• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My basic understanding of Mahayana Buddhism

If we talk about Mahayana, it is more like a form of practice than that of Theravada.
Those who follow Mahayana usually involves and believes in practice and encouragement than involving in education and sutras.
They also encourage others to get involve in meditation rather than involving more in sutras and education.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
That's far too general, Peter, Mahayana encompasses many schools with a huge diversity of approach. So does Theravada actually!

Osal

If we talk about Mahayana, it is more like a form of practice than that of Theravada.
Those who follow Mahayana usually involves and believes in practice and encouragement than involving in education and sutras.
They also encourage others to get involve in meditation rather than involving more in sutras and education.

That's been my experience as well, at least as far as how I see Theraveda is presented online. I say this because the only Theravedins I know are those I encounter online. I compare this to the various Mahayana sanghas I've been involved with, each was more focused on practice than on study than the online Theravedins. The kagyu, for example, refers to itself as the "Practice Lineage". In the Kagyu they do engage in study of sutra and commentary, the real focus is on practice.

From the minute you walk in the door of the Mahayana sanghas I've been in, it's practice, practice, practice.

The Theravedins I've encountered online tend to seem more interested in scholarship and some are potent scholars. I often wonder if it's the same in Real World sanghas.

If there are Mahayana sanghas that promote study over practice, I'd like to know who they are.

Osal

I'm with you!!

I live in a large metro and we have only one Theraveda center and it caters, almost exclusively, to Asians. As I said most of my contact with T-Buddhists is online and the majority seem to focus on study. They're a veritable gold mine for knowledge of suttra, but pretty weak on practice. I might be expecting too much. My sangha is made up of some people who are like practice machines. Compared to their's my praactice is pretty weak too.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Theravada tends to follow more traditional venues as opposed to that of Mahayana which tends to be less formal than its counterpart.

Think of Theravada as being the "Catholics"
by which Mahayana are the "Protestants" of the bunch.

Osal

Theravada tends to follow more traditional venues as opposed to that of Mahayana which tends to be less formal than its counterpart.

Really? Protestants? I don't see it .....

Spiny Norman
That's the basic principle I have seen in both Mahayana, and Theravada School.
I mean both school of both tradition, focused on meditation, but Mahayana focus mainly on practices than reading sutras, and studying.

Rick O'Shez

Still much too general for me, we're not dealing with homogeneous wholes but with myriad sub-schools. As an example, Ajahn Chah would usually be labelled as Theravada but his approach had a strong Zen flavour.

Rick O'Shez

I mean both school of both tradition, focused on meditation, but Mahayana focus mainly on practices than reading sutras, and studying.

It would help if you gave us some specific sub-schools to compare directly. What is your own experience of Mahayana and Theravada schools?

Osal

I did a little research and there appears to be over a dozen subschools of Theravada ALONE. Figuring in the Mahayana schools would make any broad comparrison impossible for us seeing as it's unlikely that anyone here has sufficient knowledge to address the question.

Vishvavajra

Both focus on practice and study. What you're probably noticing is that the Theravadins one encounters online, most of whom are Western converts, tend to have a different attitude towards scripture than Buddhists generally. While it's true that Theravadins have a different view of scripture on the whole (as well as what counts as scripture), I don't think it's something that monks of the different traditions argue about when they meet. But what I think happens is that in the West Theravada attracts more converts of a particular mindset—i.e. with a particular attitude towards the importance of scriptural fidelity—which skews the sample considerably and doesn't necessarily reflect a difference between the traditions as a whole. A lot of that comes from converts' treating the Pali Canon as if it were the Bible.

Another thing that skews the sample is the fact that online people aren't practicing but discussing doctrinal things, so if you've never met Theravadins outside of the Internet, you might come to think that all they do is talk about scriptures. Or that they study before they practice, or in lieu of practice. I don't think that's true. All forms of Buddhism are centered on practice, with scriptures and doctrines as supplements to help along the way.

And let us not forget that, while practice groups will get you practicing first so that you'll have a better context for the scriptural study, Mahayana has a much larger canon of scriptures overall, some of which have received literal worship over the centuries. And the specifically Mahayana sutras talk at length about how meritorious it is to recite, copy, and expound on them.

Now, as for whether Theravadins have traditionally gone in for holding lay retreats and getting laymen practicing hard the way Mahayana schools do, I really don't know. But I suspect that in the West people of a Theravada bent aren't going to be content watching the monks do all the meditation practice. And the methods are actually very similar, even if Mahayana contains a wider diversity of methods.

Indeed, I would say that diversity is the main difference. There's diversity in the world of Theravada, but the Mahayana tradition has been much less hesitant to embrace a wide diversity of practices and skillful means in order to get everyone walking the Buddha path.

Vishvavajra

I'm afraid I can't agree with any of that. The Protestant vs. Catholic analogy is highly questionable to begin with, but if anything I would say it's the reverse. But really it's more like Mahayana is Eastern Orthodox and Theravada is restorationist Evangelical. ;)

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I'm afraid I can't agree with any of that. The Protestant vs. Catholic analogy is highly questionable to begin with, but if anything I would say it's the reverse. But really it's more like Mahayana is Eastern Orthodox and Theravada is restorationist Evangelical. ;)
I see it more like Theravada is more like Judaism and Mahayana is more like Christianity. (Christians made their own scriptures and brought in their own customs and practices.)

Rick O'Shez

Indeed, I would say that diversity is the main difference. There's diversity in the world of Theravada, but the Mahayana tradition has been much less hesitant to embrace a wide diversity of practices and skillful means in order to get everyone walking the Buddha path.

Yes. I think that's probably true.

Nicholas

Bodhicitta
The Chinese Mahayana blend the two nicely, with practice being focused on chanting, memorizing, meditating and studying sutras & shastras.