• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Comment On The Debate

Friend of Mara

I get to offer some pop psychology too....
Democrats offer security, & control over scary things like the
economy, big corporations, health care, employment, etc.
They tend to see the President as a parental figure who'll
protect & care for them. This explains why they focus so
much more on the President's personality & behavior than
on actual public policy. They want someone to respect,
love, & admire.
I disagree with any sweeping statements for a political party. I was talking about Trump's behavior specifically. I wouldn't say the same thing about Bush or Mitt Romney or "X" other republican politician. This is a specific point on the emotional appeal of a tyrant character who postures and boasts of their strength. Though I am not as old as you probably I haven't seen a lean of identity politics from libs. I guess cancel culture? But I think that isn't that they care about the personality but rather believe that if you are a piece of **** then you will make pieces of **** out of the laws you make. I don't know I could be stretching. I would argue that Trump's personality is 90% of what his base votes for. For example someone not to far from me has a 9 by 6 giant banner of Trump's head photoshoped onto a super muscular body holding a Rambo style gun with explosions in the back ground. You see how that is fanaticism rather than just liking his policies?

Thats a hot take on democrats. It doesn't really follow specifically with dems but the general desire that authoritarians have maybe? Though a clear difference that has been conservatives and progressives is how they view the world. Conservatives tend to view the world though a "personal" lenses and their "in group" is smaller. The progressives tend to view the world through a "society" and their "in groups" tend to be larger. This can most notably be found in the general attitudes towards immigrants and minorities.

I'm sure there are some Freudian study somewhere that is going to hyper analyze the parental relationship and political ideology. Though the though that the need for a father/mother figure is a bit weak in general. Mostly because political identity is mostly derived from location and what you were raised in. Though again there is also counter-arguments to be had there as well. Examples are the higher educated you become the more likely you are to be liberal despite up-bringing. People that are well traveled tend to be more liberal as well. Though making more money tends to make one more conservative. Age tends to make one more conservative. And lastly whatever media you consume becomes a proxy for the normal social indoctrination your local area provides.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
They could have no power whatsoever if it had not been given to them from above. (John 19:11)

Except they don't realize that. They take too much pride in themselves to acknowledge that any success they seem to be having ought to go back to where it really comes from. They ought to give the glory to God.

But instead, the success they have is owed to the cash contributors. And if they weren't the lowest of men to begin with, then they'd never get elected.
If god deserves credit for our successes, then so too does he deserve credit for our failures.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
To me it's a mistake to call such people 'conservatives'. There are many thoughtful and rational conservatives who I heartily disagree with but who reject emotional circuses.

Such people are populating groups that want Trump gone and are ponying up money as well.

I think this is important to note. I'm kinda centre-left, and I don't see conservatives as my opponents in any larger sense.
I see people trying to quell meaningful discussion, and rational decision-making as my opponent. Sure, there are plenty of those types on the conservative side of politics, but they're not just there. And equally, conservatives (even those I disagree with) are important to democratic process where they are promoting thought and debate. Proper debate, I mean, not this tv farce.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I think this is important to note. I'm kinda centre-left, and I don't see conservatives as my opponents in any larger sense.
I see people trying to quell meaningful discussion, and rational decision-making as my opponent. Sure, there are plenty of those types on the conservative side of politics, but they're not just there. And equally, conservatives (even those I disagree with) are important to democratic process where they are promoting thought and debate. Proper debate, I mean, not this tv farce.
I'm sure conservatives in Australia aren't quite like those in the U.S. For example, they don't regard guns and flags as sacred relics? Nor do they desire to turn Australia into a scientifically illiterate theocracy?

amorphous_constellation

The thing people don't realize is that a lot of Trump's supporters LIKE that whole 'obnoxious bullyboy' shtick. They've been listening to Rush Limbaugh railing against liberals and democrats for decades, and they loved Bill O'Reilly when he would shout down his opponents and turn off their mikes. There are countless 'conservative' media blowhards on TV and radio both nationally and locally spewing the same petty, insulting, dishonest, boorish nonsense as we saw Trump spewing last night. And all these media bullyboys (and girls) have their audiences. People tune in for it, because they LIKE it. And these same people like Trump when he does it. And the more outraged the rest of us, the better they like it.

Oh believe me, I can show you far-left youtubers coming up from my generation (the millennials) picking up the same exact tools, gaining hundreds of thousands of views. Their tactic however, is often to cannibalize the left. I could tell them that I am for a large number of left wing issues, but if I slip up somewhere and step out of line with something, they would publicly throw me right on the pile. They'll even make videos putting down Andrew Yang, for god's sake. That's something I won't follow along with. As to why this kind of thing appeals to people, well people always are searching for a place in their lives where they can let loose their reckless energy, as they have to be serious about so many other things. The problem is, politics is NOT the place for that. We shouldn't elect people because they are 'entertaining' or do or say things that are off the cuff. They elect them however, because they are so disenchanted with how serious they have to be with any other part of life

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Last edited:

Friend of Mara

I responded only to the part of your post about Trump's
intended audience...by addressing the opposing audience.
I am aware. I just don't think it's a comparable comparison given the unique qualities of trump's leadership vs a semi accurate generalization of a political ideology. I mean I see where you are coming from and maybe there is something there. I disagree on the surface level of the claim people who want society focused government programs want them as a parent figure. If this is off of my "daddy" comment it was somewhat hyperbolic for the sake of making a point. Only somewhat though.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I am aware. I just don't think it's a comparable comparison given the unique qualities of trump's leadership vs a semi accurate generalization of a political ideology. I mean I see where you are coming from and maybe there is something there. I disagree on the surface level of the claim people who want society focused government programs want them as a parent figure. If this is off of my "daddy" comment it was somewhat hyperbolic for the sake of making a point. Only somewhat though.
If there are traits associated with one party,
then it's expected that there'd be traits
associated with the other. You opined
about one. I about its doppelganger.

There's a danger invoking pop psychology.
It can be applied to anyone.

Last edited:

Friend of Mara

If there are traits associated with one party,
then it's expected that there'd be traits
associated with the other. You opined
about one. I about its doppelganger.

There's a danger invoking pop psychology.
It can be applied to anyone.
Again it isn't about the republican party or conservatives values. Its about the guy down the street from me with a 8/5 foot banner of Trump's head photoshoped on rambo's body with explosions in the background. The kind of person that watches Trump's behavior (regardless of policy) and says "thats the kind of guy I want leading our nation" was the target of my pop psychology. And so far with every person I've met....it seems to be the case. Again its just speculation. Just so far accurate speculation.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Again it isn't about the republican party or conservatives values. Its about the guy down the street from me with a 8/5 foot banner of Trump's head photoshoped on rambo's body with explosions in the background. The kind of person that watches Trump's behavior (regardless of policy) and says "thats the kind of guy I want leading our nation" was the target of my pop psychology. And so far with every person I've met....it seems to be the case. Again its just speculation. Just so far accurate speculation.
I've nothing to add.