• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My boss is replacing all his employees with Jehovah's Witnesses

Alceste

Vagabond
My boss is a JW. A little while back he let go a long time employee and hired a JW to replace her. Then he hired another person who I met today. Turns out she is also a JW. Meanwhile he is making all kinds of noises to the two of us who are not JW that he needs to cut back on our hours "to save a few bucks", but I can't help but notice every shift we get shaved off our schedules is going to these JWs, who get paid the same as we do (I know, because I do the books).

Should I sue him or just quit? If I quit, should I do it in a fit of rage and cussing or should I properly train the JW who he has apparently pegged to replace me first?

Draka

Wonder Woman
I'd be draggin my butt to a lawyer if I was you. I certainly wouldn't be concerned with training a replacement if there is no legal reason for me to lose my job. That's me though.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
I'm not a lawyer, so I wouldn't know if you could sue him. You'd probably need strong evidence though. If you do quit instead then I guess you should tell him exactly why.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Does your province have a human rights tribunal? That's probably a good alternative to taking your boss to court.

Edit: either way, start documenting stuff now. Maybe you won't use it later, but if you do need it, it might come in handy.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I'd be draggin my butt to a lawyer if I was you. I certainly wouldn't be concerned with training a replacement if there is no legal reason for me to lose my job. That's me though.
I second the motion. Talk's cheap. See if you have recourse before you do anything rash.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
My boss is a JW. A little while back he let go a long time employee and hired a JW to replace her. Then he hired another person who I met today. Turns out she is also a JW. Meanwhile he is making all kinds of noises to the two of us who are not JW that he needs to cut back on our hours "to save a few bucks", but I can't help but notice every shift we get shaved off our schedules is going to these JWs, who get paid the same as we do (I know, because I do the books).

Should I sue him or just quit?

If you can sue him, sue him.

If I quit, should I do it in a fit of rage and cussing or should I properly train the JW who he has apparently pegged to replace me first?

Define "properly". :D

Seriously though, Alceste, what your boss is doing is wrong with a capital F. Don't you are make it easy for him. You owe yourself more than that.

Shermana

Heretic

Should I sue him or just quit? If I quit, should I do it in a fit of rage and cussing or should I properly train the JW who he has apparently pegged to replace me first?

I thought employers are allowed to hire whoever they want for the job. If this is the case, those Kosher restaraunts in LA and NY should be forced to hire non-Jewish cooks or something.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
This is one of those times, Alceste, when you should go for blood. Start by contacting an attorney.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
or the jugular

Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of giving him a paper cut. That'll show him.

By the way, Alceste, see if you can lodge a complaint with any professional organizations that he's a member of. Anything to drive away his business.

Last edited:

darkstar

It's tricky. You're allowed to hire whoever you want. You're not allowed however to fire someone to replace them on grounds of race, religion or sexual orientation. It's also not allowed to deny a whole group of people employment for those reasons either.
You need proof though, so document all you can.

It does seem dumb that your boss thinks he can get away with this however. He wouldn't get away with putting up a sign that says "No Atheists or Devil Worshipers need apply" for example.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
(You don't filch fries from his poutine, do you?)
I know it's an odd approach, but I'd suggest being candid.
Explain what you see & ask what's going on.
If a civil discussion is possible, then you'll know where you stand, & can better decide what to do next.

Otherwise, join his flock.
On the plus side, it'll give you something new to proselytize about.

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond
Documentation will be difficult because he is a terrible book-keeper. Everything is illegibly scribbled on sticky notes and torn scraps of paper, half of which travel around in his pockets until they are lost. The only person here who keeps detailed and easily located records on anything is me.

He has been sued before for violations of labour standards and it cost him thousands, but he doesn't pay his debts. I've won thousands in court before from an insane landlord and she never paid up. I wonder if it's worth the headache.

What I really want to do is open a competing music store with the other guy who works here and put this fool out of business. He has a wicked location though, which is how he manages to still be within $10,000 of "the black" - a pretty manageable debt load, especially since I sold over $2000 worth of instruments in a single day yesterday.

I could probably speed the collapse of his business by not showing up any more and not training my replacement. Then we could grab his location, which is rented.

I don't always scheme, but when I do I scheme big.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Documentation will be difficult because he is a terrible book-keeper. Everything is illegibly scribbled on sticky notes and torn scraps of paper, half of which travel around in his pockets until they are lost. The only person here who keeps detailed and easily located records on anything is me.

He has been sued before for violations of labour standards and it cost him thousands, but he doesn't pay his debts. I've won thousands in court before from an insane landlord and she never paid up. I wonder if it's worth the headache.

What I really want to do is open a competing music store with the other guy who works here and put this fool out of business. He has a wicked location though, which is how he manages to still be within $10,000 of "the black" - a pretty manageable debt load.

I could probably speed the collapse of his business by not showing up any more and not training my replacement. Then we could grab his location, which is rented.

I don't always scheme, but when I do I scheme big.
Alceste owning a business?
Oh, joy!
We could all watch your transmogrification from commie firebrand to fellow running dog of capitalism.
I'll teach you our secret handshake.