• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My commentary on Torah - Tanakh - Gospels - Quran.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This is the written account of Adam’s family line.

When God created mankind, he made them in the likeness of God. 2He created them male and female and blessed them. And he named them “Mankind” when they were created.
3When Adam had lived 130 years, he had a son in his own likeness, in his own image; and he named him Seth. 4After Seth was born, Adam lived 800 years and had other sons and daughters. 5Altogether, Adam lived a total of 930 years, and then he died.
6When Seth had lived 105 years, he became the father of Enosh. 7After he became the father of Enosh, Seth lived 807 years and had other sons and daughters. 8Altogether, Seth lived a total of 912 years, and then he died.
9When Enosh had lived 90 years, he became the father of Kenan. 10After he became the father of Kenan, Enosh lived 815 years and had other sons and daughters. 11Altogether, Enosh lived a total of 905 years, and then he died.
12When Kenan had lived 70 years, he became the father of Mahalalel. 13After he became the father of Mahalalel, Kenan lived 840 years and had other sons and daughters. 14Altogether, Kenan lived a total of 910 years, and then he died.
15When Mahalalel had lived 65 years, he became the father of Jared. 16After he became the father of Jared, Mahalalel lived 830 years and had other sons and daughters. 17Altogether, Mahalalel lived a total of 895 years, and then he died.
18When Jared had lived 162 years, he became the father of Enoch. 19After he became the father of Enoch, Jared lived 800 years and had other sons and daughters. 20Altogether, Jared lived a total of 962 years, and then he died.
21When Enoch had lived 65 years, he became the father of Methuselah. 22After he became the father of Methuselah, Enoch walked faithfully with God 300 years and had other sons and daughters. 23Altogether, Enoch lived a total of 365 years. 24Enoch walked faithfully with God; then he was no more, because God took him away.
25When Methuselah had lived 187 years, he became the father of Lamech. 26After he became the father of Lamech, Methuselah lived 782 years and had other sons and daughters. 27Altogether, Methuselah lived a total of 969 years, and then he died.
28When Lamech had lived 182 years, he had a son. 29He named him Noah and said, “He will comfort us in the labor and painful toil of our hands caused by the ground the Lord has cursed.” 30After Noah was born, Lamech lived 595 years and had other sons and daughters. 31Altogether, Lamech lived a total of 777 years, and then he died.
32After Noah was 500 years old, he became the father of Shem, Ham and Japheth.

From my viewpoint, every chosen one had a chosen family. Exactly Twelve Navigators with him.

From this view point, Noah is part of the Ahlulbayt of Adam.

So it's seems Adam chosen Ahlulbayt concept is this->

1. Seth
2. Enosh
3. Kenan
4. Mahahalel
5. Jared
6. Enoch (who was lifted by God to heavens and is still alive)
7. Methuselah
8. Lamech
9. Noah
And so we can assume Noah there would be 3 more connecting to Noah before the lineage would take a break, if the Twelve concept is true.

And so far Noah, 3 more to succeed then a break before the next Ahlulbayt.

This what how I have to see because of the hadiths saying every Prophet had an Ahlulbayt and Twelve Captains formed part of their family. But we'll see the importance of twelve later on in the Torah.

Here we see it's emphasized they all walked with God, and were important enough for God to mention them.

They ones who were of the straight path, God's Image, for humans to follow.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
When human beings began to increase in number on the earth and daughters were born to them, 2the sons of God saw that the daughters of humans were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose. 3Then the Lord said, “My Spirit will not contend with humans forever, for they are mortal; their days will be a hundred and twenty years.”
4The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of humans and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown.
5The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time. 6The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled. 7So the Lord said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them.” 8But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord.

I think the better translation again keeping in mind all the emphasis on exalted ones before, and the talk of the image of God, Seth, "the sons of the exalted ones" refers to the chosen ones, and this why the chapter before emphasized on them being sons of one another. That is Seth born out of Adam and so on and so forth.

The Nephilim just means the fallen, and it's referring to humans having fallen and reference to many fallen souls. Nothing really too mysterious about the word. The heroes of old men of renown doesn't refer to the fallen ones lol, but the sons of exalted ones. It's saying they were made renown and as heroes by God. They were meant to be heroes and famous.

It seems regret can be two kinds:

"You did the wrong thing at that time, and you regret your action"
"You did the wrong thing only from the viewpoint of 20/20 vision of the present", God obviously doesn't do wrong things at a particular time. But he can wish he did something else from the vantagepoint, of if he knew this would happen, he wouldn't have.

