• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

my boyfriend worships Thors and i dont understand please help!

Heather82

Hi everyone. First off, I want to say that in no way is this post meant to offend anyone. I'm sorry if I come off as rude or offensive but I'm just trying to figure some things out and trying to understand.

My boyfriend is a follower of Thor. Until I met him, I didn't even know that there were people in this world who thought Thor was real. In my mind, its something ancient people made up because they didn't understand how the universe works so they made up, for example, The God of Thunder, to explain where thunder comes from. I can't believe that an otherwise intelligent and fairly normal person could actually believe something that seems so utterly absurd to me. To me, this is the same as if he told me he thinks The Lord of the Rings is real. I just don't get it. I never bring it up because the one time I tried to talk to him about what exactly he believes, I got totally freaked out and he told me if I can't accept his religion, I can get out. So I try to pretend it doesn't exist and that he doesn't really believe this because I can't accept the fact that someone I love so much can believe something like this is real. He also apparently thinks he's a bear or something. I don't get it. I don't ask.

So this is why I'm here asking you all exactly what it is that you believe. Do you believe there is an actual God named Thor that exists and that it wasn't just made up by people who didn't have modern science? Do you believe that thunder and lightning is a result of a God or a result of a cold front meeting a warm front? What exactly is it that you believe? I'm just looking for some answers and a way to try to be more accepting of this because right now I hate and despise the fact that he has these beliefs.

Again, I'm truly sorry if I've offended anyone, but I really would appreciate any info you could give me.

Thank you!

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
Hi everyone. First off, I want to say that in no way is this post meant to offend anyone. I'm sorry if I come off as rude or offensive but I'm just trying to figure some things out and trying to understand.

My boyfriend is a follower of Thor. Until I met him, I didn't even know that there were people in this world who thought Thor was real. In my mind, its something ancient people made up because they didn't understand how the universe works so they made up, for example, The God of Thunder, to explain where thunder comes from. I can't believe that an otherwise intelligent and fairly normal person could actually believe something that seems so utterly absurd to me. To me, this is the same as if he told me he thinks The Lord of the Rings is real. I just don't get it. I never bring it up because the one time I tried to talk to him about what exactly he believes, I got totally freaked out and he told me if I can't accept his religion, I can get out. So I try to pretend it doesn't exist and that he doesn't really believe this because I can't accept the fact that someone I love so much can believe something like this is real. He also apparently thinks he's a bear or something. I don't get it. I don't ask.

So this is why I'm here asking you all exactly what it is that you believe. Do you believe there is an actual God named Thor that exists and that it wasn't just made up by people who didn't have modern science? Do you believe that thunder and lightning is a result of a God or a result of a cold front meeting a warm front? What exactly is it that you believe? I'm just looking for some answers and a way to try to be more accepting of this because right now I hate and despise the fact that he has these beliefs.

Again, I'm truly sorry if I've offended anyone, but I really would appreciate any info you could give me.

Thank you!

Most modern practitioners of the religion do not believe the literal "myths" as they are written. The religion is more about honouring ancestors and living a noble lifethan it is about believing in any deities. Even those who believe in the deities don't believe that they are literally the cause of the natural phenomena. For example, I am agnostic about the actual existence of the deities, but either way I don't believe that Thor is the literal cause of Thunder. Thunder and lightning are just symbols of him and are associated with him, as a God of war and strength. A lot of it to me is more archetypal than literal. However I do believe in nature spirits and Gods, and Thor may be simply a nature God associated with Thunder.

No matter what, you shouldn't be worried about the mental well-being of your boyfriend for following Thor. You should really be glad that it's Thor and not a God from a less-tolerant religion. And by the way, your post was very offensive (at least to me) and an ignorant outlook on the religion. Maybe next time you could ask a question showing at least a slight amount of acknowledgement that this is an actual religion, and maybe some respect toward the people who follow it.

Jacksnyte

Reverend
Isn't this a DIR, Skwim? Just sayin'!

Anyway, my question is, why is it that people tend to belittle someone's choice of faith whenever it happens to not be "of the Book"(ie-Christianity/Judaism/Islam), in this case Asatru? Has the OP even made an actual attempt to research and understand exactly what it is her boyfriend believes in?

Jacksnyte

Reverend
Yes it is, and my understanding is that anyone can post in a DIR as long as it addresses the points of the OP in a respectful manner, and one doesn't enter into debate.
Ok, no offense meant :) Just want to be clear, as I have had some posts yanked for less...

FlyingTeaPot

Irrational Rationalist. Educated Fool.

Thank you!
Are you an atheist? Also, I think you should talk to him about this. Avoiding will only exacerbate the problem and might lead to resentment down the road. It is best to understand and let him explain exactly WHY he believes what he believes.

Heather82

Wow. I'm honestly just trying to understand exactly what it is that people believe. Yes, maybe I'm a bit intolerant or ignorant of this religion because I'd never even heard of it 2 years ago and didn't know that people believe such things. I can't really talk to him about it because he doesn't seem to want to explain it. I've done tons of research but I wanted to hear from actual people what it is that they believe. I'm trying to not be "ignorant" about it anymore.

Heather82

I guess I'm an atheist. I was raised Christian and very involved in church but as I ot older, I really stopped having any religious beliefs

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
I have a question that relates to the subject. Isn't thor apart of the Norse/Scandinavian culture?

Jacksnyte

Reverend
Wow. I'm honestly just trying to understand exactly what it is that people believe. Yes, maybe I'm a bit intolerant or ignorant of this religion because I'd never even heard of it 2 years ago and didn't know that people believe such things. I can't really talk to him about it because he doesn't seem to want to explain it. I've done tons of research but I wanted to hear from actual people what it is that they believe. I'm trying to not be "ignorant" about it anymore.

I would suggest more research from sources written by actual practitioners. You will find that this religion is much more widespread than you might imagine. I would encourage you not to let your Christian upbringing color your opinions on the issue of this, or any other religion if you can. From the wording of your posts regarding Asatru, you come off as very antagonistic towards your boyfriend's chosen faith.

Heather82

I'm sorry to sound so antagonistic. Its just something that I've been struggling with for a while. Do you know of any sources I could look up online? I can't really find any good information anywhere.

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
Heather thanks for answering that question. One more thing. What bothers me about this is he said either accept his religion or get out. Sounds a bit intolerant to me.

Jacksnyte

Reverend
Heather thanks for answering that question. One more thing. What bothers me about this is he said either accept his religion or get out. Sounds a bit intolerant to me.

If she was wording things the way she worded her earlier posts on the subject, he probably felt that she was attacking and belittling his faith, which probably dissapointed him greatly, and gave him the idea that she was less tolerant than he had thought she was.

Heather82

I should mention that he said this to me a year ago when we were going through a rough time in our relationship. Things are completely different now between us but I've been afraid to bring it up again. I didn't word things quite so harshly to him. I did say that I don't understand it and that things I've looked up online freak me out.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
***Mod Post***

This is the Paganism DIR. If you do not identify yourself as Pagan, please post in accordance with rule 10.

10. Discuss Individual Religions Forums
The DIR forums are for the express use for discussion by that specific group. They are not to be used for debate by anyone. People of other groups or faiths may post respectful questions to increase their understanding. Questions of a rhetorical or argumentative nature or that counter the beliefs of that DIR are not permitted. Only posts that comply with the tenets or spirit of that DIR are permitted. DIR areas are not to be used as cover to bash others outside the faith. The DIR forums are strictly moderated and posts are subject to editing or removal.

Last edited: