• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My bizarre church experiences:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I thought I'd share a few bizarre incidents that happened in churches I attended. They aren't meant to suggest a stain on what is being taught, and I hold no animosity toward Christians. The relevance to theological concepts will become apparent.

Story #1
From the balcony seats I watched an old man struggling to rise and sit as the minister repeatedly said to do so. On the fourth "all rise" he dropped dead from the exertion.

Story #2
The minister thought he could make Jesus seem more real by mentioning that every morning Christ would rise with halitosis and an erection. Bad breath and a b---r? I was so shocked!

Story #3
I attended one church where I was quickly warned that I could stay this once but must never return. Apparently, my being white was in defiance of God's intent at the Tower of Babel- or so they said.

Post your bizarre stories here!
Only bizarre church I've been in was Pentecostal. The rest you could say was just plain boring and repetitive. Same thing every Sunday over and over.

Vee

Premium Member
A few years ago I went to a catholic mass with some friends from school. The acoustic in the church was terrible and I couldn't understand anything the priest was saying so I kept busy by observing people. The man sitting behind me rapidly fell asleep, but every time people got up, he opened his eyes and got up as well, when it was time to clap he clapped and then he went back to sleep until the end of the service. At the time I found that "auto pilot" system hilarious.

whirlingmerc

Lol. It’s always possible though I don’t believe in demons or the existence of Satan. So there you go. I must have the demon of deception too not to believe as my Christian fundie brothers and sisters do. It was all a long time ago and I have a much better relationship with Christians I’m pleased to say.

That Tower of Babel story sounds pretty weird. Any idea what they were on about?

The Tower of Babel story seems a reasonable explanation for the scattering of nations and confusion of languages

If someone is looking for an explanation apart from God, they will be disappointed, that is if they hold a stick naturalism worldview.

whirlingmerc

I was accused of being demon possessed (evidently the demon of lust as I may have looked at the church elder's daughter the wrong way). As the church elders were praying over me I had this intense urge to physically strike the instigator of this nonsense. I never did of course but left the church a few weeks later.

Seems to me the better thing to do with someone given over to lust is to first tell them to repent in an appropriate manner - perhaps privately at first.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I thought I'd share a few bizarre incidents that happened in churches I attended. They aren't meant to suggest a stain on what is being taught, and I hold no animosity toward Christians. The relevance to theological concepts will become apparent.

Story #1
From the balcony seats I watched an old man struggling to rise and sit as the minister repeatedly said to do so. On the fourth "all rise" he dropped dead from the exertion.

Story #2
The minister thought he could make Jesus seem more real by mentioning that every morning Christ would rise with halitosis and an erection. Bad breath and a b---r? I was so shocked!

Story #3
I attended one church where I was quickly warned that I could stay this once but must never return. Apparently, my being white was in defiance of God's intent at the Tower of Babel- or so they said.

Post your bizarre stories here!
My Bizarre Story:

I had made a decision to be a success in the business world whether it cost me my wife and my children (just like my dad) -- my wife believed our marriage would last about 7 years (just like all the marriages she had seen)

We both gave our lives to Jesus on a Sunday morning and on Monday -- our marriage and lives were completely healed and changed.

Bizarre.