Of course, God is aware of all possibilities. But anyways, God plans in real time, and future is always unknown because of free-will. Had he known, we wouldn't have been in this corrupt state.

Noah of course was loved by God. And so any redemption to humans, had to be through him. And this showing the position of God's chosen with rest to us.

God loves them and redeems humans through and they are our saviors.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This is the account of Noah and his family.

Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked faithfully with God. 10Noah had three sons: Shem, Ham and Japheth.
11Now the earth was corrupt in God’s sight and was full of violence. 12God saw how corrupt the earth had become, for all the people on earth had corrupted their ways. 13So God said to Noah, “I am going to put an end to all people, for the earth is filled with violence because of them. I am surely going to destroy both them and the earth. 14So make yourself an ark of cypress wood; make rooms in it and coat it with pitch inside and out. 15This is how you are to build it: The ark is to be three hundred cubits long, fifty cubits wide and thirty cubits high. 16Make a roof for it, leaving below the roof an opening one cubit high all around. Put a door in the side of the ark and make lower, middle and upper decks. 17I am going to bring floodwaters on the earth to destroy all life under the heavens, every creature that has the breath of life in it. Everything on earth will perish. 18But I will establish my covenant with you, and you will enter the ark—you and your sons and your wife and your sons’ wives with you. 19You are to bring into the ark two of all living creatures, male and female, to keep them alive with you. 20Two of every kind of bird, of every kind of animal and of every kind of creature that moves along the ground will come to you to be kept alive. 21You are to take every kind of food that is to be eaten and store it away as food for you and for them.”
22Noah did everything just as God commanded him.

Now verse 18, per Quran and hadiths, what God really said was "he will bring his family", and Noah thought it included all his sons, and so it seemed like God broke his promise, but really God meant family in a different sense. And so the concept of Ahlulbayt is emphasized in that Surah. So this the only disagreement I have and also believers of different lineages boarded the ship but they were a few.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Lord then said to Noah, “Go into the ark, you and your whole family, because I have found you righteous in this generation. 2Take with you seven pairs of every kind of clean animal, a male and its mate, and one pair of every kind of unclean animal, a male and its mate, 3and also seven pairs of every kind of bird, male and female, to keep their various kinds alive throughout the earth. 4Seven days from now I will send rain on the earth for forty days and forty nights, and I will wipe from the face of the earth every living creature I have made.”
5And Noah did all that the Lord commanded him.
6Noah was six hundred years old when the floodwaters came on the earth. 7And Noah and his sons and his wife and his sons’ wives entered the ark to escape the waters of the flood. 8Pairs of clean and unclean animals, of birds and of all creatures that move along the ground, 9male and female, came to Noah and entered the ark, as God had commanded Noah. 10And after the seven days the floodwaters came on the earth.
11In the six hundredth year of Noah’s life, on the seventeenth day of the second month—on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened. 12And rain fell on the earth forty days and forty nights.
13On that very day Noah and his sons, Shem, Ham and Japheth, together with his wife and the wives of his three sons, entered the ark. 14They had with them every wild animal according to its kind, all livestock according to their kinds, every creature that moves along the ground according to its kind and every bird according to its kind, everything with wings. 15Pairs of all creatures that have the breath of life in them came to Noah and entered the ark. 16The animals going in were male and female of every living thing, as God had commanded Noah. Then the Lord shut him in.
17For forty days the flood kept coming on the earth, and as the waters increased they lifted the ark high above the earth. 18The waters rose and increased greatly on the earth, and the ark floated on the surface of the water. 19They rose greatly on the earth, and all the high mountains under the entire heavens were covered. 20The waters rose and covered the mountains to a depth of more than fifteen cubits. 21Every living thing that moved on land perished—birds, livestock, wild animals, all the creatures that swarm over the earth, and all mankind. 22Everything on dry land that had the breath of life in its nostrils died. 23Every living thing on the face of the earth was wiped out; people and animals and the creatures that move along the ground and the birds were wiped from the earth. Only Noah was left, and those with him in the ark.
24The waters flooded the earth for a hundred and fifty days.

There is perhaps a metaphoric meaning to this, that links back to what I said in the beginning about blessed by all things and inner world, and ship is metaphoric, but it maybe literal, and I haven't decided which yet is true. I believe there is many verses in Quran that give a parable meaning to the ship and talks about ships parable wise so much, that it's hard for me to see as literal for that reason, but I understand people without reflecting on all the parables about ships in Quran to take it literally.

