my name as the plaintiff in a case about free Bibles being handed out in my Jr High. But I was never offended by his remarks and I even went to his Bible Study once (I was UU at the time) and he was not offended that I was pretty disruptive during it.

But I do believe that there are a few that are less tolerant of Christian beliefs. Quite often, we are treated as idiots for our beliefs (like Satan) and are continually told that we believe a lie. Were I to say that to someone else, there would be cries of intolerance. In fact, that I believe in a heaven and hell angers quite a few. What to do? Well, I try to point out the inconsistencies, but more importantly I really try to not become petty becasue of it. I often fail, but my goal is to turn the other cheek.

NetDoc said:
But I do believe that there are a few that are less tolerant of Christian beliefs. Quite often, we are treated as idiots for our beliefs (like Satan) and are continually told that we believe a lie.
Really? You mean like, in your day-to-day life, or on TV and in movies? When I was a Christian, I don't remember ever being treated like an idiot for my beliefs, or told I believe a lie....then I again, I've always lived in the midwest. :)

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Just read the forum Spinks... like the one on Does Satan exist. There is plenty of eveidence of a double standard of tolerance.

Day to day life? I bet most Christians are reticent about sharing what they believe due to the labels others put on them. Peer pressure is HUGE. It's OK to go to church as long as it doesn't interfere with your life. I was publically "disowned" by my mother when I became a Christian. I mean on the radio, she said that the church had stolen me and I was no longer her son. She meant that too. Did I go home preaching "hellfire and brimstone"??? Nope. I just believed that God is really God. Just this last week when I brought my son to visit her in the hospital (she had her shoulder replaced), she tried to get him to promise to NOT follow in my footsteps. No, my son isn't a Christian, and I will never force him to be. That's his choice, not mine.

But the fact of the matter is... people look down on you for really believing. As a test of this, start talking about the existence of Satan to someone, like you really believe he exists. They will start to treat you differently, and maybe even shake their head as they walk away.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Linwood;

First I think you ought to be commended for obviously being a good parent; you reacted very well as (Martha ? I think said). The attitudes of childrens as young as this mirror those of their parents; that says a lot for you - and don't you dare drop any litter - now you and the teacher have planted the seed.........

Hypocrite ? - what on Earth could make you imagine that ?:)

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I think that you're exactly right, NetDoc. It seems like, especially lately, there has been an upsurgence (Ummm... that might not be a word) of being rude to Christians or being tolerant of others being rude to them. Why would anyone, especially those that want their own beliefs to be respected, question anothers' belief?! (Sorry, this is an topic I get angry about.)

Linwood, I'll echo the others in saying that I think you're setting a great example. If I ever have children, I hope to be able to show them examples from each of the worlds religions (that might take a while), including atheism, in order to show what beautiful things diversity in thought can bring us.

NetDoc said:
But the fact of the matter is... people look down on you for really believing. As a test of this, start talking about the existence of Satan to someone, like you really believe he exists. They will start to treat you differently, and maybe even shake their head as they walk away.
I don't know what it's like where you're from, but that certainly wouldn't happen here! :D I can't really relate to what you're saying...I'm not sure I've ever lived in an area where less than 90% of the population was Christian, much less where I ever felt discriminated against.

NetDoc said:
I was publically "disowned" by my mother when I became a Christian.
I'm sorry to hear that, NetDoc. I'm not sure I'll ever understand why a parent would disown his/her child just because of the child's religion, sexual orientation, or whatever. I wish you all the best.

linwood....hmm...I dunno, I would think some parents might be irritated about the whole Mother Earth thing...then again, I remember learning about Mother Earth when I was in school, and it has encouraged me to be environmentally aware. I had no idea it was anything other than a metaphor for the environment, but it appears the vast pagan conspiracy has indoctrinated yet another ususpecting youth! :)

linwood

I had no idea it was anything other than a metaphor for the environment, but it appears the vast pagan conspiracy has indoctrinated yet another ususpecting youth!
It would seem so, maybe thats the reason for all the Happy Pagan dancing going on around here lately.
Their missionary work is succeeding, especially in my household.