• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

my dad is a muslim and my mom is a christian, what faith should follow?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
It seems that the real issue is going to be leveling with you fiancee about your lack of cohesiveness when it comes to faith.

If her Christianity is important to her, she may not consider you a good match long term. If I were counseling her, I would ask her to strongly consider whether or not she could live with someone, and have kids with someone, who does not share the same committment to a common faith.

Then again, it may not be all that important to her - in which case, I would say you may be a perfect match.

If her faith IS important to her, and if she wants to raise her children in the same faith, you may want to consider the idea that the two of you may not be a good match. If you can't support her faith and allow her to raise your children in her faith - well, you better find out what her expectations are before you're in too deep.

Trust me on this one - these issues won't go away. They will only get larger when children are born.

DavyCrocket2003

Thanks. So far i came to the conclusion that both religions are truly honest in guidence and each are the right path tto heaven.

That is truly remarkable! In either case you worship God and strive to follow his commandments. In either case you are judged by what you do in this life. In either case God loves you and will help you draw closer to him as you seek to know and follow his will for you. I believe that Christians and Muslims are worshiping the same God. I believe that the disagreement between Christianity and Islam arises from a departure from truth. It is clear that man made doctrine and traditions have crept into both over time and become accepted as legitimate. The truth is still there, for anyone willing to see it.

Ba'al

First off, I believe the most important factor is that your wife and you should practice the same faith. That said, let's look at the two religions...Christianity does not believe in the quran. However, Islam believes in Jesus and much of the older scripture. So in a sense, Islam is the final form of Judaism and Christianity. Since you already believe the quran is the word of God, it makes more sense that you would practice Islam. I've been to many Christian churches and it might be a little hard to listen to the anti-Islam rhetoric.

DavyCrocket2003

Sorry about posting three times consecutively, but it's not my fault. You guys made a really interesting and response provoking thread. :)

Okay, SG. This is what I think. You believe in God, correct? What do you know about him? That is the important thing. Not what people say he is, but who he actually is. Whatever you and your future wife decide, it must be based on who God is and not based on trying to conform to human definitions. Don't place limits on God. Whenever people do that, they end up missing the boat. Look at the Jews for instance. Jesus didn't fit into their man made ideas and traditions, so they rejected him. Seek to know and understand God better. Follow him. Perhaps you feel that there should be a "right" religion. One that is 100% accurate. Maybe there is one. But don't choose a religion because of wanting to be accepted by other people. Choose a religion based on whether or not it is true. And reject it to the extent that it is not. A scripture in closing:
The Epistle of James said:
5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering.
I promise that God does knows the answers, and he does want us to learn them as well. That is, after all, why we're here. He knows you and will help you.

SG2009

It seems that the real issue is going to be leveling with you fiancee about your lack of cohesiveness when it comes to faith.

If her Christianity is important to her, she may not consider you a good match long term. If I were counseling her, I would ask her to strongly consider whether or not she could live with someone, and have kids with someone, who does not share the same committment to a common faith.

Then again, it may not be all that important to her - in which case, I would say you may be a perfect match.

If her faith IS important to her, and if she wants to raise her children in the same faith, you may want to consider the idea that the two of you may not be a good match. If you can't support her faith and allow her to raise your children in her faith - well, you better find out what her expectations are before you're in too deep.

Trust me on this one - these issues won't go away. They will only get larger when children are born.

exactly, and that's why i don't repeat what my parent did or literally raising confused kids as far religion is in concerned. Now, my mom believes am a christian because she sent to a catholic school in early years of my life; and, my dad also believes that am a muslim because i have a muslim last name (our family name). can u see how am trying to break from this cycle?

SG2009

That is truly remarkable! In either case you worship God and strive to follow his commandments. In either case you are judged by what you do in this life. In either case God loves you and will help you draw closer to him as you seek to know and follow his will for you. I believe that Christians and Muslims are worshiping the same God. I believe that the disagreement between Christianity and Islam arises from a departure from truth. It is clear that man made doctrine and traditions have crept into both over time and become accepted as legitimate. The truth is still there, for anyone willing to see it.

Okay, i agree with u entirely, but tell me, what religious values should teach to my kids in the near future cause am about to tie the knot and have a family. For example, should i name my kids muslim names or christian names in accordance with baptism tradition?

SG2009

First off, I believe the most important factor is that your wife and you should practice the same faith. That said, let's look at the two religions...Christianity does not believe in the quran. However, Islam believes in Jesus and much of the older scripture. So in a sense, Islam is the final form of Judaism and Christianity. Since you already believe the quran is the word of God, it makes more sense that you would practice Islam. I've been to many Christian churches and it might be a little hard to listen to the anti-Islam rhetoric.

Thanks for the reply. first-off i have watched sermon and lecture of the Sister in your avater. I think she's genius but somewhat passive and bored. As far your advise/or suggestion, I think i will lean towards it for more effectiive decision. thank u for stopping by.

SG2009

Sorry about posting three times consecutively, but it's not my fault. You guys made a really interesting and response provoking thread. :)

Okay, SG. This is what I think. You believe in God, correct? What do you know about him? That is the important thing. Not what people say he is, but who he actually is. Whatever you and your future wife decide, it must be based on who God is and not based on trying to conform to human definitions. Don't place limits on God. Whenever people do that, they end up missing the boat. Look at the Jews for instance. Jesus didn't fit into their man made ideas and traditions, so they rejected him. Seek to know and understand God better. Follow him. Perhaps you feel that there should be a "right" religion. One that is 100% accurate. Maybe there is one. But don't choose a religion because of wanting to be accepted by other people. Choose a religion based on whether or not it is true. And reject it to the extent that it is not. A scripture in closing:

I promise that God does knows the answers, and he does want us to learn them as well. That is, after all, why we're here. He knows you and will help you.