Also it wouldn't just be a ship as metaphor but the other words would take on metaphor and explaining all that in my head would get long and complicated. I showed hadiths already that give metaphor to animals with respect to our soul, but I will leave at that, that I'm undecided whether this can be seen as metaphor or must be seen as literal.

In any case, it's for sure, that Noah's people were destroyed.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I will just be brief on that revelation of Noah that is his scripture and each wood piece, would be referring to a verse in his scripture. Miracles shown and with scripture emphasizing and proving the case of Noah.

Animals refers to all types of desires we have and inclinations.

Going on the boat, means, keeping them in control and in confines of the limit of the scripture of Noah and leadership of Noah.

Water from heavens and earth, refers to the reality of the tree of life, when that is exposed, there is no respite, and some punishment comes in physical form. What that punishment was although explicit in people afterward like Sodom and Gomorah, maybe left ambiguous, because God wants us to focus on spiritual reality and the day of judgment type reality.

Although this wasn't that explicit, it comes close, to day of judgment type retribution. And here flooding can be seen that they gain so much knowledge from Noah, but were so drowned in denial, and when it became so apparent to them, and their denial wouldn't cease, they were destroyed spiritually with no way of believing, and so God destroyed them physically (and it would be unknown how).

Given that God can destroy them so many ways, without, animals and need of a physical boat, I think this is a better interpretation for that reason.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But God remembered Noah and all the wild animals and the livestock that were with him in the ark, and he sent a wind over the earth, and the waters receded. 2Now the springs of the deep and the floodgates of the heavens had been closed, and the rain had stopped falling from the sky. 3The water receded steadily from the earth. At the end of the hundred and fifty days the water had gone down, 4and on the seventeenth day of the seventh month the ark came to rest on the mountains of Ararat. 5The waters continued to recede until the tenth month, and on the first day of the tenth month the tops of the mountains became visible.
6After forty days Noah opened a window he had made in the ark 7and sent out a raven, and it kept flying back and forth until the water had dried up from the earth. 8Then he sent out a dove to see if the water had receded from the surface of the ground. 9But the dove could find nowhere to perch because there was water over all the surface of the earth; so it returned to Noah in the ark. He reached out his hand and took the dove and brought it back to himself in the ark. 10He waited seven more days and again sent out the dove from the ark. 11When the dove returned to him in the evening, there in its beak was a freshly plucked olive leaf! Then Noah knew that the water had receded from the earth. 12He waited seven more days and sent the dove out again, but this time it did not return to him.
13By the first day of the first month of Noah’s six hundred and first year, the water had dried up from the earth. Noah then removed the covering from the ark and saw that the surface of the ground was dry. 14By the twenty-seventh day of the second month the earth was completely dry.
15Then God said to Noah, 16“Come out of the ark, you and your wife and your sons and their wives. 17Bring out every kind of living creature that is with you—the birds, the animals, and all the creatures that move along the ground—so they can multiply on the earth and be fruitful and increase in number on it.”
18So Noah came out, together with his sons and his wife and his sons’ wives. 19All the animals and all the creatures that move along the ground and all the birds—everything that moves on land—came out of the ark, one kind after another.
20Then Noah built an altar to the Lord and, taking some of all the clean animals and clean birds, he sacrificed burnt offerings on it. 21The Lord smelled the pleasing aroma and said in his heart: “Never again will I curse the ground because of humans, even though every inclination of the human heart is evil from childhood. And never again will I destroy all living creatures, as I have done.
22“As long as the earth endures,
seedtime and harvest,
cold and heat,
summer and winter,
day and night
will never cease.”

This can be seen that revelation didn't cease, and raven can be a metaphor for some sort of spiritual power Noah has to asses if revelation or explanation (ie. his message) should come to an end. Wood pieces can be scripture + need of explanation and this means revelation of his didn't cease to be revealed after destruction of people but continued.

