• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My boss is replacing all his employees with Jehovah's Witnesses

Alceste

Vagabond
Keep notes and when the time is right, go to the newspapers with this, Alceste.

Nah, it's a small town. He's already notorious. The only thing an "expose" would accomplish is to make me notorious too. I'm also actively seeking work, so I need to be cautious about my image.

Funny, though, I actually did get another job today. I start tomorrow. I will tell this JW fool my car has broken down or something while I check out the landscaping job tomorrow. If I like it, I'll tell him to go **** himself - right after pay day, and after I get a chance to slip a business card into the hands of all my music students. The timing should work out pretty good, but if he still owes me money when I leave it will be a more polite version of telling him to go **** himself.

Alceste

Vagabond
So here's an update, I found a job I like better with more hours for more money, and it teaches me skills I've really want to learn for a long time. I have a really awesome boss. I made an excuse and skipped work on Wednesday to start my new job. On Monday I'm going to get my last check out of him, tell my students I'm leaving (and give them a business card) and quit. I will tell him it's because he's been chiseling away at my shifts to hand them to somebody from his church - and has already laid off a good worker to install somebody else from his church - and that isn't cool with me (to hell with the law).

blackout

Violet.
So here's an update, I found a job I like better with more hours for more money, and it teaches me skills I've really want to learn for a long time. I have a really awesome boss. I made an excuse and skipped work on Wednesday to start my new job. On Monday I'm going to get my last check out of him, tell my students I'm leaving (and give them a business card) and quit. I will tell him it's because he's been chiseling away at my shifts to hand them to somebody from his church - and has already laid off a good worker to install somebody else from his church - and that isn't cool with me (to hell with the law).

Good for you! :hearts:

Alceste

Vagabond
OK - I'm wigging out now - it's my last day working here but my boss doesn't know that yet. He's coming in later but I'll be teaching and won't be able to talk to him - I don't know if I should call and tell him over the phone right now or what. I'm anxious as hell. I should probably do it now so I can call people to cover the rest of my shifts this week, and to get my mind off it.

I don't look forward to this conversation. He's such a hard person to talk to.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
OK - I'm wigging out now - it's my last day working here but my boss doesn't know that yet. He's coming in later but I'll be teaching and won't be able to talk to him - I don't know if I should call and tell him over the phone right now or what. I'm anxious as hell. I should probably do it now so I can call people to cover the rest of my shifts this week, and to get my mind off it.

I don't look forward to this conversation. He's such a hard person to talk to.

Send him a text this evening.

Alceste

Vagabond
Jeez - I'm shaking now - that was an unpleasant conversation. He said "you have to give me two weeks notice - this isn't fair" and I said "You know what isn't fair, Merv, it's laying off staff to replace them with people from your church, and cutting back my hours to give them to people from your church". He said "You know why I'm getting people from my religion, it's because I can trust them." Anyway, there was definitely drama. I expect him in any minute to tell me to go home.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Jeez - I'm shaking now - that was an unpleasant conversation. He said "you have to give me two weeks notice - this isn't fair" and I said "You know what isn't fair, Merv, it's laying off staff to replace them with people from your church, and cutting back my hours to give them to people from your church". He said "You know why I'm getting people from my religion, it's because I can trust them." Anyway, there was definitely drama. I expect him in any minute to tell me to go home.

So he also has no problem being a hypocrite. What a gem of a person. Good riddens.

Alceste

Vagabond
So he also has no problem being a hypocrite. What a gem of a person. Good riddens.

Yeah, loyalty is a one way road for this guy. He's outraged that I quit with no notice but he thought nothing of slamming me with a 75% reduction in hours without notice in the spring when he brought in the first JW and gave him 2 of my shifts, and he thought nothing of telling me last Monday night that he didn't need me Tuesday morning (the other JW got those hours).

I'm a little irritated that I'm still here to be honest. I thought he'd come kick me out, but I have 2 hours to go, then I've got 7 students.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yeah, loyalty is a one way road for this guy. He's outraged that I quit with no notice but he thought nothing of slamming me with a 75% reduction in hours without notice in the spring when he brought in the first JW and gave him 2 of my shifts, and he thought nothing of telling me last Monday night that he didn't need me Tuesday morning (the other JW got those hours).
You may want to remind him that his reduction in your hours could very likely constitute constructive dismissal. If you're fired (which is what constructive dismissal amounts to, basically) you don't have to give him notice, AFAIK.

Sometimes, even if you quit, the law will say that the employer forced you to quit and actually fired you. This is called "constructive dismissal". To prove it, you would have to show that you had no reasonable choice, other than quitting. That’s hard to show. Constructive dismissal may apply if the employer has changed any important part of your job without your consent, such as your pay, your job duties, or your job title.
If You're Fired: Wrongful Dismissal

Of course, given what you've told us of this guy, it sounds like it might not make a difference to him.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

I'm a little irritated that I'm still here to be honest. I thought he'd come kick me out, but I have 2 hours to go, then I've got 7 students.

The icing on the cake is that he'll just use this as further evidence that he was right for stealing your hours to give to somebody from his church. You see, I can't trust people who aren't a part of my church!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It's ironic your own ethics are so superior to his, given that he seems to think his ethics are derived from his god.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
My boss is a JW. A little while back he let go a long time employee and hired a JW to replace her. Then he hired another person who I met today. Turns out she is also a JW. Meanwhile he is making all kinds of noises to the two of us who are not JW that he needs to cut back on our hours "to save a few bucks", but I can't help but notice every shift we get shaved off our schedules is going to these JWs, who get paid the same as we do (I know, because I do the books).

Should I sue him or just quit? If I quit, should I do it in a fit of rage and cussing or should I properly train the JW who he has apparently pegged to replace me first?

Wow.. how seriously do you need the reference?

I wouldn't go down in flames.
I'd just say, I think I see what is going on here, so I'd like to leave since I don't see conversion in my future.