Thanks MrDavid for your wise words and advise. I think my problem is being exposed or educated on both religions without any prejudice. i believe it is in this case being "ignorance" or 'prejudice to certain things or information makes the best of us. I couldn't elaborate more but i think it is like handling ambiguity, do you know what i am say?

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
How about choosing neither and haveing your own personal belief,IMO all religions are manmade and all the scriptures were written by Men so how about your own concept of God or a higher being.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
How about choosing neither and haveing your own personal belief,IMO all religions are manmade and all the scriptures were written by Men so how about your own concept of God or a higher being.

Yes, of course the Scriptures were written by men. The only ones that write things down on this planet are men or humankind.

Just as a secretary writes things down for the Boss, the writers wrote things down from the Boss of the Universe.

Even Jesus accepted that all Scripture was written by men because he often prefaced his statements with the words, "It is written....." when referring to the Hebrew OT Scriptures. Even Jesus did not believe in his own concept of God but reasoned on Scriptures on which to base his conclusions about what he believed and why.

DavyCrocket2003

Thanks MrDavid for your wise words and advise. I think my problem is being exposed or educated on both religions without any prejudice. i believe it is in this case being "ignorance" or 'prejudice to certain things or information makes the best of us. I couldn't elaborate more but i think it is like handling ambiguity, do you know what i am say?

Sorry, I'm not sure I get exactly what you are saying. Do you mean, the trick is learning how to deal with disagreement and confusion of all the different voices out there saying "believe this" or "believe that"? This can be a very hard problem to overcome. The trick is to figure out what you know. Use that as a basis, a foundation. Then go from there. No one can gain all knowledge at once. It is a gradual, climbing process. No matter how large a mountain is, you can only climb it one step at a time. Truth is the same way, we can only figure it out one piece at a time. I think truth is like a kind of light. Here we are in the world. We all have differing amounts of this light. The light of truth can be found in any part of the world in any culture or any religion (nearly). But I would say that no one (save perhaps an extreme few) have all the light. The thing we need to do is follow the light, whatever we do. Be true to whatever light we have, and it will grow. Betray and reject the light that we have, and it will diminish.
Doctrine and Covenants 24:24 said:
That which is of God is light; and he that receiveth light, and continueth in God, receiveth more light; and that light groweth brighter and brighter until the perfect day.
I can't tell you exactly what the perfect day will be like when we arrive, but I can feel in my heart that it will be incredible beyond description.

DavyCrocket2003

How about your own concept of God or a higher being.

Yes, how about. I am nearly certain that all of the available descriptions of God fall woefully short at best. I think it's one of those things that no amount of description can hope to give a realistic representation of the thing being described. What we have are hollow images and shadows of who God really is. "For now we see through a glass, darkly."

SG2009

I think people will think that you are crazy or antisocial if you do so. I think at some point in life it is good to "conform" to one institution, don't ya think so?

SG2009

Sorry, I'm not sure I get exactly what you are saying. Do you mean, the trick is learning how to deal with disagreement and confusion of all the different voices out there saying "believe this" or "believe that"? This can be a very hard problem to overcome. The trick is to figure out what you know. Use that as a basis, a foundation. Then go from there. No one can gain all knowledge at once. It is a gradual, climbing process. No matter how large a mountain is, you can only climb it one step at a time. Truth is the same way, we can only figure it out one piece at a time. I think truth is like a kind of light. Here we are in the world. We all have differing amounts of this light. The light of truth can be found in any part of the world in any culture or any religion (nearly). But I would say that no one (save perhaps an extreme few) have all the light. The thing we need to do is follow the light, whatever we do. Be true to whatever light we have, and it will grow. Betray and reject the light that we have, and it will diminish.
I can't tell you exactly what the perfect day will be like when we arrive, but I can feel in my heart that it will be incredible beyond description.

You make a convincing point Dave, i hope the mountain am trying to climb ain;t that high cause i sure don't want to spend my whole life climbing one mountain. I need to get there as quick as a possible, start another one, and leave a legacy behind atleast for my future kids or grandkids to adopt and follow. thanks for the reply...

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I think people will think that you are crazy or antisocial if you do so. I think at some point in life it is good to "conform" to one institution, don't ya think so?

Do you honestly think it is better to ignore any and all truth so that you can "fit in"?
If you do, I honestly feel sorry for you.

SG2009

Do you honestly think it is better to ignore any and all truth so that you can "fit in"?
If you do, I honestly feel sorry for you.

I don't care how much u want to feel sorry for me but i do think "no man is an island of himself in this life." and at some point "truth" does get elusive when it comes to religious issues or faith. We need one another to support each in individual community base and i will rather continue to have that flow of support than struggle on my own with the "truth" that no ones to buy. Yes, conformity can sometime deviate us from the truth but not all the time. I also happen to believe heads could be better one that's why am in favor of the saying "there's no I in a team."

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I don't care how much u want to feel sorry for me but i do think "no man is an island of himself in this life." and at some point "truth" does get elusive when it comes to religious issues or faith. We need one another to support each in individual community base and i will rather continue to have that flow of support than struggle on my own with the "truth" that no ones to buy. Yes, conformity can sometime deviate us from the truth but not all the time. I also happen to believe heads could be better one that's why am in favor of the saying "there's no I in a team."
Appeal to popularity is a logical fallacy.