Sacrificing animals here, can be, again a spiritual thing that leader does with his followers with respect to their desires.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Of course, God's resolve to never again destroy people on the earth means he will do everything he can not to. But Quran says this is possible. Although God doesn't want it to happen, it may happen, and is probably the most dire yet most not payed attention to warning of the Quran.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
God’s Covenant With Noah
1Then God blessed Noah and his sons, saying to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the earth. 2The fear and dread of you will fall on all the beasts of the earth, and on all the birds in the sky, on every creature that moves along the ground, and on all the fish in the sea; they are given into your hands. 3Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.
4“But you must not eat meat that has its lifeblood still in it. 5And for your lifeblood I will surely demand an accounting. I will demand an accounting from every animal. And from each human being, too, I will demand an accounting for the life of another human being.
6“Whoever sheds human blood,
by humans shall their blood be shed;
for in the image of God
has God made mankind.
7As for you, be fruitful and increase in number; multiply on the earth and increase upon it.”
8Then God said to Noah and to his sons with him: 9“I now establish my covenant with you and with your descendants after you 10and with every living creature that was with you—the birds, the livestock and all the wild animals, all those that came out of the ark with you—every living creature on earth. 11I establish my covenant with you: Never again will all life be destroyed by the waters of a flood; never again will there be a flood to destroy the earth.”
12And God said, “This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: 13I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. 14Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, 15I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life. 16Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth.”
17So God said to Noah, “This is the sign of the covenant I have established between me and all life on the earth.”
The Sons of Noah
18The sons of Noah who came out of the ark were Shem, Ham and Japheth. (Ham was the father of Canaan.) 19These were the three sons of Noah, and from them came the people who were scattered over the whole earth.
20Noah, a man of the soil, proceeded to plant a vineyard. 21When he drank some of its wine, he became drunk and lay uncovered inside his tent. 22Ham, the father of Canaan, saw his father naked and told his two brothers outside. 23But Shem and Japheth took a garment and laid it across their shoulders; then they walked in backward and covered their father’s naked body. Their faces were turned the other way so that they would not see their father naked.
24When Noah awoke from his wine and found out what his youngest son had done to him, 25he said,
“Cursed be Canaan!
The lowest of slaves
will he be to his brothers.”
26He also said,
“Praise be to the Lord, the God of Shem!
May Canaan be the slave of Shem.
27May God extend Japheth’s territory;
may Japheth live in the tents of Shem,
and may Canaan be the slave of Japheth.”
28After the flood Noah lived 350 years. 29Noah lived a total of 950 years, and then he died.

It can be seen that God had hopes we would never kill each other again. That God said this time, make sure to not do bloodshed. God also wants the Prophets (a) to succeed as to not destroy the people of the earth again.

Again, Quran shows aside from sons of Noah, there were other believers with Noah though a minority of the world. And this is a disagreement between Quran and Torah.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Since Quran disagrees with the notion only sons of Noah were saved, but rather talks about followers and they being accused of being the lowest of the low of society, and the next chapters are all about how our ancestors are all linked back to one Noah's sons, I will skip all that lol.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In the next post, I will comment without quoting verses (too many verses to quote and I want to comment on them generally) all the way up from here to Genesis 23 (not inclusive).

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The distortion of the Torah per my understanding of Quran comes in the following folds:

1. Great figures like Lot, Ismail, Isaac, Aaron are down played as less important then Abraham, Moses, and others and some Prophets you can't even make up your mind if they are good or not by their actions like Solomon. And Quran tries to clarify, his chosen are righteous like we saw the previous chapters emphasize on Noah being "without blemish or blame".

2. The other is that it took on central people role, as in, Jewish people were more entitled of God's grace then others, and they were special over other nations, and particularly God's chosen people, while Quran in fact even alludes to them not being offspring of Jacob or even Abraham or Noah, but a group of believers that were called children of Israel by a parable type name (I will get into this a bit more), while in fact, God saved believers time and time again, and so the last group of believers saved by Moses' were special in that regard, in that they were believers to be favored with having divinely appointed Kings and Prophets among themselves, but, in no way did it mean this lineage to Jacob - special type people thing. In fact, this propaganda is so rooted, that even Quran clarification of it is not seen by Muslims as well.

Out of 2, I see why it's all emphasized that nations grew out of Noah's sons, and not a group of believers as a nation were saved. It's to give, well this is not just the case of Abraham and Jewish people, this whole people or nations coming down to a person or two is normal. And this is why we also have Adam and Eve as the literal first two humans by which all humans literally came from. The Quran shows those who followed Abraham, were "of him" and so there were believers in Abraham apart from his offspring.

The believers in the household of Abraham, those who held on to the chosen ones, were eventually oppressed. They are known as a group as children of Israel. They include believers that according to Quran came from all parts of the earth because Abraham was such that people came from all over the earth to him.

It's not rational to assume, that somehow, out of the believers, the offspring of Jacob were found in one location and there was no mixing of other ancestors. It can't even be imagined as possible by the way humans function.

And so all the stories of nations born out this person and that person, are all geared to this oh we are special group of people mindset which Quran disagrees with.

Now because of this mindset, the Torah that character assassinates others like Ishmael, Lot, etc, and we will see later, is pretty harsh regarding Aaron after having chapters and chapters testifying to him and building the case for him and covenant in him.

The problem with this, it's a contradiction at the foundation. In the beginning, it's making the case, God's chosen are without blemish and are righteous. Then you get to Aaron and Saul, and you are like wtf is going on. Same with Lot and his daughters doing it with him.

3. The other distortion that takes place is by immoral laws or commands that Torah claims of God. These distortions include slavery.

That said, The tower of Babel, I don't know to be honest, but it seems like this is warning of one world government in the wrong hands. So kind of makes sense.

As for Hajar, I don't acknowledge her existence, I don't believe in slavery. So the whole story is suspect. It doesn't make sense to me, it justifies cruelty in the form of cruelty but get's worse when Sarah's jealous and the harsh treatment to Hajar is seen as legit and praiseworthy almost.

The distortion that occurred to me is obviously motivated to downplay the promise of God in Ishmael and his offspring, that God heard, and to down play the twelve princes promised in his offspring.

And this is because of the Jewish central identity thing that Iblis wanted to make it about, as opposed, to we are a people and we are to be born out of the light of God's chosen ones type meaning.

Even Arabs, they aren't all born out of Ismail. This is a lie, and not rationally possible.

And we aren't all offspring of Adam and Eve, all this none-sense, which we know not rationally and not scientifically is possible has to stop.

InvestigateTruth

1In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

3And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. 5God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.
6And God said, “Let there be a vault between the waters to separate water from water.” 7So God made the vault and separated the water under the vault from the water above it. And it was so. 8God called the vault “sky.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the second day.
9And God said, “Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear.” And it was so. 10God called the dry ground “land,” and the gathered waters he called “seas.” And God saw that it was good.
11Then God said, “Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds.” And it was so. 12The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good. 13And there was evening, and there was morning—the third day.
14And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times, and days and years, 15and let them be lights in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth.” And it was so. 16God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. 17God set them in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth, 18to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day.
20And God said, “Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the vault of the sky.” 21So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living thing with which the water teems and that moves about in it, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. 22God blessed them and said, “Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the water in the seas, and let the birds increase on the earth.” 23And there was evening, and there was morning—the fifth day.
24And God said, “Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: the livestock, the creatures that move along the ground, and the wild animals, each according to its kind.” And it was so. 25God made the wild animals according to their kinds, the livestock according to their kinds, and all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.
26Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”
27So God created mankind in his own image,
in the image of God he created them;
male and female he created them.
28God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”
29Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds in the sky and all the creatures that move along the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food.” And it was so.
31God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the sixth day.

My comments:

Right away, if this is from God, it's a huge test. The first question, is, how can our souls know it is true? How can it verify it.

If it's literal, the story is over, we can't verify it, as rationally especially at the time it was revealed, we didn't have the means to verify it. If it's metaphoric, what does it mean then?

Is water metaphoric here? Is Sky metaphoric here? Is Sun and moon also metaphors, stars, metaphors....

In this case what is talking about?.... Is earth, vegetation, is it all literal? It's partially literal and partially not?

And if it is literal what is referring to? I will take a guess at that in the next post as a possible framework that it makes of metaphors later to be emphasized in the Bible.
I suggest you read commentary of St. Agustin on the six days creation. Also, have a look at 6 age creation.
Quran confirms creation is six days. It just gives a briefer account as confirmation of the Bible.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I suggest you read commentary of St. Agustin on the six days creation. Also, have a look at 6 age creation.
Quran confirms creation is six days. It just gives a briefer account as confirmation of the Bible.

Funny how you literal where you want to be, but ultra metaphoric when it comes to all the verses about the day of judgement lol.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
@Link -

This appears to be little more than another “The Quran is always right, that where Jewish and/or Christian Scripture differ with the Quran it is because those scriptures have been distorted and corrupted” thread.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
1In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

3And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. 5God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.
6And God said, “Let there be a vault between the waters to separate water from water.” 7So God made the vault and separated the water under the vault from the water above it. And it was so. 8God called the vault “sky.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the second day.
9And God said, “Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear.” And it was so. 10God called the dry ground “land,” and the gathered waters he called “seas.” And God saw that it was good.
11Then God said, “Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds.” And it was so. 12The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good. 13And there was evening, and there was morning—the third day.
14And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times, and days and years, 15and let them be lights in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth.” And it was so. 16God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. 17God set them in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth, 18to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day.
20And God said, “Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the vault of the sky.” 21So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living thing with which the water teems and that moves about in it, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. 22God blessed them and said, “Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the water in the seas, and let the birds increase on the earth.” 23And there was evening, and there was morning—the fifth day.
24And God said, “Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: the livestock, the creatures that move along the ground, and the wild animals, each according to its kind.” And it was so. 25God made the wild animals according to their kinds, the livestock according to their kinds, and all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.
26Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”
27So God created mankind in his own image,
in the image of God he created them;
male and female he created them.
28God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”
29Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds in the sky and all the creatures that move along the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food.” And it was so.
31God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the sixth day.

My comments:

Right away, if this is from God, it's a huge test. The first question, is, how can our souls know it is true? How can it verify it.

If it's literal, the story is over, we can't verify it, as rationally especially at the time it was revealed, we didn't have the means to verify it. If it's metaphoric, what does it mean then?

Is water metaphoric here? Is Sky metaphoric here? Is Sun and moon also metaphors, stars, metaphors....

In this case what is talking about?.... Is earth, vegetation, is it all literal? It's partially literal and partially not?

And if it is literal what is referring to? I will take a guess at that in the next post as a possible framework that it makes of metaphors later to be emphasized in the Bible.
I think you have to view this in the context of what GENRE the story is, which is Creation Myth. I mean, if you read a similar story from the Zulu tribe, you would know right away the context. Basically, it is not historical or scientific, but it does teach certain eternal truths, such as God is the creator, creation has order to it, and very importantly, that it is good.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
The question arises, if humans were in his image, after, what is it referring to before? It's referring to who we were pre-coming to a vulnerable state. Adam and Eve when created, were created by clay like nature. This means they took on physical form away from the initial garden. The garden lived within them, and they were there, yet they were also a physical being.
The image that is referred to is the traits of God such as having justice, mercy, love, goodness, and especially free agency and moral sentience. IOW the best part of us, those things which animals do not have. Some would add an immortal soul.

It has nothing to do with our physical form. God does not have a body, either physical or a spiritual form that has a head, arms, fingers, etc. All mention of these things are merely anthropomorphisms of God.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The image that is referred to is the traits of God such as having justice, mercy, love, goodness, and especially free agency and moral sentience. IOW the best part of us, those things which animals do not have. Some would add an immortal soul.

It has nothing to do with our physical form. God does not have a body, either physical or a spiritual form that has a head, arms, fingers, etc. All mention of these things are merely anthropomorphisms of God.

Yeah I agree.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The story of Isaac, Jacob, and Joseph, seems to be telling, to me, it's not all of the offspring of Abraham or Isaac that are chosen, but it particularly refers to the fact, chosen ones like Joseph who is superior to his brothers and way higher then them, that which the covenant pertains to. Going back to the twelve princes and talk of making Abraham and his chosen offspring King, it seems, that Ishmael was a means of how God hears the prayer of Abraham as well, and responds to it, and his name means "God hears". Of course, to make it about twelve sons doesn't make sense to me, especially with how his authority (Abraham) was emphasized in that talk.

The banishment story also doesn't make sense to me, as I don't believe in slavery was ever allowed let alone that God would condone the cruel behavior towards Hajar, so to me, it's obvious it's part of how the Torah was distorted to make it not about God's chosen Kings and Messengers only, but more about Jewish people as an being chosen.

The envy towards God's chosen includes even brothers of Joseph towards Joseph. And so this also a way to prepare people for the concept of chosen offspring in Aaron which I will discuss, why I believe, it prepared people for the covenant and then went 180 degrees against that covenant.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
The banishment story also doesn't make sense to me, as I don't believe in slavery was ever allowed
a. Allowed? Allowed by whom? This is before the giving of the Torah.
so to me, it's obvious it's part of how the Torah was distorted to make it not about God's chosen Kings and Messengers only, but more about Jewish people as an being chosen.
b. This is different than the Quran making Muslims chosen, how?